cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with Ebay forcing returns on sellers? Any luck with reporting buyers?

My account states I do not accept returns. I will however accept them if something was somehow my fault. A listing error or what have you. However, a lady bought a set of Legos from me. I paid extra to shipnit faster. Then she says she wants to return it because it's "missing pieces." Well, surprise lady..it sure is. It said so on the very first line of my description. It is, in fact, pictured as such in my first 3 images in very close up detail. Now because she selected "missing pieces" I'm obligated to accept the return? I have zero option to decline it. She's also too busy to respond to me as she is entertaining guests. I spent about 2 hours during the course of 11 on the phone with Ebay. Was hung up on twice, put on hold multiple times, and promised a supervisor that never materialized. I was also told twice that a supervisor would return my call by then end of the day. I asked the last person I spoke to if they had any intent of lying to me again with the same supervisor line. MAYBE if I'm lucky and recieve my item back they MAY cover return shipping costs. Second time selling this set. First no payment, second a return for neglect to even GLANCE at my listing. No protection for me though. What the heck am I supposed to do. I forgot by the end of all the misery to ask how exactly I can spell it out for folks any clearer in my listing to avoid this in the future. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: What's with Ebay forcing returns on sellers? Any luck with reporting buyers?

The return policies options are as follows.

1. No Returns
  2. 30 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  3. 60 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  4. 30 day returns w/ seller pays shipping, AKA Free Returns
  5. 60 day returns w/ seller pays shipping. ALA Free Returns

With option number 1, No Returns the seller can completely deny taking a return for a Buyer's Remorse Return Request.  Or if they want to they can accept the return and have the buyer pay the return shipping.  If the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 2 & 3 the buyer is responsible for the return shipping on a Buyer's Remorse Return.  Plus if the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 4 & 5 above, they are also known as Free Returns.  If a seller that has either of those policies they will pay the return shipping even on a buyer's remorse return.  A seller can withhold the original shipping value from the refund if the shipping was separately stated in the listing [not free shipping].  Also Seller’s offering options 4 or 5 have the ability to do partial refunds in certain cases if the item arrives back damaged, missing something or in a condition less than what it was sent to the buyer in, see the policy for more details, the link is below.  In the cases where a deduction in the refund is taken due to damage or other authorized reasons for a partial refund, Ebay will protect the seller from negative or neutral feedback.

ALL OPTIONS [1, 2, 3, 4 and 5] are required to process SNAD claims without exception.  Even if they are improperly filed and should have been a Buyer’s Remorse claim.

All return policies by sellers must meet or exceed what is stated in the Money Back Guarantee Policy!

For those with Free Return and/or TRS members with 30 day return policies, there are some added benefits, one of which is the ability to do a discounted refund under certain conditions.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: What's with Ebay forcing returns on sellers? Any luck with reporting buyers?

My returns are way up this year too.

So, low sales and returns, probably 5X my average this year. All kinds of **bleep** too. One guy put a hole in a  ($) sweater, giant with a big run, tried to claim it was like that--like I wouldn't have seen it. Someone took a picture of a different tag for something and claimed I sent the wrong size. I have to make them all return and refund because I can not, in good faith, reward rip-off artists.

Plus, many times they are just fishing looking to see if I will say, "Oh, just keep the item and I will refund or refund partial" when I don't bite, they just go away. Many times they are professional scammers and know how to get the shipping paid by filing the correct type of return.

This, my friends, is why I went back to work. Now it's just minor aggravation.

I don't know how "free returns" people do it.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

My returns have not increased at all since changing my return policy to 30 days w/ seller pays shipping AKA Free Returns.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Now because she selected "missing pieces" I'm obligated to accept the return? 

As far as ebay is concerned, yes. You also have to provide a pre-paid shipping label and hope you get back what you sent.  Your other choice is to simply refund the buyer and let them keep it for free.  

If you don't select either one, eBay will choose the latter for you and give you a rather serious metric ding as well. 

Once a buyer chooses a "not as described" option,  your listing description and terms of sale become meaningless on this website regardless of the veracity of the buyer's claim. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Ugh. It's just stupid. They said I had time to select an option, but then never gave me time. I didn't want any of the options they provided so I chose 'contact buyer' I know it's on a time frame. They literally accepted the return the day after the complaint. I was waiting for a response from the buyer.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply