cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do I have to ship to meet 1 day handling time?

I'll be going away tonight and be gone all day tomorrow. My listings are at 1 day handling time with guaranteed delivery. Say for example, I sell something at Midnight EDT tonight, would I be required to ship on Friday to avoid being dinged? My sales have been dead in the water this month so I don't know if I want to change my shipping times for just a day. With the way my sales have been, chances are I may not even sell anything. And tomorrow I will be losing my TRS+ because I'm not offering free retunrs. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You have to ship the next business day.

In your example, midnight EDT today (Thursday) would be 21.00 (9pm) PDT. You would have to ship and have at least an acceptance scan by Friday midnight PT to meet the one day handling time.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@brianc3784 wrote:

I'll be going away tonight and be gone all day tomorrow. ...  tomorrow I will be losing my TRS+ because I'm not offering free retunrs. 

Since you're losing TR-Plus anyway, why not switch to 2-day handling and remove a source of stress from your life?

With 1-day handling, you must ship on Friday for any payment that comes in by midnight Pacific time on Thursday, which is 3 AM Friday Eastern.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Yes you would have to ship by Friday if it is Midnight here on the East coast
It's before 1159PM Pacific

So you chance having no sales or just bulk edit the handling time to 2 days which gives you until Monday to ship
Change it back over the weekend.
I'm not going to have my TRS+ discount after today because I refuse to do free returns so I will be bulk editing to 2 days myself this weekend.

Edit
I'm way to slow anymore, taking a seat in slow typing section !!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

In your example, midnight EDT today (Thursday) would be 21.00 (9pm) PDT. You would have to ship and have at least an acceptance scan by Friday midnight PT to meet the one day handling time.

That would actually be same business day.  I interpret one business day as being the next business day after purchase.  A business day is from 9AM to 5PM in your time zone.  Any purchase after 5PM applies to the next day.  To me, although not always to Ebay, any purchase after 5PM is no different than a purchase at 4:59PM the following day.  And Saturdays are not a business day to me.

That being said, I try to minimize my trips to the local post office so most sales between 5PM and about 10AM the following day get their packages to the post office at the same time as the rest of any previous day's sales. But the bottom line is that if someone purchases a widget at 6PM on Thursday, I feel no obligation to ship before the following Monday as that would be the "next business day" after the day of the sale. 

Anyways, this is the way I work and I care not a whit about how Ebay or others think.  My customers have never had any complaints.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@brianc3784 wrote:

I'll be going away tonight and be gone all day tomorrow. My listings are at 1 day handling time with guaranteed delivery. Say for example, I sell something at Midnight EDT tonight, would I be required to ship on Friday to avoid being dinged?

Yes ... Ebay operates on Pacific Time, so any sales between Midnight and 3:00AM EDT are considered "yesterday" sales and you MUST ship that day. It's a quirk in their braindead system, that the 3-hour PDT window is NOT the same as the next day EDT.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

That would actually be same business day.  I interpret one business day as being the next business day after purchase.  A business day is from 9AM to 5PM in your time zone.  Any purchase after 5PM applies to the next day.  To me, although not always to Ebay, any purchase after 5PM is no different than a purchase at 4:59PM the following day.  And Saturdays are not a business day to me.

Ebay's business day runs midnight to midnight.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Since you're losing TR-Plus anyway, why not switch to 2-day handling and remove a source of stress from your life?

I just opted in to GD, hoping it will help give me a boost since I'll no longer have that TR+ icon. Although, many here say that little icon means nothing, but anything to help try to boost me in ranking, free returns is where I draw the line. I guess, I'll just change my handling times and change it back over the weekend. But really, all I would need to do is change it for just a few hours since anything that sells tomorrow, wouldn't have to be shipped until Monday. I wish there was a way to just schedule a time for that to be changed then it would revert after your set time passes.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply