cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What inquiries do you ignore?

Or do you answer every every single message that you get? 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I normally answer ALL  questions, but I recently ignored one.

I do not accept offers.

A potential customer made me an offer on a item that I only have two of.

I politely declined his offer.  

Two weeks later (after one sold) he tells me...

His offer is still on the table "any thoughts"?

I didn't think that deserved a reply.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I do not accept offers.

For me, I do respond with a very simple message.  Thank you for considering my items, however I do not accept best offers.  My prices are as stated.  Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

I do not accept offers.

For me, I do respond with a very simple message.  Thank you for considering my items, however I do not accept best offers.  My prices are as stated.  Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.  

That's what I did tell him ... the first time.

I didn't think the second time deserved a reply. 

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

I do not accept offers.

Your call.  You have plenty of experience to make such a call.  So I'm not sure what we are talking about here.

I can tell you I have one repeat buyer that does the same thing.  I gave up a long time ago in getting here to contact me first.  She is well aware that I won't refund as much to her because of the separate payments and she apparently is fine with that as she keeps coming back.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

I do not accept offers.

Your call.  You have plenty of experience to make such a call.  So I'm not sure what we are talking about here.

I can tell you I have one repeat buyer that does the same thing.  I gave up a long time ago in getting here to contact me first.  She is well aware that I won't refund as much to her because of the separate payments and she apparently is fine with that as she keeps coming back.

I guess i could have replied:

"I haven't changed my policy from 2 weeks ago."   😉

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

I do not ignore any inquiries, but I do not answer all and sometimes my response is to add the buyer to my blocked buyer's list.

Sometimes a buyer is telling you that they are not someone you want to deal with. You might want to respond by thanking them for their interest, after you block them.

No sale or potential sale is worth dealing with people who you know you do not want to engage with.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

I completely ignore those asking for free shipping and those with a very low ball offer.  I usually add those to my best buddy list. (Block bidder list.)   Otherwise I answer every question even the stupid ones like what color is the car when the title says "Hot Wheels Camaro SS  Red ". 

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

If I can't say anything nice, I don't say anything at all.

I don't answer a lot of inquiries 😀

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

If an offer comes through on a message, I usually ignore it, unless it is reasonable, then I direct them to make an offer through the listing.  If I get an offer through the make-an-offer system, I either counter, accept, or reject - no explanation is necessary.  

I just received an offer for $25 on an LP that I have listed at $35.  Why even respond with anything other than a declination?  Album is listed anywhere between $29 and $60,  and sold items average $38.  One seller is lower than me - just buy from that janky seller 🙂  I think just rejecting the offer speaks louder than any "unfortunately, I regret to inform you, I'm so sorry that I can't take your offer because I don't want to" response.  

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

Always.

Though in some cases it may require an hour or two to compose myself.

In extreme cases scotch is required afterwards.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

If I can't say anything nice, I don't say anything at all.

I don't answer a lot of inquiries 😀

No matter what a buyer says, we should always respond in a professional and polite manner.  If their email is offensive, then report them.  We now have that option returned to us by Ebay.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@mn467462 wrote:

Or do you answer every every single message that you get? 

I only  don't answer when I don't want to engage... even some of the less than polite messages I do respond to was to take the high road and be professional, even though they weren't really doing that...

One I decided not to answer, I had Egyptian proofs up for auction and was running 5 per week. On the second week, he messaged me to as how many I had in total and if I could give him a price for all. Under normal circumstances I would have politely told him they will run at auction, but this buyer (the previous year) tried to make a deal with me, and sent me a series of messages pretending we took the sale off site and that I had sent him a tracking number for his order. I reported him and blocked him (and the items were still for sale too).

I wanted to say "as if I don't remember who you are..." If someone plays games because I don't give him a deal, it's an immediate report and block. No good can come of engaging with some people.

C.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply