cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the sales????

What has happened to sales on EBay? I’m not a large scale seller but always sold one or more items a day. For months now I’m LUCKY if I sell one item a month. I’ve stopped most of my relisting of unsold items and new listings because it’s a waste of time. Anyone else that had this problem and was able to turn it around? Advice please!! I just want to get rid of all my inventory and be done with eBay. Are people selling on a different site and if so, where?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Where are the sales????

I'm glad someone is remembering those people. I don't get the local news - which is mostly just that - local. But when watching the various TV news outlets - you seldom see anything about the recovery in tthose areas.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Personally I think that the novelty is wearing off on online sales.  I have opted for flea market selling like I was before ebay existed and it was JAMMED last Sunday.  I sold out my huge truckload.  

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Whether sales are up or down,has a lot to do with what you are selling.List more usually means sell more.Diversify is important.My sales are up 59.9% over Oct 2017 ,but down 4% from Sept 2018.My best month this year was June which is usually a slow time.If you don' t keep unsolds relisted,they will stay unsold.
Message 18 of 30
latest reply

tunica, I'm one of the lucky ones that is in an area with a ginormous daily paper with reporting done by those on staff, not always plucked from wire services.  These types of newspapers survive only because big money is supporting them.

I'm also one of the dwindling few that read a paper newspaper that is tossed on my driveway (usually) every morning.  It's not inexpensive but I have to be able to turn those pages while sipping from that cup of coffee.  But, I'm old ...

mcdougle's stats on % of Chinese items sold here are eye-opening.  Obviously, that's what buyers want and ebay knows that.

My sales have been okay; I've got a lot of holiday items listed and/or some hard to find things.   Right now "okay" is my own definition because I am done here sometime in December.   I ran a few auctions last week and, as is usually the case with my snake-bit auction luck, they were disasters.  You'd think I'd learn ...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 19 of 30
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

tunica, I'm one of the lucky ones that is in an area with a ginormous daily paper with reporting done by those on staff, not always plucked from wire services.  These types of newspapers survive only because big money is supporting them.

I'm also one of the dwindling few that read a paper newspaper that is tossed on my driveway (usually) every morning.  It's not inexpensive but I have to be able to turn those pages while sipping from that cup of coffee.  But, I'm old ...

mcdougle's stats on % of Chinese items sold here are eye-opening.  Obviously, that's what buyers want and ebay knows that.

My sales have been okay; I've got a lot of holiday items listed and/or some hard to find things.   Right now "okay" is my own definition because I am done here sometime in December.   I ran a few auctions last week and, as is usually the case with my snake-bit auction luck, they were disasters.  You'd think I'd learn ...

I've seen on many of the boards I've been on - Amazon, Etsy ect... that many sellers are complaining about lower sales due to the influx of Chinese sellers - but many people today want cheap - not quality - and I have to say I buy a lot at the $1 store - not so much gadgets - as they break pretty quickly - but we've become a throw away society.

A couple of months - I had success with auctions - but not lately so the 500 free BIN is helpful.

And I enjoy reading the Sunday paper with a cup of coffee. Unfortunately - it's a one paper town now that the other ones died - and it's just not worth the money to only be told one side of an issue - so no weekly subscription for me.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

I sell used books and my sales crashed hard in early September.   Still dismal.  In past years September was one of my strongest months.  Fall was always good because people go to scholarly pursuits that time of year and my concentration is non-fiction.   Netting half the money I've been used to over the last 7 years.  I've added inventory, dropped prices and it actually got worse after that.   I have many books in great condition with values over $30.   I'm very competitively priced against Ebay and Amazon.   Called Ebay to ask why and they said they would "refresh" my store.  Whatever that means.  What it does is cripple me in acquiring new stock.  I'll have to go into my credit card to go buy more stuff.   The only thing I can figure is that the market for used books is finished and the party is over.  Goodbye, Ebay money.  

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Ignore my previous post.  I was meaning to post on my other store account.  This account is used hard merchandise mainly.  And the sales here suck as well.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

I sell used books and my sales have crashed for 2 months.  I've added inventory, dropped prices, nothing is working.  Ebay said they would "refresh" my store.  I'm doing about 50% of my usual sales volume since early September after having good sales all Summer.  The only thing I can figure is that the market for used books has dried up.  Sad.  I've had slumps before but they've never been for two months in a row.  I guess I'll just have to get used to not having that extra $500 net a month.  And tighten the belt.  I spend money on Ebay when sales are good.  That's going to have to end.  Christmas money is going to be tight.  Very sad.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

**bleep** it did it again.  and there's no way to delete posts here.  I give up.  Nothing goes right these days.  My head is in a hole.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

My sales have sucked since early September after a strong Summer.  And I actually have more inventory.  I guess I'll just have to deal with the fact that the market for used books is finished.  And so is my 18-year Ebay career.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Don't give up hope yet!! Hopefully after these midterms - people will get more of a sense on what's going on. It doesn't help when you have one side trying to convince people that the market is going to crash - then we see a dip and people worry.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

It all depends on what you sell and if there is a market for it. If people don't want to buy your items, there is nothing ebay or anybody can do about that.

I have an anchor store with over 900 sold items this month. My sales are up 74.5% from a month ago and 75.8% from a year ago. We all have ups and downs on ebay, myself included. This past May, June, and July were one of my worst, followed by August, September, and October being my best ever. There are ways to increase sales to your store, but you'll need to discover that on your own. Anybody that is successful with selling on ebay won't share that info.
Message 27 of 30
latest reply

I am down 60% YTD. eBay is in a death spiral, I have never seen it this bad. January I am leaving and listing on other venues. Good luck trying to make anymoney on eBay!

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

dads-collectables
Thrill-Seeker

Month to month, we are down over 60% compared to the past 5 years. Am Selling the same style antiques and collectables.  It is most likely eBay’s new Algorithms. Only increases I can see are eBay expenses per sale. Everything dropped in April... never came back. ????????  Does Amazon support small unique item dealers?

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

@fishzlot wrote:

My sales have sucked since early September after a strong Summer.  And I actually have more inventory.  I guess I'll just have to deal with the fact that the market for used books is finished.  And so is my 18-year Ebay career.

Maybe it isn't over.  Sales are cyclical, you said you had a strong summer.   Don't give up.  

Message 30 of 30
latest reply