cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I've stopped packing things well

I have made the decision to stop buying packing peanuts. I will cut back on my bubble wrap purchases, and things will go into the smallest box possible.

I feel like I'm the last person to make this decision on eBay.

A stack of 11" dinner plates. Large flat rate box. No longer will I buy a larger box so that there is more than 1/2" of room. 

I list stuff and take into account the larger box and shipping goes high and it never sells, or the buyer balks at the price after the fact. I've had too many buyers argue that an 11" plate will fit into a 12" box! 

I bought 4 dinner plates from Amazon. They came in a box with 2, seriously, 2 air pillows.  I guess this is what pople expect? If it breaks, it's insured!

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Today on Fox news, Neil Cavuto show, there was a discussion of the pending overhaul of USPS. During the discussion it was pointed out that not only are they losing billions of dollars, but that they lose $1.50 on every package that they deliver for Amazon. That has got to stop. Giving Amazon all these types of breaks is what has put them in the position to now potentially start there own delivery service cutting out USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc. and they are ALL responsible for the situation they may find themselves in.

While it is possible that this may have been inevitable anyway, all that was accomplished by giving Amazon all these special rates was to speed the whole thing up. I am willing to bet that at least part of all the rate increases that all the rest of us have seen in the past few years are at least partly attributable to Amazon's special rates. Somebody has to pay for all this. There is no such thing as FREE shipping.

I have a feeling that this overhaul of the USPS will not end well for all us sellers.

Message 16 of 64
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

I can't tell you the last time I bought something off eBay that came in peanuts.

I bought 2 glasses and they were packed with old pallet wrap plastic scrunched up.

You haven't purchased from me!

I always use peanuts and/or bubble wrap.  Each piece is also wrapped in tissue.  I sometimes use foam for shock absorption.

14x14x6 or 14x14x8 don't get hit with DimWeight.

Message 17 of 64
latest reply

I am sure that the big companies have got this down to a science.  They likely know exactly how much cushioning is needed to keep damage down to a certain percentage of shipments and at the same time minimize shippings costs.  Maybe there is some reference there with recommended guidelines for every kind of item?

@jason_incognito wrote:

I have made the decision to stop buying packing peanuts. I will cut back on my bubble wrap purchases, and things will go into the smallest box possible.

I feel like I'm the last person to make this decision on eBay.

A stack of 11" dinner plates. Large flat rate box. No longer will I buy a larger box so that there is more than 1/2" of room. 

I list stuff and take into account the larger box and shipping goes high and it never sells, or the buyer balks at the price after the fact. I've had too many buyers argue that an 11" plate will fit into a 12" box! 

I bought 4 dinner plates from Amazon. They came in a box with 2, seriously, 2 air pillows.  I guess this is what pople expect? If it breaks, it's insured!

Message 18 of 64
latest reply

Today on Fox news, Neil Cavuto show, there was a discussion of the pending overhaul of USPS. During the discussion it was pointed out that not only are they losing billions of dollars, but that they lose $1.50 on every package that they deliver for Amazon.

Fake news.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 19 of 64
latest reply

I always try to use the smallest box possible, but what it weighs is what it weighs. The customers "feelings" towards my shipping price is of no concern to me. If they want it, they will buy it. If they don't want it, someone else will.

Sad but true, Most buyers don't have a clue what it takes to achieve safe transit for their purchaces. I've had some pretty crazy requests to shove big, thick items into envelopes........consumers don't have a clue!

Message 20 of 64
latest reply

"A stack of 11" dinner plates. Large flat rate box. No longer will I buy a larger box so that there is more than 1/2" of room. "

-----------

So you break up complete sets?

Meaning:

I'd skip the 11" dinner plates.

Only offer the 7-8" luncheon plates and the even smaller dessert plates

and the soup size bowls and the smaller fruit bowls....

See?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 21 of 64
latest reply

read my 2nd or 3rd to last feed back left for a lamp I shipped to Oregon from Rhode Island. Seller was super pleased, I used Thick Heavy bubble wrap AND Peanuts, Peanuts are not heavy and lighter than balls of newspaper and Bubble Wrap. My number one priority is making sure my customers get their item in One Piece!

Message 22 of 64
latest reply

My day job gives me access to free used boxes of almost any size, and packing materials as well. But I sell exclusively small unbreakable and paper items. The other stuff is just too much hassle to photograph, sell, ship, insure, pack, store, etc.

Message 23 of 64
latest reply

I read in the newspaper today the President wants USPS to raise rates for all "non-essential" items.  I guess that means all of us get to pay more?

Message 24 of 64
latest reply

Probably true.  You know every postal worker didn't get today off?  Mrs here had to go in and sort Amazon packages!

Message 25 of 64
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

I can't tell you the last time I bought something off eBay that came in peanuts.

I bought 2 glasses and they were packed with old pallet wrap plastic scrunched up.

This is part of the problem here. There are too many sellers who neglect to pack and ship with any sense of pride or professionalism. It brings down the image of the site. Maybe like with "Guaranteed Delivery", there should be an icon designating sellers who use bubblewrap!

I have a doll going out tomorrow. It's first wrapped in tissue paper, three layers of New bubblewrap and surrounded with packing peanuts in a sturdy brown box. I even take the time to fold over the edges of the tape I use on the bubblewrap making it easy to remove.  Some sellers do care about the items they ship arriving safely and resulting in a positive buyer impression.

Message 26 of 64
latest reply

Sad but true, Most buyers don't have a clue what it takes to achieve safe transit for their purchaces. I've had some pretty crazy requests to shove big, thick items into envelopes........consumers don't have a clue!

I've received items in poly mailers and plastic envelopes.  Rare, vintage, fragile porcelain figurines and dolls.  It goes both ways.

Message 27 of 64
latest reply

I get all my bubblewrap, both small & large bubbles, my packing peanuts, my air packs, my sheets of styrofoam from stores that would otherwise have to pay to get rid of them.  I never, ever pay for any of that stuff. 

As to your Dept 56 houses, use liquor/wine boxes.  Tape over all the matrings on them.  And do put some sort of packing between the house sleeve and the outer box.  I've had a fork lift put through a few of them. 

Hey, what are you guys doing competing with me anyways? scream  j/k

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 28 of 64
latest reply

You know, I'm a dinnerware seller. I've had buyers ask about shipping charges, gripes about how high they are, and lots of other questions. Never once have I had a buyer insist that I put 11" plates in a 12" box.

If I can accommodate a buyer, I do. If I can't, I can't. Sometimes it just depends on how bad I want the items gone.
Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 29 of 64
latest reply

First my service metrics and now this?
Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 30 of 64
latest reply