cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do?

I sold an item to a buyer with zero feedback.

After they had paid they asked for a refund. I don't have a problem with buyers remorse so was about to cancel the sale....

"However" the payment had not cleared through paypal. ...  I was not sure if I would be giving free money, by giving a refund and then waiting for the payment to clear, or would it cancel their payment and not take any of my money to pay them?? .....

I have written nicely that I am happy to cancel the sale when the payment is cleared...

Should I have cancelled the sale or did I do the right thing??  .... It was about $15 so not a lot ... But I object to being cheated or having money stolen !!!!

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

What should I do?

Don't worry about it.  PayPal will protect you if this were to happen.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

What should I do?

I think if you go to Paypal (Not Ebay) and click on the transaction, you can cancel a payment that is pending. Not for sure, but I think you can.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

What should I do?

"However" the payment had not cleared through paypal"

Is this an e-check? I have e-checks turned off because they can bounce. Instant

payment saves you all that wondering and potential hassle.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

What should I do?

@toooldtorock wrote:

"However" the payment had not cleared through paypal"

Is this an e-check? I have e-checks turned off because they can bounce. Instant

payment saves you all that wondering and potential hassle.

You cannot turnoff echecks when selling on eBay. You can turn it off in PayPal but it won't affect the fact you have to accept them for eBay transaction still.  The only way to not accept then on eBay is to list buy it now with immediate payment required 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

What should I do?

" The only way to not accept then on eBay is to list buy it now with immediate payment required "

Very true but turning them off on your PayPal account gets rid of the whole headache. So it

would be wise for Sunny to do both, set ebay listings for instant payment and turn off e-check

acceptance in Paypal.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

What should I do?

Cancel the sale through the RESOLUTION CENTER.

It should tell you what to do about refunding.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

What should I do?

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful suggestions..

Thankfully I did not pay them as the echeck was refused by their bank !!
I don't mind accepting echecks per se - Not everyone is in fortunate positions to have credit cards and the like..

I can't really have pay it now as lots of people buy multiple items and then wait for me to send a revised invoice with combined shipping...

Thanks again..

Amy
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

What should I do?

You wont lose money. eBay and PayPal are very good at keeping things sorted out. You will only "Lose" the order income that could have been is all. In fact, you will even be credited your fees as well, so no worries 🙂 

Best of Luck (Unless competing with me of course hahahaha)

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

What should I do?

@sunnyamy wrote:

I sold an item to a buyer with zero feedback.

After they had paid they asked for a refund. I don't have a problem with buyers remorse so was about to cancel the sale....

"However" the payment had not cleared through paypal. ...  I was not sure if I would be giving free money, by giving a refund and then waiting for the payment to clear, or would it cancel their payment and not take any of my money to pay them?? .....

I have written nicely that I am happy to cancel the sale when the payment is cleared...

Should I have cancelled the sale or did I do the right thing??  .... It was about $15 so not a lot ... But I object to being cheated or having money stolen !!!!

Thanks

You'll only get shafted on this if eBay thinks you've been paid and received the funds.

Generally when I have a situation like this, I do actually call eBay CSR to get assistance walking through it so I don't refund someone on funds that were never received.

FWIW, your buyer probably isn't a scammer, they probably overdrew their account and want you to cancel before it bounces and costs them a lot. This happened to me with a buyer once (had run out of funds and couldn't pay, but paypal kept attempting to withdraw from their bank).

Cheers, C.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply