cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does a blocked buyer see?

When you block a buyer, are they able to see your listings?  Or do they get a message of some sort when they try to buy something? If so, what does the message read? 

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

They are able to see your listings; unless they hit the back button, when they see your id.

They won't know they are blocked, unless you have told them, until they go to bid or buy.  Then they receive a message that states, This seller is not accepting bids from you.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

They are able to see your listings; unless they hit the back button, when they see your id.

They won't know they are blocked, unless you have told them, until they go to bid or buy.  Then they receive a message that states, This seller is not accepting bids from you.

Yeah, I would never tell anyone they are blocked. I don't do it very often, but when I do it's for a very good reason. See, I thought they were blocked from seeing the listings.  So, when they see that message that the seller is not accepting bids or offers from them, there is nothing preventing them from creating a temporary ID and buying anyway? Is this correct? 

Someone asked me last week if I would accept a lower offer on one of my items (I do not have offers accepted selected). I politely said " I'm sorry, but that is the lowest I can go at this time, Thank you". They responded and berated me with, I am selling the item too high compared to other sellers, and I will never sell it at that price.  I did not respond, I blocked them.  2 days went by and it sold with a temp ID zero FB.  I'm hoping they didn't buy it out of spite and trying return it and leave me bad FB. 

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

Yeah, I would never tell anyone they are blocked. I don't do it very often, but when I do it's for a very good reason. See, I thought they were blocked from seeing the listings.  So, when they see that message that the seller is not accepting bids or offers from them, there is nothing preventing them from creating a temporary ID and buying anyway? Is this correct? 

Someone asked me last week if I would accept a lower offer on one of my items (I do not have offers accepted selected). I politely said " I'm sorry, but that is the lowest I can go at this time, Thank you". They responded and berated me with, I am selling the item too high compared to other sellers, and I will never sell it at that price.  I did not respond, I blocked them.  2 days went by and it sold with a temp ID zero FB.  I'm hoping they didn't buy it out of spite and trying return it and leave me bad FB. 

You would be surprised; some sellers not only tell those they have blocked, they take great delight in doing so.  

They would only see that message if they actually go to bid or buy.  Otherwise, they won't see it.  But yes, they could start a new id to buy it.  Ebay rules used to state that was a violation, an offense, to circumvent a seller's BBL.  But now they say it is ok as long as the buyer does not have malicious intent.  Malicious intent will not be apparent until after the transaction is completed, so then you would need to call CS and hopefully get any neg removed, etc.

Good call on not responding.  My thought was, if other sellers are selling it for less, why not buy from them?  Not that I would say that.

Hopefully your buyer is just another new buyer who wanted to buy your item.

Please let us know what happens.  Good Luck.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

If you are signed in to eBay you will not see the listing. If you sign out or use a browser not connected to eBay in anyway, you will see the listing. How do I know this? Well I once asked a seller a question about an item he was selling. I admit the way I put the question made him think I was interested in buying the item just for the part in question when all I was trying to figure out was how to properly refurbish my item.

Well, after that question I could no longer see the item. Every search came up empty. It took me quite a while before I figured I was blocked. So I signed out of eBay and did a search and lo and behold, there was the item still for sale. 

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@slati_2013 wrote:

If you are signed in to eBay you will not see the listing. If you sign out or use a browser not connected to eBay in anyway, you will see the listing. How do I know this? Well I once asked a seller a question about an item he was selling. I admit the way I put the question made him think I was interested in buying the item just for the part in question when all I was trying to figure out was how to properly refurbish my item.

Well, after that question I could no longer see the item. Every search came up empty. It took me quite a while before I figured I was blocked. So I signed out of eBay and did a search and lo and behold, there was the item still for sale. 

Why should anyone answer a question to help you refurbish your item?

