cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are buyers allowed to open item not received cases when tracking says otherwise?

A perfect example of this nonsense would be a recent buyer of mine who received an item, with a tracking number that proves this, yet they still opened a case against me the same day as delivery for an item not received. Both the buyer and ebay have full access to this tracking number, and they can all clearly see it shows the item was delivered. Perhaps this customer has thieving neighbors or simply an unfamiliar postal worker who delivered it to the wrong house by mistake, those are unfortunate realities. But I'm not liable for any of it. So why are they allowed to open a case that causes my funds to be frozen until I in person contact ebay customer service to get the case closed because the buyer refused to do so? I had already contacted the buyer directly with their tracking info, and tried to ascertain why they said the delivered package hadn't been delivered but they wouldn't respond to the case or my messages. Ugh. So why is it then all on me to to prove to eBay that an item that shows as delivered was actually delivered? Its an unfair hassle for busy sellers, and I'm puzzled as to why it's permissible in the first place. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Why are buyers allowed to open item not received cases when tracking says otherwise?

Because there are some sellers that scam buyers, shipping a box of rocks to a nearby address in the same zip. The 'tracking' will show delivered'. So, they can open the case, seller gives the tracking, ebay closes the case and if the buyer does some research, and that scam is the case, they can 'appeal' it and show USPS proof etc (can get printed GPS coordinates etc.) 

From a buyers standpoint, all they know is that it shows delivered and they didn't get it (sometimes)

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@inspired_for_life wrote:

So why is it then all on me to to prove to eBay that an item that shows as delivered was actually delivered? Its an unfair hassle for busy sellers . . .

Oh, I know. What a drag to have to enter a tracking number into a case. Sheer drudgery. And a waste of 90 seconds. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Because maybe they did not actually get it. As the previous poster said - porch pirates, wrong house delivery, etc.

All you need to do is put the tracking number on the claim and eBay will close it automatically with NO dings on your account. No need for any "hassle" - contacting the buyer, etc.

Put yourself in their shoes - tracking shows it delivered but you did not actually receive it - what would YOU do?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Because tracking is not always accurate.  I have had itemswith tracking that said "delivered" but the items came back to me marked as "undeliverable". 

Some sellers actually want to provide customer service to those buyers and not just say "tough luck, tracking says I win"

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

This is because eBay is out for the buyer and not the seller.

eBay could care less about the people that do all the work.

When Meg Whitman was President 1998 - 2008, eBay was a stellar company.

Since then, policies have come down the pike that have severely eroded confidence

of sellers.  Many have gone for good.

We sell $ 80-100 K consistently for the last 17 years.

We pay 11-12K per year in fees.  That is close to $ 200K since 2003 in fees.

PAID to people who do not have my back.

Paid to people who don't care if I sink or swim.

Call centers??   HA HA!!

Bring those jobs back to the US.

Now with Managed payments,  Ebay gets to use our money for 3-4 days, sometimes 5,

loaned out of 35% credit cards.

Best we all leave and open our own web-sites.

Minimize our interface with eBay,

In the last 10 years, Chinese made **bleep** has more than halved my revenue.

Do you think eBay would act AMERICAN and shut down all outfits that ship from CHINA?

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Because of all the rules that favor buyers, the scam-sellers are mostly gone.

Looking at my block bidder folder since 2003, most of the people we had trouble

with have closed their accounts.

eBay is all about buyers and hateful towards sellers.

They could care less about us.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I, as a buyer, am going through this right now. Fedex said the package was delivered but I was sitting near the door the whole day and a FedEx truck never even stopped outside of my building. Filed an ebay claim but they took one look at the tracking that says "delivered" and closed the case. Now I have to file a claim with FedEx, which only the shipper can do, and it is extremely time consuming and frustrating to do from the buyer's end. And after all this, if the FedEx claim goes through, the shipper gets the money anyways so theres no guarantee I'm ever going to get my money back or an item. 

If a buyer says their item isn't delivered but the tracking says it was, it's really not a hassle for you at all so please don't get frustrated with them, the are without their money AND their item.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@inspired_for_life wrote:

So why is it then all on me to to prove to eBay that an item that shows as delivered was actually delivered? Its an unfair hassle for busy sellers . . .

Oh, I know. What a drag to have to enter a tracking number into a case. Sheer drudgery. And a waste of 90 seconds. 

We aren't required to do that.  The ability to enter the tracking number into a case is only there for those that had not previously entered it into Ebay.  If the seller had it already in the system, they don't need to re-enter it.  But it doesn't hurt anything to do it again, it just isn't necessary to the outcome of the claim.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

INR with tracking is one of the only protections a seller has. If the buyer complains enough to the eBay reps, they probably will refund the buyer out of their pocket unless the buyer has made a habit out of it in the past on that particular account.

No sweat, just enter the tracking in the case.  Done deal. 

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@inspired_for_life 

Just because tracking says the package was delivered, doesn't mean the buyer got the package.

Last year I was waiting on a package, USPS come and gone, no package.

About 15 minutes later, I get an email saying my package had been delivered, no it wasn't.

I called the PO and they contacted my mail carrier and he had dropped it off at the wrong house.

About 20 minutes later, he was back with my package.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Recently had an INR.  Entered tracking and won case.  In the meantime, I called my PO in Georgia and got the GPS for the delivery of the package in MA.  Emailed it to the buyer.  She now has her item.  A little customer service goes a long way.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I don't know why that happened to you.  But you can always refuse the return.  Also message the buyer that someone in their household may have the item, or a neighbor.  If it's an expensive item, always get signature confirmation.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 wrote:

I don't know why that happened to you.  But you can always refuse the return.  Also message the buyer that someone in their household may have the item, or a neighbor.  If it's an expensive item, always get signature confirmation.

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 

The current claim the OP is dealing with is an INR, so no return is involved at this point.  If after this INR gets closed the buyer files an INAD the only way the seller can "deny" the request is if they file for a buyer remorse reason.  Any other reason the seller must process the return or refund the buyer and allow them to keep the item.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

ebay isn't known for its efficiency in design, at least not when it comes to the underlying code and function.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply