cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a buyer says...

When a buyer threatens bad review because you wont send another package? They say they did not recieve it and the tracking says delievered?  We pulled all of our items on ebay and decided not to sell here anymore because of silly problems like these.

One guy says " I did not read the description and though all those items came in it "

Disgusting.  Do you guys just increase your price to make up for these problems?

each time we took the loss to satisfy the customer. eBay still gets their full fees and the item gets their item ( Sometimes twice).

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

When a buyer says...

@shirtmilewrote:

It not about customers being honest or dishonest. It's more like the way it happens.

For example the most recent one I had. Said "I need this item ASAP KK. or I can just file a complaint with eBay it's up to you.hurry up let me no kk."  The item was a smallin value $10 or so. I just sent out another item to spare myself the negative feedback. So in this case it doesn't really matter if they were being honest or dishonest. They still got their way.

I've been ordering stuff online for the past 10 years or so and maybe one or two packages of actually been lost and that both times it was my job to discover where the package was not the sellers. I don't see how they get away with threatening like that .

About the post with multiple items, it was a single item with a front and back view completely labeled in red. It was obvious to a blind person. In that case I sent out another item aswell to spare the negative feedback.

If you haven't sold on eBay and dealt with these hassles then you are not in a position to defend the customer or even make a suggestion. As a seller I take every precaution my item is well packaged to withstand a rough beating. Label is clear and adhered well onto package. If the item makes it to the person and is "out for delivery" I have did my job even if it never makes it. So why may I still get negative feedback for a usps mistake?

It's just much easier to mark up everything and sell things of lower value on eBay or get a third party insurance of some sort.

OP, you might not like hearing this but the only reason the buyer got his way was because you let him get away with scamming you.

I have gotten to the point that I tell buyers with problems to go ahead and file a case with ebay.  I say that it's so i can send them a return ship label, but it is really calling their bluff.  I look at buyer-uh-scammers with problems as playing poker with them.  They threaten, I go all in and call their bluffs with a message that says that I will get them on authorities radar. 

Scammers target newer sellers, they are easy targets because they don't know policies, what they can and can not do and are really proud of their feedback.  They make mistakes that scammers count on.

You could remove the guaranteed in 24 hours line because it implies that you are shipping overnight.  Actually you can remove your written out terms of sale because they are already on the listing under shipping AND you will find that they are worthless for the most part.

(*Bleep*)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 46 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

When a buyer says...

When a buyer threatens bad review because you wont send another package? They say they did not recieve it and the tracking says delievered?  We pulled all of our items on ebay and decided not to sell here anymore because of silly problems like these. shirtmile - op - unquote ----------------------

Which is called feedback extortion , scammers love it  but its a migraine for sellers . If the tracking  number proves delivery then you should be in the clear . If the buyer still negs you then call e bay and ask for it to be removed.  Tulips 

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

I use the one seller protection that ebay consistantly offers....closing any INR case when tracking shows delivered.  I offer to get their address on the PO's radar by filing an investigation in my offers to help them - they almost always 'find' it.

Everything else, I offer to get the buyer and their problem and address on the PO's, and occasionally the police, radar depending on their style of demands.  Most go away.  ebay will do nothing about it in the long run.  But I report the buyers that have problems to ebay anyway in the hopes that once they rack up enough, something might be done.

If threats of negative feedback are made - I report the buyer to ebay and if they leave it, call a US CS and have them remove it.

But I have moved all my valuable and genre merchandise off ebay and only list items that I can afford to throw away, because it is way too much risk to do anything else.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

With all due respect, I've had a package show delivered this month that wasn't and a buyer of mine had to file a USPS Search request before her package showed up a few days later.

Perhaps if you tried to help the buyer figure out where the package WAS it would turn out better. Many times it was delivered to the wrong house and gets delivered a day or so later or is still on the truck. That's why so many times it just "shows up". You cannot ASSume a buyer is deceptive from that timing.

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

@the*dog*ate*my*tableclothwrote:

With all due respect, I've had a package show delivered this month that wasn't and a buyer of mine had to file a USPS Search request before her package showed up a few days later.

Perhaps if you tried to help the buyer figure out where the package WAS it would turn out better. Many times it was delivered to the wrong house and gets delivered a day or so later or is still on the truck. That's why so many times it just "shows up". You cannot ASSume a buyer is deceptive from that timing.

If the package has been delivered to the wrong address - that is not the sellers problem....it is the buyer's.  And the buyer should be the one doing most of the work finding out why this is happening to them and their address and doing somethig to solve the problem.

If they have a slipshod delivery person - and this happens often to their address - they should be the one reporting their lax habits to the PO.  If they have items stolen off their porch, then they should supply a secure location to deliver to.  If it happens often or can't be fixed, then they should get a PO box.

This is not something that the seller has to be responsible for - and yet ebay puts it all on the shoulders of sellers who do not know better because a happy scammer is a buying scammer.

(*Bleep*)
Message 5 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

One guy says " I did not read the description and though all those items came in it " Disgusting.  Do you guys just increase your price to make up for these problems?

What were "all those items" that your buyer was referring to?

It sounds like your picture included items that were not included with your listing, and you later used to description to explain which items in the picture were not included.

