cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this option provide tracking?

Looking through the different options for shipping on a small item. I am curious about 2 things

1. Will this option provide me with a tracking number?

2. Will this option work ok with a bubble mailer that has a small item in it? (DS game)

shipping.jpgshipping 2.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

No, there will be no tacking number with a "Large envelope."

USPS categorizes First Class pieces into 3 categories: letters, flats (AKA Large envelopes) and packages.  Letters and flats do not include tracking (formerly known as Delivery Confirmation). 

If you print your postage through eBay, you will only find options for packages. You cannot print postage for letters or flats through eBay; you'd have to mail at the PO or just put stamps on it.  The cheapest postage available through eBay is $2.66 for a First Class package up to 4 ounces.

A bubble envelope that has a small item in it would probably not qualify to be mailed as a flat (i.e., Large envelope) anyway.   Flats must be no more than 3/4 inch thick and must have "even thickness" which USPS defines as a variation in thickness of no more than 1/4 inch.  Flats also must be flexible.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

so more or less with USPS my cheapest option for tracking is First class package. Correct?

If so, *BLEEP* I was hoping I could find a cheaper solution that includes tracking.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Correct: If you can't mail the item as a flat (i.e., meeting those requirements for dimensions, flexible etc.) then it has to be mailed as a package. And if you want tracking, your item must be mailed as a package.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

You could always risk sending it without tracking as standard mail.  If its not terribly valueable is it worth paying package rate and tracking? I often send in regular envelopes  surface mail and airmail for overseas.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@second-chance-sa1es wrote:
so more or less with USPS my cheapest option for tracking is First class package. Correct?

If so, *BLEEP* I was hoping I could find a cheaper solution that includes tracking.

cheaper is rarely better

Message 6 of 6
latest reply