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Well, it is obvious you would not have helped, but if I have a rare item on my hands with no manual available online, I see nothing wrong with asking someone who is selling one. By the way, he answered my question completely, even sending me detailed pictures, but I think he got spooked that I may buy the item just for the part in question, a very rare part. But as eBay claims, everything can be found for sale on eBay and sure enough I found the rare part I needed on eBay. I could not have done it though without the seller's information. 

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

You would be surprised; some sellers not only tell those they have blocked, they take great delight in doing so.  

They would only see that message if they actually go to bid or buy.  Otherwise, they won't see it.  But yes, they could start a new id to buy it.  Ebay rules used to state that was a violation, an offense, to circumvent a seller's BBL.  But now they say it is ok as long as the buyer does not have malicious intent.  Malicious intent will not be apparent until after the transaction is completed, so then you would need to call CS and hopefully get any neg removed, etc.

Good call on not responding.  My thought was, if other sellers are selling it for less, why not buy from them?  Not that I would say that.

Hopefully your buyer is just another new buyer who wanted to buy your item.

Please let us know what happens.  Good Luck.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.  I was suspicious because both user names started with John, I know it's a common name. 

Thanks !!

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

slati_2013 wrote:

If you are signed in to eBay you will not see the listing. If you sign out or use a browser not connected to eBay in anyway, you will see the listing.

Huh? I have never heard about that in the 19 yrs or so I have been buying/selling on eBay. Do you have a link to this policy?thinking

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@doctorfegg wrote:

@slati_2013 wrote:

If you are signed in to eBay you will not see the listing. If you sign out or use a browser not connected to eBay in anyway, you will see the listing.

Huh? I have never heard about that in the 19 yrs or so I have been buying/selling on eBay. Do you have a link to this policy?thinking

This is not true. It was just a coincidence, or there was something else making the listings hard to find.

I have a friend who sells on eBay. When he started to sell, I helped him set up his account, and we put each other's IDs on our blocked bidder lists so that they would never interact by mistake and raise red flags for eBay -- even though I am on his blocked bidder list, I can still see all of his listings, and he could see mine. I have never been blocked from seeing any of them. I check them out for him sometimes when he wants to know how they look.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

I had a similar situation recently.  A lowball offer ( I don't even have Best Offer on the listing) for an item that was up for less that 48 hours.  My price is 75% lower than some other Sellers who have the same item listed.  My listing price is reasonable by comparison, and will eventually sell over time.  When I received the lowball, I responded nicely that I was selling the item for someone else, and I would have to ask them about a reduction.  Then I just ignored the request.  And then contemplated adding this person to my BBL.  But did not, for the same reason you did.  I figured they would circumvent the system, buy the item, then make some ridiculous claim to get the price they really wanted because now they would be mad that I had blocked them.  I still worry that they may buy the item, but if they do and try to pull something, I will be ready in advance (extra close-up pics of the item, pics of how it is packed, etc).  Better safe than sorry.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

I would not exactly call it a policy.  I was just pointing out my experience a few years ago when a seller blocked me. I did not see the listing while signed into eBay. 

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

I must point out this buyer was in England and I don't know if that made the difference. 

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

So, when they see that message that the seller is not accepting bids or offers from them, there is nothing preventing them from creating a temporary ID and buying anyway? Is this correct? 

Not necessarily. It is correct that they can get another I.D. and buy from you anyway but then you have to deal with reporting them and having Ebay see if they can figure out if it is the same person. Unfortunately blocking people is actually kind of a rude thing to do and many buyers will try to get some sort of retaliation. It is best to try to avoid blocking if possible. Many sellers come here who block anyone and everyone and have many problems because of it.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

They responded and berated me with, I am selling the item too high compared to other sellers, and I will never sell it at that price. 

I get that from time to time. My usual response is:

"I've never understood this type of question. If you already found it for less somewhere else why not just buy it from them and be done with it"

The answer of course is that their statement is just Road Apples (Colonel Potter can explain that euphemism)

Message 15 of 33
latest reply