cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is wrong about March 2019 seller update changing fixed price listings to good until canceled?

When are the duration choices for fixed price listings coming back?  Please let Ebay know that you want a choice to choose "good until canceled", not be forced into it.   It sounds good... until you figure out that you're going to be charged insertion fees on all your listings over the free 50 per month if you don't have a store.   So, if we received additional promotional listings during any given month, when the 30 day, good until canceled, fixed price listings auto renew, we will be charged insertion fees for all the listings that have rolled over that exceed the 50 free or don't happen to hit a promotion at the exact time they roll over!  That's a lot of money.  Money, I personally can't afford.  Stores are also impacted by this.

I have been selling on ebay since 2002.  I figured out that fixed price listings work better for me than auctions.  I refuse to start an auction with a lower price than I am willing to take for an item.  I start an auction with the price I would be happy to accept!  Add to that,  the 30% more that Ebay requires for buy it now, and you make your item very unappealing!   I would rather donate my items before I sell them for less money than they're worth, or worth to me in time and effort and final value fees.  Selling with Ebay has to be worth the time to research, list, package, and mail.  It takes a lot of time to even get one package out the door, which I am very happy to do, considering I sold it for what I was asking for it. I do not have a store, nor do I sell multiple items in single listings.  I sell items that are my only, or only lot of 1 per listing.  The good until canceled does not benefit me, and I am positive I am not alone.  I don't sell multiples,. The "out of stock" part of the "talk it up part" of this change, does nothing for sellers that are just trying to sell their own previously owned items to help with the family income.  We're not big time, we can't afford this change.  Please sellers let Ebay know that you're not happy about this.  Maybe, just maybe, they'll listen!  We had the choice before to choose good until canceled.  Please bring back that CHOICE. 

A lot of people won't play the auction game, and I don't blame them.   Personally, if I want to buy something, I usually want to buy it when I hit the button to purchase it.

Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

What is wrong about March 2019 seller update changing fixed price listings to good until canceled?

I totally agree with you. I sold for a few years and took a break, then started selling again last week. I was very surprised and also VERY disappointed that ebay took away the options to select from a variety of time frames. Personally, I never liked or used the list until cancelled or sold option before, most frequently, I used a 7 or 10 day listing. I sell mostly coins and have no interest in taking a loss on a bid style auction. I know what my coins are worth and would rather keep them or sell them only at a price where i make a profit.

I also think this will hurt ebay's revenue stream. Buyers can now sit back and wait weeks in hopes of finding a better deal in the meantime.... Setting a time limit gives a buyer the incentive to BUY IT NOW!

Not sure I'll play this game much longer....

Message 106 of 120
latest reply

I think this will cause sellers to lose sales. Buyers no longer have the incentive of a deadline and can sit back and wait if they maybe find a similar item for less. Not sure I'll be selling on ebay much loner....

Message 107 of 120
latest reply

I wish there was another way, but all I have managed to do so far is call, write here, and leave feedback that was limited to 500 characters. There are a lot of us that are trying to let them know. So far, I don't think they're listening 😞
Message 108 of 120
latest reply

Just ended all my listings and all my watch list items,,,Going elsewhere,,,Sick of ebays screw the seller mentality,,,Really! thats all they can think of !,,,My gut tells me they dont want the small seller anymore and this is their way of getting rid of us,,,,Well good riddance to you ebay!!
Message 109 of 120
latest reply

I agree with everything you said and then some.  We should be able to control our own listings. 

EBay is just trying to make more money off of use but they didn't completely thing it through.

It will just cause problems,  more work,  and unhappy customers.

This option does not work for so many reasons.............

1 - Forcing sellers to use Auction in a "not auction situation" is only going to hurt the person selling it and **bleep** off customers. We are not going to list our item for 30% cheaper just to get it on the board. And the customer will not want to buy it for 30% more, they just will go elsewhere.  Plus don't you thing customers will start to notice as a majority of Auction price get jacked up.  Should we just explain to them that we are just try to make our normal amount of money but Ebay wont let us list it at Fixed Price without some kind of scheme.   Plus I sell multiples so I suppose to just list 1 at a time. What a waste.

2 - As a small business I can't afford the extra fees every month. So my option would be to check and end my listings everyday as they are coming to an end.  And I guess lose a day on each listing. Who has time to do all this extra work every day NOT ME,  just to have it happen every month.  I sell new items in multiple quantity so this would happen all the time to me.   Plus I'm sure customers will begin to get upset as you start ending listing especially if they are watching them. 

