cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it as a seller and a buyer I get screwed

When I sold on here full time, I was held to such high standards by ebay and the customers. 

I purchased an item for $1200+ two weeks ago from a seller. After failing to ship, he abruptly cancelled my order today as "buyer requested cancellation." I left him negative feedback, which I never do, but I was furious he held my money for so long just to cancel. I looked today and he had the negative removed. Is there anything I can do to reinstate the negative? It was factual and to the point. I did not request to cancel. Doesn't seem fair at all. I've about had it with ebay in general as a buyer because a good 20-40% of my orders get cancelled, arrive damaged, or sellers misuse media mail. How is it I get shafted as a buyer and a seller most times. I purchased from this seller BECAUSE he had stellar 100% feedback, but it's apparent that's not true. He had over 1,000 feedback too, so he's not a newbie.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Why is it as a seller and a buyer I get screwed

@simply_toyz 

He got it removed because the LIED to Ebay.  When you do a cancellation and use the reason that it was at the buyer's request, the buyer is NOT allowed to leave negative FB.  So your seller got it removed.

I will give you a link below.  What you need to do is report the seller for the MISUSE of the Cancellation system as they told Ebay they asked for the cancellation and you did not.  There is no emails between you and the seller that even suggests such a thing.  They won't be able to reinstate the FB, but if the seller gets a few of these reports, they will get sanctioned.

The rules are still VERY stiff here for sellers.  It is just some sellers try to game the system and they depend on buyers NOT reporting them to Ebay as most will just move on.

https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicid=4022

Now if you need any other help on your return journey to Ebay, just let us know.  Do you have a good handle on how Managed Payment works?  If not, ask.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

For $1200, I'd be happy to have my money back and not worry about why negative feedback was removed.

In the heat of the moment, the feedback left may have violated policy.  Or since it was a 'cancelled' order, feedback qualified for removal.  

This is my posting user ID.
I have different user IDs for selling, buying and posting.
NOTE: Responders are eBay users like you that volunteer to help other users. We are not compensated by eBay.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

So my guess is the seller either never had the item, sold it elsewhere or damaged it. Of course he used buyer requested to cancel the order to prevent any dings or having to pay any fees. Follow MAM98031's advise and at least report the seller. Unfortunately not much else you can do. For the most part eBay has reputable sellers but I would for sure keep this sellers name on a list somewhere and not purchase from them again. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Be happy that eBay has a buyer Guarantee and if what you say transpired with this seller (not saying i did not) 

The obviously do not buy from them again and warn others about them 

Hope you have future happy purchases here  

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Over the years, countless sellers have come to this board arguing that a buyer who receives a refund should have absolutely no right to leave feedback because the seller "made it right".

I completely disagree with that argument and usually post to say so - but when I do I am often in the minority. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Some sellers are very knowledgeable in knowing how to  misuse eBay policies to gain an advantage.

Report the seller, then it's up to eBay

to undertake appropriate disciplinary action.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Over the years, countless sellers have come to this board arguing that a buyer who receives a refund should have absolutely no right to leave feedback because the seller "made it right".

I completely disagree with that argument and usually post to say so - but when I do I am often in the minority. 

This is not the same thing.  This is about leaving negative FB when the order is Cancelled At the Buyer's Request.  While the seller abused that as the buyer never asked for the cancellation.  Sellers are protected when this is the reason for a cancellation and buyers aren't allowed to leave negative or neutral FB.  This normally is a very good rule, except when you have a misbehaving seller.

For what it is worth, I also agree with you about buyers being able to leave FB after a return.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:
 This normally is a very good rule, except when you have a misbehaving seller.

More than once I have bought an item and had the seller message me to disclose something that was not in the listing. The most engregious example being a seller who messaged me after a 99 cents auction closed well over $100 to say "You do realize this is a fake, right?  I couldn't say that in the listing, but the starting price should have made it clear."

Unfortunately in these cases, the buyer has no option to warn others. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:
 This normally is a very good rule, except when you have a misbehaving seller.

More than once I have bought an item and had the seller message me to disclose something that was not in the listing. The most engregious example being a seller who messaged me after a 99 cents auction closed well over $100 to say "You do realize this is a fake, right?  I couldn't say that in the listing, but the starting price should have made it clear."

Unfortunately in these cases, the buyer has no option to warn others. 

Sure they do.  They don't have to tell the seller it is OK to cancel the transaction.  While it would take a little more of your time, you could have them ship it to you and then open an INAD after it arrives if what they said was true.  Then they get the ding in the Service metrics, you get your money back [however you will take a little of your time shipping it back] and you retain the right to leave FB.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Yeah - the feedback is a joke. I had a buyer with supposedly 100% positive but there was no feedback there. She never paid and I can't leave feedback? 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply