cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the next best step to take (Negative Feedback)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

A negative feedback popped up this past Saturday.  I've been communicating with the buyer in efforts to resolve.   The negative said "they dont' fit".   The item was a small retaining screw for automotive brake discs.

Purchase was made on 5/3, delivered on 5/5.   The feedback was posted on 5/20.  The buyer has 12 feedbacks (member since 2014), and left 3 feedbacks for other sellers (1 neg, 2 pos).  Without contacting me about any problem, the negative just came up out of the blue.

After I noticed the negative comment, I contacted the buyer.  The good news is, he has responded a couple times so far.   My first email to him requested vehicle details so I can confirm that he ordered the correct item.  Also in that email I said that if he simply does not need them, we welcome returns for a full refund. 

He responded with vehicle details, and said "they were too thick for his discs".   He did not say whether he has any desire or intention to return the item.

Assuming the buyer indeed had trouble installing the screws, my next thought is that there may be an issue with the hub bore being so rusted that the screws wouldn't thread in easily.  Or, the buyer purchased new aftermarket discs or hubs where the holes were machined incorrectly, preventing the screws from fitting in.

I asked if he was using his old/original discs and hubs, or if he had purchased new parts.  He replied that they were his factory discs.  I double-checked, there's no doubt these are the correct screws for the application.  Out of thousands sold, this is the first buyer to make a complaint that they're too big.

At this point I'm debating what to do.  Do I continue trying to help him by sharing the technical reasons why a person might have trouble threading in the news screws (i.e., rusted hub bore threads).  Or, do I just clearly ask him what he wants to do with the screws?   Maybe I should make it easy and just ask "Would you like to return them for a full refund?"

What do you think would be the next best thing to do?  

I'm hoping at some point after resolution, the buyer would revise the feedback.   Any chance of eBay removal?  

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@garymi6 wrote:
I wouldnt challenge the buyer needlessly. He obviously would know rust can affect a screw from fitting. This isn't his issue or if it is, he's not likely to admit the fault is on his side. Its just 7 bucks. Personally I would suck it up and be super nice, apologize for them not fitting, and refund the order. Then ask for a feedback revision. The neg removal would be worth the 7 bucks to me.

A $7 refund and the neg has been revised!

Better yet, I got the scoop on what happened.  Now I know why the buyer never answered the question of whether he wanted to return the screws for a refund.    When I sent a brief message the other day asking how things went with the installation, he replied that he actually threw away the screws when he realized he couldn't get them to fit.   He damaged the threads so he thought he couldn't return them.  

After reading his response, I sent a refund.   Then, a message.  "Aww, I'm sorry to hear they didn't work out for you.  Since you had to discard them, I think it's only fair to issue a refund.  I've processed a full refund through Paypal today.   If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a favor.  Your original feedback stated that the screws didn't fit.  I was hoping you'd consider revising to a positive comment.   If so, it would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know, and I'll send a feedback revision form.  It's quick and easy to do."

The buyer replied that he most certainly wants to revise.  So I sent the revision request, and within an hour he revised.  Smiley Happy

The $7 refund was worth it.   Now, had this been what I sensed to be a scammer, no way would he be getting a refund.   I would rather live with a negative feedback than give a scammer a refund.  But in this particular case, it turned out to be just a case of installer error, and since the truth came out, I thought it was right to give a refund.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 30 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

I'd ask him if he wants to return for refund........what's the money involved?  He may be one of those that just doesn't want to bother to pack it up and send it back.......

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Should I leave neutral or negative Feedback for a seller?

Feedback comments become a permanent part of a seller's record. If you're a buyer, contact your seller to try to resolve any issues before leaving neutral or negative Feedback. Please make sure that your comments are fair, based in fact, and relate to the specific transaction for which you received the feedback request.

"Without contacting me about any problem, the negative just came up out of the blue."

The above is taken right out of the feedback policy.  The bold few words seem pretty cut and dry, and self-explanatory.  Whether ebay actually would believe in what they have documented in writing is the great mystery.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

I'd ask him if he wants to return for refund........what's the money involved?  He may be one of those that just doesn't want to bother to pack it up and send it back.......

Only $7, including shipping via First Class Mail.

True, he may think it's not worth it to send back.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

I'd probably send a reply saying that they are the correct screws, but if the hubs are rusted that could cause the fit issue. (And any other tech stuff that he may need to solve on his end.)

Then I would ask if he would like to return the screws for a refund.

Leave it at that and see what he says.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

The OP has already offered a full refund upon return.

