cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there a icon of a lock on some of the selling discussion links?

Noticed a blue lock icon on two of the selling threads...I wanted to reply but can't get in to see them...anyone know why?  Also is there some place we can find out what attachments are allowed and which one's aren't...?  

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

The answer to "why is there a lock?" is probably because someone with moderator privileges chose to lock those threads.

The answer to "why did a moderator lock those threads?" would probably have to come from a moderator.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

You asked the same question a week or so ago!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

They will lock zombie threads that sometimes come up because someone searched a topic and replied to something many months or years old. Then the rest of us start piling on without realizing how out of date the thread is.

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

The answer to "why is there a lock?" is probably because someone with moderator privileges chose to lock those threads.

The answer to "why did a moderator lock those threads?" would probably have to come from a moderator.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a proto call of what's allowed in discussion seller board rooms...I keep seeing things not added to post...and recently I was responding to a post and bumped right out of it...are the restrictions getting so bad that we are bumped out of responding...give us the RULE's the can and can't do's...

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

I know but I didn't get a good enough answer...!!!  I got bumped out of a response to reply to a message and I had something good to add...why?

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I've seen threads locked because they are old ... I've seen threads locked because the OP asked to have them locked ... I've seen threads locked because they were moved to another board or group.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a proto call of what's allowed in discussion seller board rooms...I keep seeing things not added to post...and recently I was responding to a post and bumped right out of it...are the restrictions getting so bad that we are bumped out of responding...give us the RULE's the can and can't do's...

If you are getting bumped right out of a discussion in the middle of replying, that sounds more like a glitch rather than a rule or policy.

As for locks, at one time the person who started a thread could ask to have it locked and the mods would generally honor the request. Not sure if that is still the case.

I also believe there are threads started by eBay that are intended to be a discussion of a specific duration that are locked afterward.

But not knowing the nature of the threads you were referring to, the above may or may not apply.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

I know but I didn't get a good enough answer...!!!  I got bumped out of a response to reply to a message and I had something good to add...why?

Huh?  There is no other answer!

Why what - you're asking why I'm asking why you're asking the same question again?  LOL

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

Why what - you're asking why I'm asking why you're asking the same question again?  LOL

OP- you didn't get "bumped", the thread was locked before you responded. You can add kudos but cannot add a comment.

the threads are locked for a reason- sometimes because they're old, sometimes because the OP asks them to be locked, sometimes because they have become too contentious.

There is no other "good enough" answer.

last week you asked about protocols and I directed you to the blue hypertext links "About" and "Guidelines" on the top right hand side and encouraged you to read them.

there is also a help icon where you can type in your question to search the boards for similar questions from members.

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

If you are getting bumped right out of a discussion in the middle of replying, that sounds more like a glitch rather than a rule or policy.

As for locks, at one time the person who started a thread could ask to have it locked and the mods would generally honor the request. Not sure if that is still the case.

I also believe there are threads started by eBay that are intended to be a discussion of a specific duration that are locked afterward.

But not knowing the nature of the threads you were referring to, the above may or may not apply.

Thank you for helping me understand...I never intended any harm...as for old post Imight of generated some from googleing questions on how eBay is doing...they pop up all over the place on all the newiz threads updates...it's all there blogs...all kind's of such nothing hidden...very easy to see eBay's latest venues...interests etc. no big deal so I'm not trying to do anything wrong...

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@kaykeecorp wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

OP- you didn't get "bumped", the thread was locked before you responded. You can add kudos but cannot add a comment.

the threads are locked for a reason- sometimes because they're old, sometimes because the OP asks them to be locked, sometimes because they have become too contentious.

There is no other "good enough" answer.

last week you asked about protocols and I directed you to the blue hypertext links "About" and "Guidelines" on the top right hand side and encouraged you to read them.

there is also a help icon where you can type in your question to search the boards for similar questions from members.

Yes I know and I appreciated that...it's startling to get bumped out of a response...so I was in a glitch...that never happened before...also when I attached a quote only part of the quote came up in my responds that never happened before.  Guess I wasn't aware of all the glitches...

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

There is a "help" link and guidelines link at the top of page in blue;

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Welcome/Rules-of-Engagement/m-p/26164369

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Most posters do not want the old threads revived.  I start posting sometimes without realizing the OP is long gone and then see the thread was 2 years old.   Rules change so quickly here it isn't a good idea to read the older threads for guidance.

Also, sometimes when I post a link I get an error message (or something) and have to hit post again to get it to go through.  Maybe that's what you are calling getting bumped out since after a thread is locked there is no post option available.

There are posting rules posted to follow.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I've never really seen these type of glitches tho...no offense but it may be operator error.

I've typed too quickly sometimes and double clicked on post and I get errors etc.

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 15 of 19
latest reply