If that was the case, I wouldn't raise my prices or blame my buyer - I would fix the contradiction between the picture and the description, because that is the underlying problem.

They say they did not recieve it and the tracking says delievered? 

If the trakcing met eBay's requirements for seller protection, I would have urged them to file an Item Not Received case - because that would put me in the driver's seat and allow me to decide whether to refund, replace, or win the case. 

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

As a seller, I consider helping my buyers have a good experience is part of my job. YMMV

Also SMH, no wonder why buyers are leaving. God forbid anyone should help a buyer when they're not required to.

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

The USPS employee is not supposed to scan a packaged delivered until he is dropping it off in that person's mailbox. If this isn't what is going on then that postal employee isn't doing his job. I wish that at that point the USPS employee should be responsible. They should make whoever last scanned the package responsible until the next scan. This could reduce the number of INR cases all of us sellers receive. I don't understand how a tracked package ever disappears in the mail. Yet I just went off topic. Once the scan is delivered that is where the customer needs to find out what happened and why the postal workers didn't correctly do their job or get the police involved if someone is stealing their mail. 

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

As a seller, I consider helping my buyers have a good experience is part of my job. YMMV

Also SMH, no wonder why buyers are leaving. God forbid anyone should help a buyer when they're not required to.

Oh, I offer to help - in fact I offer so much help that they know that they will get on radar if they push the situation.  Out of the last 10 or so buyers who have informed me that they don't have their package - ALL of them have informed me that they found it or not gotten back to me with added information or continued their complaint, when I tell them that I will talk with my Postmaster to start an investigation and the PO will flag their address.   No one has said thanks, please do that.

(*Bleep*)
Message 9 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

I'm glad to hear that rose and I'm not surprised. Your posts give a different perception though. I think helping the buyer track down their item is good customer service.

I agree USPS issues are the fault of the USPS however that doesn't help the buyer. Finger pointing is not helpful. Sellers should at least pretend to care and point the buyer in the right direction.

Sellers cannot complain on one hand that buyers are leaving yet on the other hand claim issues are buyer problems and the buyers should shut up and go away.

Message 10 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

I agree with both of you here.

It’s not the sellers problem but I too had 2 packages delivered to a neighbor not eBay packages but still. Luckily he brought them to me. Then 2 weeks later I got his eBay package. I walked it over to him ASAP.
So while the buyer may be telling the truth, it’s their loss. I do tend to believe a lot of these claims cause it’s hapoened to me.
Once in Va, I had a neighbor same house number different street (same as here). We regularly got each other’s packages. Once I got a package that she claimed was worth over $500 from a big retailer. I had the flu, put it aside & remembered it a few days later. I sent DH over with it & when he got there she was on the phone with the retailer trying to find out where her package was. I felt bad about that but I was legit sick.

It is good customer service to try & help the buyer. Like I said, I like to believe people are honest. I once refunded 1 buyer that didn’t get their item. They didn’t ask for a refund but it was like $12 and I believed they didn’t get it. They simply asked if I could check on the package, it had been a couple weeks by then. I apologized & refunded. It all depends on the customer and the situation but I’ve had that once not many times.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 11 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

I have to agree with that too. So many are quick to assume scam. Don’t you believe most people are honest? I have to believe it.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 12 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

Helping buyer can turn out very well.

My buyer stated he did not receive package.

Package showed delivered to PO Box 4-5 days earlier.

He said he checked with counter and that went nowhere.

I actually described the package in detail, told him it would not fit in a smaller PO Box and that they likely have it in the pick-up area.

They had it in the pick up area.

Buyer thanked me profusely.

But to the OP, loss is something every business experiences.  You have to allow for it in your business plan.  That being said, you don't have to be extorted.  That's not allowed.  Be very clear with your descriptions.  If one buyer misunderstands it, it's likely others will too.

I took a peek at your STAFF t-shirt that shows in 3 colors.  It was confusing.  You had the pick a color dropdown but your listing stated 3 Large 1 Medium 1 XL Red.  I don't know what that means.  Am I getting 5 shirts?  You have the singular Shirt in your title & condition description, but Shirts (plural) in the listing body.  Are there multiple colors available?  Your stock photo suggests that.

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

"The market" sets the prices, not the seller.  Unless you have a monopoly, you can't just go raising prices and think the stuff will sell, when the next guy offers it, or something similar, for less.

Instead, you fight this "Liar Buyer Fraud" that you are describing.  In the most famous case I know of, a scammer named David D'Aries (you can google it) went to federal prison for years of bogus INR claims.  It's a federal crime.

It's also important to write listings professionally, so as not to hint that you're scared and vulnerable to extortion.  Also write clearly and use photographs and more.

If you want to sell stuff here, you need to learn how to fight these scams.  THEY ARE RARE but they're there.

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

When a buyer says...

I always remember the buyer who called me on the phone way back when we could still actually talk to each other, she was screaming and calling me everything in the book ... she didn't get her package, I was a cheat, I was a scam. I calmed her down, found the paper record for her purchase, told her the delivery confirmation said it was delivered and then she tells me "oh sorry, it must be in these 50 PACKAGES I haven't opened yet".  I often wonder if their parents didn't raise them right because they just don't want to do any of the work to solve their own problems.  All this girl had to do was open all the packages!

Message 15 of 59
latest reply