cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would ebay tick off half of their sellers?

In a couple of words....Good Til Canceled GTC goes up as one of the WORST policies ebay has implemented since I stared in 2000. Sales have declined. Which means LESS money for the greedy corporate bosses at ebay. Well done, nice job ebay!

Message 1 of 127
latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Re: Why would ebay tick off half of their sellers?

@sharingtheland wrote:

eBay execs noted the reason is that buyers apparently didn't like the catalog /  product page format.    

Now that's soooo ebay ^^^

Believe me, I'm happy to see the catalog/product page schmazzle shelved for a (very long) while but the reasons for doing so were not because buyers didn't like it; it was because the whole darn thing was such a hot mess that ebay realized it would have to spend considerable amounts of time and money to implement it successfully.

Because getting sellers to do the work for free wasn't such a good idea after all.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 31 of 127
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:
It looks like you have plenty of sales. I love GTC and have mostly used it for years. It keeps me from having to relist. The only issue I have and it might be just me but my shipping charges got messed up really badly recently. I mean they were 3x what they should’ve been. Thankfully a nice buyer let me know and I’m still working on figuring out which ones are messed up but I’ve never had that happen before.

The shipping charge mess might NOT be you.

I had one last week that was set to be flat rate FCP for $5.75 and that was what it showed when I looked at the listing (it was MQ), but the buyer got stuck with CALCULATED FCP at the PM rate of $9.80. And that was NOT my doing, so yes there's some issue going on.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 32 of 127
latest reply

@mam98031   wrote: " ... I just don't think it is HALF ... "

I agree and IMO "No, its not half" ... in literary terms that's known as a gross exaggeration ... like "everybody's doing it" ... it's a bold statement based on zero facts ... unless the facts are produced ... which they won't be ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 33 of 127
latest reply

Bottom line - GTC is so lame - Sellers with one off, hard to find, vintage items will loose sales.  The sellers with huge amounts of the same item it will not effect.  What makes ebay work - it's the uniqueness of the items.  If you want dollar store items or other run of the mill items go to Walmart.  Why does ebay want to tell you how to run your business when they seem to have a hard enough time running their own business.

Message 34 of 127
latest reply

Agreed, one of the Worst policies. I juggle about 100 items of inventory and avoid a listing fee. My profit margin is pretty low on many items that will sit for months before selling. I can't afford to pay for auto relists. I switched some listings to auction format and already have a non-paying bidder to deal with. Ebay does little to discourage that problem too.
Message 35 of 127
latest reply

I was thinking more than half would be upset, but maybe only half of us have noticed the change.Smiley Wink

Message 36 of 127
latest reply

Ebay is still living in fantasy land, where they actually can keep replacing sellers. As a longtime buyer this simply isn't true. Ebays running off of sellers over the years has rendered this site irrelevant to most people. There is little to find worth purchasing when your inventory is so generic. What was once Ebays biggest strength has become Ebays biggest weakness. Its become "just another place" with no real reason to choose it over anywhere else. Gone are the vast selection of unique products. Gone are the days of Ebay being the everything place. Gone are the days of Ebay being the first-stop for anything and everything. Ebay is just plain boring for buyers.

Message 37 of 127
latest reply

@tamaralea wrote:

I was thinking more than half would be upset, but maybe only half of us have noticed the change.Smiley Wink

You may be surprised to know, but Ebay has over 25 million active sellers. thinking

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 38 of 127
latest reply

"darkeyedman
In regard to the reply by kensgiftshop I want to ask why I see posts commenting on how much the OP is selling, now and before. How is it you have that info? Are you basing it on feed back, or do you have some way to see other seller's sales figures? It just makes me wonder if you are a concerned part of the community or an ebay troll."

They love to go through your accounts to prove you wrong in some way. Ignore the fault finders, the insensitive, the passive aggressive, the know it alls, the judgmental, and all the rest, some love to pounce on you, not the eBay game of how to sell on this ever changing site that doesn't know what it wants to be anymore when it grows up.

Ignore them, most do 🙂
Message 39 of 127
latest reply

Dumping place for your leftovers? And you don't need the money? What are you selling here for then?

Message 40 of 127
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@tamaralea wrote:

You may be surprised to know, but Ebay has over 25 million active sellers. thinking

I suspect eBay's "active sellers" number includes everyone who has ever listed anything on ebay. I would be willing to bet they have at least 100,000 "active sellers" who have been deceased for years.

Message 41 of 127
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@tamaralea wrote:

I suspect eBay's "active sellers" number includes everyone who has ever listed anything on ebay. I would be willing to bet they have at least 100,000 "active sellers" who have been deceased for years.

Completely true. More Ebay fluff. If they have that many active users I wonder what the other 24,500 million users spend there time doing here to be "active". Maybe they are actively avoiding this place. More Ebay spin

Message 42 of 127
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@tamaralea wrote:

You can Google the information for yourself and find active users.  The sites I've read the number on states that they gather their numbers from those that had been active sellers in the previous 90 day period.  

Membership on Ebay has also been growing.  The last few years I don't think it is at the rate Ebay or its sellers would like, but it is still growth.

I know that much of the negative comments just comes from the frustration some feel in regards to Ebay so they just throw stuff out there in hopes that it sticks.  But that doesn't make it true or accurate.

This information is available for all to see, just Google it if you have the desire to learn more.  If you don't, then just ignore it.  

Message 43 of 127
latest reply

@weschurch wrote:

@hioctane62 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@tamaralea wrote:

Completely true. More Ebay fluff. If they have that many active users I wonder what the other 24,500 million users spend there time doing here to be "active". Maybe they are actively avoiding this place. More Ebay spin

You continue to throw out numbers and the such but when asked for support, you never provide it.  Why is that?

BTW, I didn't say Ebay had "24,500 million users", so if you want to use something I said, please do it accurately.  What I said was there are over 25 million active seller worldwide.  If you want the active users of Ebay, that would be 180 million worldwide.  Again these numbers are available for you to see if you just Google it.

Message 44 of 127
latest reply

@the_boatwiser wrote:

Bottom line - GTC is so lame - Sellers with one off, hard to find, vintage items will loose sales.  The sellers with huge amounts of the same item it will not effect.  What makes ebay work - it's the uniqueness of the items.  If you want dollar store items or other run of the mill items go to Walmart.  Why does ebay want to tell you how to run your business when they seem to have a hard enough time running their own business.

I agree the GTC mandate is lame but as to the Sellers with one offs I am not so sure about that.  I have a number of those at all times listed both Auction and FP (now GTC) so I will monitor sales the next 3 months.  Jan - Mar this year 54% sales were Auction and 46% FP ... if those numbers hold Apr-Jun then there's no effect but if the GTCs drop then I will be more in your corner.

I guess my theory is that if 20 Sellers have a vintage thing and 100 Buyers Search for that thing all the Buyers will see ALL 20 items regardless of GT or Auction style, etc. ...  but say 1000 Sellers have Men's Large White T-Shirts ... which Sellers get to be on page #1 and which ones are on the bottom of the list?  I think GTC will have more effect on Saturated categories and eBay's thrust is to have them compete for position via Promotions and Promoted Listings, all splitting hairs on PL %s ...

Anyway, just a theory and I am sure others have their own ... time will tell.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 45 of 127
latest reply