3- All this did was create more work for the seller.   Cost the seller more money.  And create more chance of error being that all inventory and availability would be checked before I relisted the item.   And this also causes confusion  and inflated prices for the customer.

EBAY IS REALLY FORCING ME TO LOOK ELSEWHERE TO SELL MY PRODUCT......

YOU SHOULD ALSO CALL EBAY on the phone  BECAUSE THEY ARE LOGGING ALL THE CALL AND COMPILING ALL THE COMPLAINTS...

Message 110 of 120
latest reply

@ikey121 wrote:
I wish there was another way, but all I have managed to do so far is call, write here, and leave feedback that was limited to 500 characters. There are a lot of us that are trying to let them know. So far, I don't think they're listening 😞

They are listening.  VP Harry Temkin posted a response on this Board.  

No offense but you are conflating listening with taking action or rescinding the change.  Listening does not require they do either.  They can listen without taking action.  Not raining on anyone's parade, I understand the issues and the upset regarding this change.  Just an observation.

Now eBay has walked back policy, most notably the markdown manager time constraints, but as far as GTC, time will tell.

Message 111 of 120
latest reply

Another example of ebaY doing whatever they want to do without consulting sellers or buyers and there is NOTHING anyone can do about it. We've been on ebaY since 1998 and cut back severely two years ago as the Store sales dwindled to a losing operation. We used to list 30,000 items ALL THE TIME on a rotating basis, plus 350 auctions every WEEK. And it was worth it. NO MORE. We just today cancelled all our Store listings because of this Automatic Relisting feature ebaY imposed on everyone. It is a simple way for them to get more revenue without considering sellers at all. A sad story that presages the irrelevance of ebaY in the next five years. A good idea ruined by constant meddling and the demand by buyers for IMMEDIATE arrival of whatever a they want. It is an impatient marketplace. And ebaY has lost its standing as a sensible and attractive place to buy.  They still offer the only place for auctions, which we will continue to run for our paper collectibles.

thejumpingfrog

Message 112 of 120
latest reply

Not at all helpful "dollybeauty". My selling profile is almost exactly the same as Scout's. I feel I have been forced to use the auction mode and have had to reduce my opening prices in order to try to sell anything; this results in a no win / no win outcome. Ebay doesn't earn as much in fees. Seller doesn't get anywhere near the value AND has to pay fees.

I believe ebay is intentionally forcing out the "ma and pa" accounts in order to focus on the commercial store accounts.
Message 113 of 120
latest reply

Having better sales with yard sales now that spring is here. Other sellers swear by FB Mrkt plc, which I am a little hesitant to try--no fees, however!
Message 114 of 120
latest reply

Well said. Thank you!
Message 115 of 120
latest reply

Exactly! Where else would you be charged fees for not selling something?
Message 116 of 120
latest reply

I agree the whole point to “Buy it Now” is now lost.  I used to make 3 Day BIN auctions with the lowest price in the field and clean up because they only had a short time to buy my lowest priced ( or maybe high quality limited item).    That’s all washed away now with this update.  I refuse to do bidding auctions.  Very sad as I have been EBaying since 2000.

Message 117 of 120
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@greg5000 wrote:

I used to like this place too .... look at how many items I purchased.

You must have another buying id? I see feedback for only 358 transaction in 9 years. That's really not many items on the id you're posting with.

The number next to your user ID does not reflect how many items you purchased as a buyer.  The number you need to look at (which also isn't the true number) is within the Feedback Profile, just below the different Feedback Left/Feedback Received Tabs.

For my account you'll see:   895 Feedback received

I opened my account in April, 2010

As I made many multiple item purchases from Sellers in one order (sometimes 20-30 items), the Feedback was sometimes limited to just 1 or 2.  Also, there were some Sellers that didn't leave Feedback.  The number of actual items I purchased in 9 years is approx. 1400 (from my records).

When I look at my statistics spread over time:

I purchased ~ 155.55 items/year over 9 years & 12.91 items/month

For your account I see:  301 Feedback received

You opened your account in November, 1998

When I look at your statistics spread over time:

You purchased ~ 14.68 items/year over 20.5 years & 1.22 items/month

Message 118 of 120
latest reply

And that would be a shame because the Mom and Pop stores are what make eBay unique.  

Message 119 of 120
latest reply

Dead links. I was recently reading about dead links. In that article it talked about removing listings and then relisting them. The old listing that was removed is a dead link and if someone clicks that on from Google or some other site it leads a blank page and/or this item is no longer available. Google and other sites will slowly drop your SEO. And now with everyone delisting and relisting there will be millions and eventually billions more dead links.

Message 120 of 120
latest reply