cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats up with eBay shipping?

Why do I constantly feel like eBay is charging too much for shipping?  Example today is a small, light $3.99 item.  eBay charged $12.55 for shipping.  I go to get the shipping label and it's only $7.15.  Are they thinking $5 for packing it up and taking it to the post office?  I feel like I should be refunding everyone $$ every time the shipping is so much lower than what was charged.  Or do I just go with it because the buyer agreed and didn't even message to ask if I could get lower shipping?  BTW it could ship for $4.15 if I send it with a slower service.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

I compare priced from multiple locations and for USPS eBay is on point. (Outside of Cubic pricing since eBay hasn't incorporated that yet )

I do not buy my UPS on eBay. I don't like the whole estimate thing. I buy my other labels on pirateship.

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

You have a bigger problem here @emwtackshop . Full disclosure: I didn't see this posted yet, but I only skimmed through responses.

That fly spray is pyrethrum-based and that substance is considered a hazardous material, therefore it has to ship surface transportation only. You can't ship it Priority. It requires special packaging (triple bagged, etc) and special markings on the outer box.

All the info you need can be found in USPS pub 52:

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_020.htm

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

@emwtackshop wrote:

But what if the buyer messages and asks about cheaper shipping after they pay?  Can you change the shipping and refund the difference?  Or do you need to cancel the whole thing and start over?

Sure you can switch to a cheaper option, but first you'd have to point out to the buyer that the cheaper option is slower (but not much).  Shipping estimates for Ground Advantage are 2 - 5 days to most locations (exceptions like Alaska, Hawaii, territories).  

When you issue a partial refund, you don't have to refund the entire difference, since you're entitled to a handling fee to cover expenses like packaging materials and eBay fees.

IMHO it would be prudent to switch from Priority to Ground Advantage for all of your items that ship at 1 pound or less.  For weights above 1 pound, the price difference often is small; due to eBay's extra discount, sometimes Priority is cheaper.

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

greeeeeaaaat

Message 34 of 34
latest reply