cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will we be required to offer free merchandise along with free shipping, and free packaging?

I’m really new at this but I see that some buyers buy my more expensive stuff and then in a round-a-bout way demand a full refund and keep the merch. Not wanting to receive a flogging with a neg,  and/or a nuke on my star ratings , either of which which causes me to go to eBay “prison” for months, can I just simply off everything for free without getting into trouble. Should I throw in some free money too? 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: When will we be required to offer free merchandise along with free shipping, and free packaging

@coolections wrote:

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Most INR or charge not recognized chargebacks are easy for the seller to prevail. NAD not so much. That is the reason I said all bets are off it depends on the type of chargeback and the details. 

Another false statement. The last one I had was a not as described. The shirt had a hole I had not noticed. Ebay made the buyer return the item first before getting a refund. The buyer even had to pay for the label.

No it isn't a false statement.  You and @dbfolks166mt are talking about two different things.  

You are talking about a dispute filed in Ebay.  The other poster is talking about a Chargeback and Ebay has NO AUTHORITY to require a return of the item on a Chargeback.  The CCC might have the buyer do it, but Ebay has nothing to say about it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Re: When will we be required to offer free merchandise along with free shipping, and free packaging

Still waiting to hear how a buyer can demand a refund in a roundabout way.  To the best of my knowledge, there is just one way to request (not demand) a refund on eBay is to open the appropriate case.  If there is another way, it has to be a closely guarded secret.  

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

You are talking about a dispute filed in Ebay.  The other poster is talking about a Chargeback and Ebay has NO AUTHORITY to require a return of the item on a Chargeback.  The CCC might have the buyer do it, but Ebay has nothing to say about it.

Well I 'm not sure I mentioned it but the buyer DID do a chargeback. Ebay made them return the item so it is possible to get your item back as long as you are wiling to give a refund. So you mentioned something that is not necessarily true.

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Well I 'm not sure I mentioned it but the buyer DID do a chargeback. Ebay made them return the item so it is possible to get your item back as long as you are wiling to give a refund. So you mentioned something that is not necessarily true.

You may think it happened that way, but Ebay has NO power in a Chargeback process to force a buyer to return an item.  NONE.

Now the CCC may have told them to return it.  I personally filed a Chargeback using Discover Card a few years back.  They were great in helping me to get the seller to take care of business.  But Discover Card was upfront with me.  If it came to me getting a refund for the item, I would have to return it.  I couldn't have the money and the product too.

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

That's a you problem. You're the one deciding to just refund the buy without following thru with a return not eBay. You're the one that doesn't accept returns. Your feedback has nothing to do with sales or traffic. I've gotten 3 negatives in 1 day before that lasted for a week and made no changes to nothing. Same with returns.

If you can't make it happen selling what you're selling then maybe it's time to switch markets or find a better way to do what your doing so this doesn't happen.

Also, never do free shipping, your losing money if you do.

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

That's a you problem. You're the one deciding to just refund the buy without following thru with a return not eBay. You're the one that doesn't accept returns. Your feedback has nothing to do with sales or traffic. I've gotten 3 negatives in 1 day before that lasted for a week and made no changes to nothing. Same with returns.

If you can't make it happen selling what you're selling then maybe it's time to switch markets or find a better way to do what your doing so this doesn't happen.

Also, never do free shipping, your losing money if you do.

Not sure who your response was directed at but about 75% of the items listed on eBay offer free shipping. Most of those sellers, at least the business savvy ones, have baked the cost of the shipping and the fees into the item price. There is no difference between a $100 item with $10 in shipping and a $110 item with free shipping. 

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

So if we don't accept returns and a buyer is not satisfied with the item it means that they get their money back and get to keep the item? I'm confused. If it is like that ebay should explain it very clearly.

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

It isn't "like that" at all.  If a buyer opens an item not as described case with eBay, the seller, if he wants his item returned, needs to send that buyer a prepaid return label and to refund in full when the returned item is received back.  

If the buyer does not open a case? No refund.

If the buyer does open a case and you send the return label, but he does not return it? No refund.

If the buyer opens a case and the seller fails to respond in any way, the case will close in 4 days, eBay will refund the buyer from the seller's funds and will allow the buyer to keep the item. 

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

@barcelona757 wrote:

So if we don't accept returns and a buyer is not satisfied with the item it means that they get their money back and get to keep the item? I'm confused. If it is like that ebay should explain it very clearly.

@barcelona757 

It is NOT that simple.  If a seller processes a Request for Return with the buyer, it typically ends with the seller having the product back and the buyer being refunded.  But complications can arise if the seller tries to deny the claim.  Specific details would be needed to assess what Ebay may or may not do.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply