cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Ebay ever implement a stronger policy regarding immediate cancellations?

Hello:

Probably, this topic has been discussed to death, but I think many will agree that changes are needed. I think it is very frustrating, inconvenient and, often, time consuming when you have "buyers" who will make an offer and then either not pay or ask for immediate cancellations. Not only do you, the seller, lose on what was supposed to be some income but, sometimes, your item is held hostage if you decide to play it out and open an unpaid item case. The strange thing is that Ebay sends you a message that, when you read it, it gives you the impression that they are eager to have you cancel the order. To me, that does not make sense because no sale means that there is no profit for the seller and Ebay is affected when they don't get the FVF.

Are there any plans to make a strict policy regarding "deadbeat buyers", as many tend to name them?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Will Ebay ever implement a stronger policy regarding immediate cancellations?

Ebay cannot force a buyer to pay.

If it is a problem use fixed price immediate payment required.

Also block those with 3 or more unpaid strikes,

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

Re: Will Ebay ever implement a stronger policy regarding immediate cancellations?

I have immediate payment with best offer. Still, I have had buyers ask for cancellations after paying.

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

You cannot have immediate payment on a best offer.

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

That came out wrong. I meant that I have both features on my listings, not that those two belong together. I mean that I have immediate payment for "Buy It Now" and many of my listings also have "Best Offer".

Anyways, what I am interested in knowing is if there has been any talk regarding a modification to the current policy. I ask because I don't spend a lot of time on this forum and maybe someone has more information regarding this matter.

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

To keep buyers and sales, I doubt Ebay is going to force buyers to buy when they have decided not to.  Ebay does give the seller three days to make a decision as to whether they will accept or decline the cancellation request, but it's not a good idea to decline the cancellation as that could mean more problems later.

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

I haven't heard or seen anything that indicates eBay may rescind this policy. If anything, they have strengthened buyer’s ability to cancel by allowing it within an hour of purchase, or agreement to purchase. What’s more,  in the policy wording, they advise how to request a return if it is too late to cancel.

This practice isn't going away anytime soon.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/canceling-order/canceling-order?id=4004

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

When I get a cancellation request either before or after payment, I cancel immediately, thank the buyer (who might come back), and move on to something else.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 8 of 50
latest reply

Trying to fight cancellations just means you are more likely to increase your returns.  Cancellations at the buyer's request do not hurt your selling account, but returns do.  And they are more costly to process than a cancellation.

I know they are annoying, but they are just part of doing business on the internet.  I don't like them any better than any other seller, but I know if I somehow convince the buyer to pay for the item and I ship it, it is highly likely that the next thing I know is I have a return request.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 50
latest reply

I would much rather have my buyer request to cancel prior to shipping it then have them change their mind after the fact. I have actually lengthened my handling time to account for possible buyer cancel requests. I have found my stress level has lowered since this change.

The one issue I have with the cancelations is that I lose the watchers on that item if it had watchers. At one time I was told (or read) that ebay used to email a watcher in the instance of an item being relisted. I don`t know if that info. is correct or if they do it.

In the event of non-payers due to auctions or best offers....I don`t do either so I don`t have the problem. I think the fastest turn around for these, filing a UPI, is 5 days? I guess they could lower that to a four day turn around or whatever. I`ve never put much thought into it.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 10 of 50
latest reply

The strange thing is that Ebay sends you a message that, when you read it, it gives you the impression that they are eager to have you cancel the order.

eBay has watched this play out over millions of transactions. eBay realizes  that forcing a buyer to pay for something he clearly does not want will just result in a return or dispute that just costs a lot more in the long run for both the seller (in terms of shipping costs) and eBay (in terms of customer support and and reputation).  

Are there any plans to make a strict policy regarding "deadbeat buyers", as many tend to name them?

No, because ...

a) they have no incentive to force buyers to make purchases they do not want

b) they have no mechanism to force buyers to pay

c) they don't even have a mechanism to positively identify a buyer 

d) cancellations are automatic and cost eBay nothing in terms of support  

The reality that most sellers overlook is that eBay has millions of sellers with billions of items. For the most part, if a seller's item is taken "off the market" and does not generate a commision for eBay they probably do not actually lose any revenue - because the buyer who would have bought the item will simply buy a similar item from a similar seller for a similar price. 

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

Would you rather they pay, get the item, file a case for inad and force you to pay return shipping?
Message 12 of 50
latest reply

Obviously, not. What I would like is for buyers to make up their mind before committing to buy. I think it is simple, yet complicated because of reasons outside of my hands.

I think I have read enough about this. Thanks to those who tried to help.
Message 13 of 50
latest reply

I agree with you.  I note in my auctions  payment is due within 3 days from the close of the auction . I wait the 3 days on the 4th / 5th day i contact & remind the buyer payment is due . if the buyer pays great but when they don't  respond / pay our product does not have another chance to sell until Ebay waiting time is thru . Ideal in one of a kind items so there it sits waiting to be relisted

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

What your saying in a roundabout way is Ebay need to figure it out. I hope they can because they don't always listen to us. Maybe an active credit card on a buyers file .That way the buyer card is charge just like we are charged at sell.

Message 15 of 50
latest reply