cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whose Logo Is This?

Alright, before I start writing this piece up, can anyone tell me what logo this is on top of this old pepper grinder? (I'm assuming it is old)...

Whats-My-Line.jpg

Also, what is the metal on it?  It somewhat reminds me of the Sterling silver on copper like a couple other pieces I have up elsewhere, but I can't find any markings to verify if that is the case, or if it is something else.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Whose Logo Is This?

@lintbrush*wrote:

Gorham silverplate

Might be bronze underneath

So we have the maker identified.  Still can't find any other useful information on this anywhere.  Both DDG and Google are returning a lot of garbage results, and very little found on eBay either.  Or are they hiding listings and just showing what they think they want me to shop for?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

The anchor in the shield suggests it's a Gorham piece.  They did make silverplate pepper mills. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

@nowthatsjustduckywrote:

@lintbrush*wrote:

Gorham silverplate

Might be bronze underneath

So we have the maker identified.  Still can't find any other useful information on this anywhere.  Both DDG and Google are returning a lot of garbage results, and very little found on eBay either.  Or are they hiding listings and just showing what they think they want me to shop for?

Yeah, I saw that too.  I can't get anything on the 635 number either...

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

I think I found a site that deciphers the Gorham markings.  So thus far, if I am interpreting this chart right, these are from the 1950s judging by the fact that the anchor is in a pointy bottomed square.  The clamshell icon is confusing though, since the only reference to that is a year code of 1896, which can't be right, since this is from the 50s.

Ah well, I have enough info to get cracking on this now.  Just need to decide on a price point.  Not going to do auction first to see what it could get bid up to, because that is rarely ever an accurate indicator.  Will just go with whatever the gut feeling says I should price at once I do my research.  🙂

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

You are misinterpreting the shields.

The shape of the shields is not for around the anchor, but for the date coding.... like a 5 in a box would be 1945

The pointed shield is for the 60s.... but there would be a number in it to tell you the year.  

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

Annadryl's photo is what sterling or silverplate looks like... dark monogram (almost black).  It's not lighter than the surrounding metal.... 

The OP either has a terrible camera or this is not sterling or silverplate.  

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

That was caused by just the overhead lighting (and in the last pic, the flashlight used to bring out the detail on the markings).  I know it is not sterling now, and is very well most likely silverplate, and definitely from Gorham.  I am simply not going to speculate one way or another when I list these what I think the base metal may be.  I don't know is a valid answer.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply