cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When working longer, harder, and smarter bears you no fruit! Staying motivated as a Seller?

When working longer, harder, and smarter bears you no fruit!  You got to then consider am I experiencing: interference.

Is my store open?

Are my lights on? 

Am I being punished?

What in the world is happening when your sales just completely disappear.    Is it time to get even more creative and find a different game plan.

I have been selling an eclectic mix of goods for nearly 8 years and I feel like I am still  bumping my head against a glass ceiling, now even worse, a concert slab.  The glass ceiling at least had me looking upwards.  

The only other time in my life when I felt no matter what I did, no matter how much time and effort I put in, it still meant and yielded nothing, is when I worked under a narrisstics.     

I use to be so exciting with the though that "I" could control my income and quality of life as a Seller.  Things are very different, I have slowly come to the realization there are actually systems in place for whatever reasons that have stunted my progress.  

How are you staying motivated as a Seller?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

When working longer, harder, and smarter bears you no fruit! Staying motivated as a Seller?

I had that happen when the search functions changed on Ebay and then Google for many months until I did the Promoted Listings % with every listing.  That stopped the drought almost instantly and has been steady since then.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Can't see what you're selling so no insights here.  During the slow times I just put one foot in front of the other and take the long view.  It goes without saying that I keep an eye out on what I'm selling, but that's a given - for the most part I'm in super-saturated category.  I will say this - things are always changing here insofar as markets.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

While I don't know exactly what you sell, what I can say is that at my B&M job (retail department store), certain things are selling very well right now and other things are not really selling at all.  Jewelry, for instance, is not selling, aside from the inexpensive stuff that people would wear every day. Kitchen appliances and goods are selling like crazy (most likely because of a combination of people cooking at home rather than going out to eat and people looking for ways to entertain themselves at home), toys are selling well (gotta keep the kids busy), furniture (both indoor and outdoor) is selling EXTREMELY well as people are setting up office spaces to work from home/wanting to make their spaces more comfortable now that they're spending a lot more time in them... home decor that serves an actual purpose (storage items, lamps, etc.) is selling well, but expensive, unnecessary home decor (like artwork) isn't really selling either.

Peoples' buying habits have changed, like it or not, so as sellers we need to adapt to that.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Reality may be unpleasant & uninspiring but preferable to illusion.

Continue to develop critical thinking skills & distance yourself from narcissists whenever possible.

Accept what you don't have the ability to change.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Once you begin thinking "something is stopping" me that I can't control.......in my opinion....you are lost.....  IF there is that entity, then you may as well quit.

But I don't believe that.....so my thought when things get slow is that I must truck on....work as hard as I have in the past, knowing that nothing stays the same and the tide will turn (along with a few other platitudes)....  and frankly, over the years, those things are true.....sales are "hot", slow, cold, etc.....so during the cold times I try to stack up listings for the "hot" times.  Halloween, Christmas buying will be here before you know it and I will be griping at myself for not listing more. 

To jump start myself when I can't seem to get back in the groove, I set a timer for 15 minutes with the understanding I can stop after listing for 15 minutes.  Needless to say, after 15 minutes I'm back in the groove, planning the next listing as I'm writing up the present one. 

All that said, without seeing your items, no one can tell if there is something generally that you are doing that may be adversely affecting your sales.........

just my thoughts

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

It depends what you're selling, and the reasons behind the economy itself.

Some sellers do better during slumps, others do well when times are good, just one example.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

No

No

No

You have to have things people really want bad and you have to have some of the lowest prices compared to your competition. It is just about the only way to be consistent and not blame Ebay.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Do you work totally alone? I often envy when i see a "couple" doing their ebay shopping ( you can always tell a seller!) and i just ENVY the idea of an entire additional ADULT who can lift a mannequin, hangl clothes, etc. or do ANYTHING - besides me doing it all. If you don't have any kind of helper - especially after some time (couple years) etc. - i think it can get both discouraging AND overwhelming. It would be helpful to know what kind of store you have - to maybe even give you suggestions. But sometimes, trying something new. I just listed a chandelier, and it sold. and i DON'T sell chandeliers! Also - maybe take a short break. a few days - just SLEEP. refresh. you might be burnt out....
Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@getitright1234 

I feel better about my sales when I read some of the threads on these boards. Do that one day!

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@getitright1234 wrote:

When working longer, harder, and smarter bears you no fruit!  You got to then consider am I experiencing: interference.

Is my store open?

Are my lights on? 

Am I being punished?

I stay motivated by first verifying that my store is open, the lights are on, and my items are being found. 

After that is confirmed - and it always is - I can focus on actual problems like my inventory choices, my pricing, and my listings. 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

I also come on this forum to get motivated. It's nice to read what other sellers are going through to pick up ideas and to vent a bit....
Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Even if you are getting sales ebay has made it impossible to earn a profit because the associated fees are so incredibly enormous. The fees destroy my motivation more than the slow sales.

As an example, I pay $60 a month for my store, $120 to $150 in final value fees, and another $30 to $50 a month in listing fees.

That means on average my first $250 a month in sales is a total loss in terms of fees. Then I have to do another $150 in sales on top of that in order to break even given the products I sold, bringing that total to $400.

That means the first $400 in sales I get every month on just $1,300 a month of average sales is all a total loss!

How is anyone supposed to be motivated to sell here when the only one making money is ebay?

The fees are too high, and ebay has literally created a system that only benefits themselves, and regardless of how many sales you make, ebay is the only one who earns anything.

I'm working on alternatives to running my e-commerce business without ebay, as regardless of how much you sell here, you can never earn a profit because the associated fees will always take your profits away.

ebay is losing too because of those fees. My friend who did hundreds of thousands of transactions here totaling millions of dollars in sales closed his business here last year citing the ridiculous fees as being the sole reason for shutting down.

My friend did over a quarter million dollars in sales last year alone, he said he earned nothing, ebay's fees ate up all the profits.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

I don't understand your thoughts about fees.........  They are $400 versus 1300 sales......  How is 900 not a good profit?    30% sounds high.........but I'll bet you are figuring shipping costs in there.....which is not a fee...... 

But even 30% costs would sound good to most B&M stores......

I should say, I've been here since 2004 and never failed to make a profit........

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

And what does that tell you about ebay you are making the posters point.
Message 15 of 30
latest reply