cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which countries to block?

Hi

Any bad experiences from certain countries? I am clueless for Africa, Asia and the middle east.

Thanks

Weatherloach

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I have shipped worldwide pretty much since I started here in '04. I have never put any restrictions on what countries I would ship to. I have had no more problems with any one country than I have had even with domestic U S shipping.

There are some countries right now that are on a USPS restricted shipping list and those countries are automatically listed in my listings by an eBay program without my input.

About 1/3rd of my sales come from international.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

It depends on what you are selling, but I don’t want to deal with returns from anywhere except the US.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I block everywhere except the lower 48 states. Shipping elsewhere is just a buyer's invite to open an INR because of eBay's insanely-optimistic estimated delivery dates.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@weatherloach 

Just FYI

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Important-updates-to-shipping-to-Ukraine-and-Russia/ba-p...

as mentioned above

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Italy (nothing ever makes it out of customs)

Russian Federation (even before all this)

India (their shipping restrictions are absurd)

Libya

Brazil

Before covid, we shipped regularly to Australia, New Zealand and Canada.  We about gave up on everything else.   Hong Kong and Singapore were also great.

Would not offer high-value items internationally, but that is just me.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Mine have been for a long time:

Russia - because it is a kleptocracy.

Saudi Arabia- because.... where to start!

India- because of a poor postal system

Israel- because I have yet to have a successful transaction there, although others have had no problems.

In Africa, I only ship to RSA, Egypt, and Morocco. And the last is only because I used to work for a Moroccan woman who I quite liked.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I don't block any country unless eBay says I can't send the listing to Europe or something for some reason (was usually lotion I think). Used to do simple export rate for Canada and worldwide. But after nearly getting an INR to Italy a little over a year ago, I set worldwide to GSP and kept Canada as simple export. Stuff going there isn't usually too bad.

May switch it back for some categories, but it does make things a little easier. Particularly if the package takes its sweet time getting somewhere. But the shipping increase with GSP possibly makes shipping overly expensive. Not that I got a lot of international outside of Canada before switching to GSP. But since switching, I get a lot less.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I sell around 20 items a week (We are growing monthly). I get about 2 international sales a month through the GSP. It has mostly been France, Canada, Australia, UK buyers. I had 2 (I understand the rules but I blocked both, " Changed my mind", " Ordered the wrong one") returns from Canada only.

I buy a lot on Ebay, I mess up once in a while and I kept everything. I cant do that to a seller.

France and Australia are very kind, funny at times and polite, I recommend them so far.  I had a potential buyer from south-America but item ended up not being compatible. I don't remember any other countries buying from me.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

It depends a lot on what I am selling. Countries I always block include China, Russia and the rest of the FSU. I will neither buy or sell to those countries for a number of reasons including the number of scammers, counterfeit products, questionable customs processing (theft) and other questionable business practices. If buyers attempt to go through freight forwarders I cancel the transaction based on a problem with the buyers address. 

For the rest of the world it's a case by case basis but I shy away from shipping fragile items anywhere overseas due to the potential for damage and the complexities of filing insurance claims. Some countries have import/custom regulations on some items so those have to be excluded when they come up. I no longer sell electronic devices but I would not ship those internationally due to the difference in the power grids and the reliability and dependability of those grids. Those items also seem to be a magnet for international as well as domestic scammers so I avoid that product area. 

Everything I sell overseas goes through the eBay GSP. It lengthens the shipping time by a couple of days and increases the shipping cost to the buyer because of the two shipping legs but I like the benefits of using the program and the protection it provides. 

No single answer here but hopefully some food for thought. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I have shipped to Russia once years ago.  It was a car sun shield so no biggie if I lost it.  

Regularly to Canada and Australia, Japan pretty often, Israel about 3 times, China on occasion, Mexico once, Brazil years ago.   ETC>>>>>>>

Depends on what you are shipping and your tolerance for losing product/money.  IMHO shipping abroad is no more of a risk then shipping to the USA.  If a buyer is a dud they can be located anywhere.  

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Majority of my "bad experiences" come from the US.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Good advice I received when I started was to get at least 50 domestic sales under your belt before you sell globally.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

It's because eBay is an international marketplace that I sell here.  Some countries can be more problematic than others, at times, but which ones they are varies through the years and as geopolitical events transpire.

I deal with people, as individuals, and people are people, most of them good and decent no matter the birthplace fate assigned them.

-

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Agree, the people are usually great.  However, in some countries, the postal system/customs are not or are corrupt.

@weatherloach 

The advice UP thread to get a number of US transactions successful and in the rear-view mirror is excellent. 

And the GSP heavily restricts or limits certain areas/countries/items.  If they're not willing to risk much to certain regions, why should you?? 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 15 of 18
latest reply