cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the nicest experience you've had with a buyer?

We all read horror stories from sellers on these boards of buyer scams, threats, and rudeness.  It can leave us disillusioned and pessimistic about our world.  This is a difficult selling environment, void of personal face-to-face contact and is solely dependent on our ability to communicate through the written word.

In my years of selling here, the majority of buyers have been kind, respectful, and appreciative.  After reading some disturbing posts this week, I thought I would like to have a thread where I could hear some uplifting stories from sellers about their buyers, for a nice change.

So…

A few years back I sold a full set of china to someone in early December.  Christmas morning I got a message from the buyer with photos attached showing her Christmas dinner table all decorated and set with the china she bought from me.  She was so proud of the way her table looked that morning that she wanted to share it with me.  I never had a buyer do anything like that and it made me feel good that she remembered how I packed it carefully and sent it out to her quickly so she took the time to include me in her Christmas morning.    

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: What's the nicest experience you've had with a buyer?

Your story is great and we all have to start somewhere.  Yes, there are still people that will stop and help, even when they don't have to.  Smiley Happy

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 31 of 40
latest reply

I was an early seller here. At that time, there was quite a bit of personal communication "allowed" between seller and buyer (as it still should be).

Lot of great communications, back when even our "not so friendly countries" and "we" found common ground - in the simple communication of selling and buying of small goods. Lots of "laughing" and working out language barriers in a good hearted way....

I wish communications were as open as they used to be.... "us" regular every day folks getting along with other every day folks (regardless of country)… if we are just able to communicate in a marketplace, that was an important start... key to friendships without politics:)

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

I feel like I feel like I’m telling a bedtime story to the kids,

once upon a time when you could have 20 auctions end and everything sold in one evening...  I was packing orders and watching a movie. I sent the remote for the tv to Texas and the guy was nice enough to send it back. 

You would have to wait a week for the money to come before you ship the item out, and we looked everywhere for that remote. 

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

@angelono wrote:

once upon a time when you could have 20 auctions end and everything sold in one evening...  I was packing orders and watching a movie. I sent the remote for the tv to Texas and the guy was nice enough to send it back. 

You would have to wait a week for the money to come before you ship the item out, and we looked everywhere for that remote. 

I agree.  eBay was just better back in those younger days.  Wow, before Paypal!  There was an online payment service within eBay called BillPoint, but not all buyers or sellers trusted it, as I recall.  As an eBay seller, I almost never waited for a mailed check to clear the bank before I shipped the item to my buyer.  If someone was going to all that bother to write a check and send it to me via postal mail, it wasn't going to bounce.  

This last bit is a tad off-topic, but I also believe that eBay's original feedback system was the absolute best.  It was overhauled in the summer of 2008 and that was my last year as an eBay seller.  Before that time, buyers and sellers could leave negative feedback for each other.  In my own personal experience as an eBay buyer and seller, this motivated both parties to do their best to resolve any potential problems because you didn't want that other person to leave you negative feedback.  I believe this policy kept eBay as an honest and functional marketplace and everything changed once sellers were no longer able to leave negative feedback for problem buyers.  I quit selling after that, and I'd been around almost since the very beginning with eBay as a buyer and a seller.  

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

One time I was selling die-cuts I made from a cutter quilt and scraps of feedsack fabric.  One buyer sent me several handmade greeting cards she made from them!

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

My business partner and I started up selling junk coin auctions in 2012. We found when we listed them at 99 cents it would draw a lot of people who want to boost their collection of common coins. I met a buyer in Richmond Hill (north of Toronto), he bought from me for a year.

We had something to do in downtown Toronto and got ourselves a suite on the gold floor for the weekend and our buyer was downtown for his own purpose. We invited him up to the gold floor lounge for some drinks (on us) to sit and chat about coins. When we arranged the meeting he asked for some coin supplies (my shop has a special deal with Unitrade, so we can wholesale these out for 40% of our competition's prices). I brought a box of supplies for him (he paid in cash). It would have cost $12 to ship them if he ordered from the B&M store.

It was a nice meeting for tea, and it worked out so well that we met him a couple more times in Toronto for lunch and drinks. But alas he's busy with other things now and hasn't been collecting coins for a few years.

C.

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

Me little story takes the cake..

My first year selling here around 1998 or 1999, I sold a diamond platinum Art Deco ring at $750.  It was beautiful.

The man lived in Connecticut.  He asked me to meet him 1/2 way between him & me in Manhattan and he’d pay cash.  I thought it would be fun and agreed to meet him in  Westchester somewhere in a shopping mall about 1 hour from my home and 1 hour from his home.

When I arrived there at the coffee shop in the mall I suddenly felt faint and fell down to the floor.   Mortified I recognized the man walking in the door.  From laying flat on the floor of the coffee shop I called out to this buyer.  It was morning and he spent the entire rest of the day ministering to me.  Finally about 12 hours later the mall was closing and we were kicked out.  This total stranger then drove me in my car 🚙 with me lying down in the back seat home to Manhattan, parked my car and got me safe upstairs.

He then had to take a cab to the NYC railroad station, wait for his train to take him to where the mall was, take another cab to the Westchester mall, pick up his own car and then drive 1 hour back in the night to his own home in Connecticut.

The following day he left me positive feedback!

What a man!

Buyers on Ebay in the early days!

I've been reading some nice stories in this thread  . However yours reminded me of the time  that my husband  and I and our two small children  were going to travel by train to visit my sister and her family . My cousin drove us to the train station and even helped  bring our luggage  on board . She adored my children and as she was giving them one last hug  the train took off before she could get off in time . She ended up having to ride with us to the next station  where she called her roomate to pick her up . We still laugh over it.. Tulips 

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

@angelono wrote:

Hahaha, This is actually one of the funnier stories I've heard.

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

When they just buy, don't say a word and leave positive feedback. That's as nice as it gets.
Message 39 of 40
latest reply

@csbbct wrote:

We all read horror stories from sellers on these boards of buyer scams, threats, and rudeness.  It can leave us disillusioned and pessimistic about our world.  This is a difficult selling environment, void of personal face-to-face contact and is solely dependent on our ability to communicate through the written word.

In my years of selling here, the majority of buyers have been kind, respectful, and appreciative.  After reading some disturbing posts this week, I thought I would like to have a thread where I could hear some uplifting stories from sellers about their buyers, for a nice change.

So…

A few years back I sold a full set of china to someone in early December.  Christmas morning I got a message from the buyer with photos attached showing her Christmas dinner table all decorated and set with the china she bought from me.  She was so proud of the way her table looked that morning that she wanted to share it with me.  I never had a buyer do anything like that and it made me feel good that she remembered how I packed it carefully and sent it out to her quickly so she took the time to include me in her Christmas morning.    

I still get a Christmas card every year  that even includes a family photo  from a person I did business with  about 4 years ago . She never forgets to send one . Also there was the  time I sold a glass locket to a buyer in Hawaii . However it arrived broken  and I refunded  her . About two weeks later  I received a cute  Hawaiian theme charm from the same buyer with a note saying '' I thought you could use this '' .. Very nice of her .  Tulips 

Message 40 of 40
latest reply