Some of us, like myself, feel a negative feedback indicates the end of the transaction.

I'd do nothing.

I would cease all communication.  I wouldn't keep asking what they want to do.

I would Only answer a SNAD case with the return for refund choice.

jmtcw,
Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Ayup!

How much is it worth for OP to satisfy the buyer, first, and maybe get a neg removed...second!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@copper.boom wrote:

I'd probably send a reply saying that they are the correct screws, but if the hubs are rusted that could cause the fit issue. (And any other tech stuff that he may need to solve on his end.)

Then I would ask if he would like to return the screws for a refund.

Leave it at that and see what he says.

Thanks Copper.   I'll go ahead and give this plan a try.   I messaged the buyer with a couple tech tips, and asked if he'd like to return for refund.  We'll see what he says!

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

I wouldnt challenge the buyer needlessly. He obviously would know rust can affect a screw from fitting. This isnt his issue or if it is, hes not likely to admit the fault is on his side. Its just 7 bucks. Personally I would suck it up and be super nice, apologize for them not fitting, and refund the order. Then ask for a feedback revision. The neg removal would be worth the 7 bucks to me.
Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Out of thousands sold, this is the first buyer to make a complaint that they're too big.

If the buyer won't revise feedback after your generous return offer, then I would comment that "return/refund was offered, 1st problem in thousands of sales."

If the neg is going to stick, you might as well point out there are thousands of buyers of this item with no problems. 

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@garymi6 wrote:
I wouldnt challenge the buyer needlessly. He obviously would know rust can affect a screw from fitting. This isnt his issue or if it is, hes not likely to admit the fault is on his side. Its just 7 bucks. Personally I would suck it up and be super nice, apologize for them not fitting, and refund the order. Then ask for a feedback revision. The neg removal would be worth the 7 bucks to me.

Thank you for the thoughts, @garymi6.  

As of now, I got a response from the buyer.   He said he would try "drilling the hole in the disc so then he can work the screws in".   That kind of clues me in to the fact that it's not so much a problem with the new screws, but an even bigger problem with (I'm assuming) getting the old screws out of the hub/disc because they are so rusted/seized.   Maybe in the past someone had attempted to drill out the old screws, but didn't completely remove the old screws, which would explain why there would be a hole, but not the proper/original size to allow the screw to pass through.   There's literally dozens of videos on YouTube demonstrating various methods of removing seized brake disc screws.  But since I'm not there to see what's going on, I can only speculate that the buyer is probably just frustrated with the old screw removal/installation difficulties. 

Having said that, I'm leaning toward ending the back-and-forth emails which may or may not result in a solution for this buyer.  You're right, I don't want to keep challenging the buyer needlessly.  Certainly a neg removal is worth more than $7 to me.   I wouldn't mind refunding and still continuing to help the buyer with a solution, because personally I don't think just a refund is the real answer to satisfying a customer when I know there are technical issues that can be overcome with a bit of effort.

What do you all think at this point?  If you were in this buyer's position, would you be happy with a refund, or would you welcome further advice?   Would a refund be enough of an incentive to revise a negative feedback, or would you still be angry/frustrated with the situation and leave the neg as  is in spite of a refund?

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

You do realize that a 7 dollar refund

won't guarantee they'll remove the neg?

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

Out of thousands sold, this is the first buyer to make a complaint that they're too big.

If the buyer won't revise feedback after your generous return offer, then I would comment that "return/refund was offered, 1st problem in thousands of sales."

If the neg is going to stick, you might as well point out there are thousands of buyers of this item with no problems. 

Thanks for the suggestion, @ersatz_sobriquet .  I'll keep that in mind in case the neg sticks. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

I know you like to offer great customer service, and to me it seems you're not pestering the buyer but offering help. If they weren't open to the assitance they would have ignored your messages.

I would send one final message to the buyer, offer them well-wishes for the project and let them know that you are happy to help trouble-shoot if needed. Let them know that if the screws still don't fit in the end you are happy to accept the return.

Leave it at that.

And I'd add a reply to the FB as Ersatz noted above.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@*eponymous* wrote:

Ayup!

How much is it worth for OP to satisfy the buyer, first, and maybe get a neg removed...second!

In all honestly, it's certainly worth $7, and I place no limit to how much time I spend advising the buyer with technical advice so that the problem is eventually solved and he's a truly satisfied buyer.  I would hope the buyer would revise FB because the problem was solved and he successfully installed the new screws, not simply because I gave him a refund.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply