cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Damaged item Shipping Problem

I sent an item through global shipping and it was damaged during transit.  Usually  I have had no problem with getting reimbursed in the past for this, until now....  Buyer filed through Paypal as "not as described" instead of filing through Ebay, and because of this it has been a nightmare!  It has been 2 weeks, and now Paypal is saying another month to look into this??? My $200 in funds is being held, and I've called them twice with no luck.  They informed me that it should have gone through Ebay, (which I'm  aware of ), instead of them, but now there is nothing they can do about it.  My question is;  Is there a chance this will go wrong for me?  Why should it be different how they treat the case just because its Paypay and not Ebay?  I packed item extremely well and absolutely do not feel that this should be on me, nor do I feel the buyer should lose either.  If Global shipping is going to be so difficult to use, then I will not be using them anymore, not worth the risk.

Message 1 of 191
latest reply
190 REPLIES 190

If the item is damaged after it arrives at the GSP you aren’t responsible. The gsp is. Unfortunately both eBay and PayPal tend to drop the ball when GSP is responsible. Even if the buyer files with PayPal, the GSP is still responsible. I believe eBay will need to contact PayPal, paypal will release your money and the refund to the buyer will come from eBay. And supposedly PayPal is supposed to be aware of the fact that the GSP is responsible but you are the 2nd seller in recent weeks to have this same issue.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 191
latest reply

I tried to get Ebay involved, but Ebay told be it was not their issue because it was filed with PayPal...
How would they know when the item was damaged? There would be no way to tell inside the box, do they inspect it at the global shipping center?

Message 3 of 191
latest reply

PayPal is supposed to be aware of the fact that the GSP is responsible..

GSP Snad and "damaged in shipping" claims are initally sent directly to the seller.  Both ebay and the Pal pretend they don't know that it was a GSP sale that has a couple of additional protections for the seller.  The seller must CALL CS...a behavior that is likely more frustrating and painful than getting a root canal. 

Both entities, the Pal and ebay, know full well it is a GSP sale.  They hope the seller will not pursue. 

Message 4 of 191
latest reply

I have called both Ebay (twice) and PayPal. Ebay says "not my problem". PayPal says "It will take a another month to get resolved", but it seems like they are treating it as a regular "not as described claim", rather then GSP sale, (even though they know what it is). Not sure what other customer service I can call since I've tried both? I do not appreciate these games that they play with sellers, we are after all the ones who fund them.....

Message 5 of 191
latest reply

Well....I am not surprised by this. Check out this thread https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Global-Shipping-Program-terms-not-being-honored/m-p/28236864 the seller was in the same situation that you are in and his dealing with eBay and PayPal was the same. 

Perhaps @Anonymous can intervene and help you out?

Message 6 of 191
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gjlutz wrote:

I sent an item through global shipping and it was damaged during transit.  Usually  I have had no problem with getting reimbursed in the past for this, until now....  Buyer filed through Paypal as "not as described" instead of filing through Ebay, and because of this it has been a nightmare!  It has been 2 weeks, and now Paypal is saying another month to look into this??? My $200 in funds is being held, and I've called them twice with no luck.  They informed me that it should have gone through Ebay, (which I'm  aware of ), instead of them, but now there is nothing they can do about it.  My question is;  Is there a chance this will go wrong for me?  Why should it be different how they treat the case just because its Paypay and not Ebay?  I packed item extremely well and absolutely do not feel that this should be on me, nor do I feel the buyer should lose either.  If Global shipping is going to be so difficult to use, then I will not be using them anymore, not worth the risk.

Hi @gjlutz, while eBay and PayPal are able to hold the third party shipper accountable for any damage or loss in transit through the Global Shipping Program, it does look like a chargeback was filed for this transaction, so the Financial Institution would be in charge of the investigation. They would not have the same agreement with the third party shipper and subsequently, PayPal is not able to offer the same protections as they work with you regarding the chargeback. I know this must be a very stressful situation and I can only recommend that you continue to work with PayPal on this transaction to explore all available options.

Message 7 of 191
latest reply

eBay can't do anything about this? If the seller loses the chargeback can't eBay still hold the 3rd party shipper accountable and reimburse the seller?

Message 8 of 191
latest reply

@lovtaco0 wrote:

eBay can't do anything about this? If the seller loses the chargeback can't eBay still hold the 3rd party shipper accountable and reimburse the seller?

That’s the right thing to do. But it will not happen.

Message 9 of 191
latest reply

I know, but I had to put it out there.

Message 10 of 191
latest reply

So you are saying I am out $200 because  the item was damaged during shipping through Global shipping even though there is supposed to be protection against this?  I do not understand why a charge back would delete Paypal or Pitney Bowes responsiblity to protect the seller?  I had no idea something like this could happen, I think everyone should think twice about having  global shipping on their accounts.

On another note, the buyer actually paid closer to $300 since they paid Global fees, whats going to happen with that?  Am I going to have to fork out the $200 plus lose the $50 I paid for the item, and another $80 for shipping  that I never recieved?? So I will be out a total of $550--

Message 11 of 191
latest reply

@gjlutz wrote:

So you are saying I am out $200 because  the item was damaged during shipping through Global shipping even though there is supposed to be protection against this?  I do not understand why a charge back would delete Paypal or Pitney Bowes responsiblity to protect the seller?  I had no idea something like this could happen, I think everyone should think twice about having  global shipping on their accounts.

On another note, the buyer actually paid closer to $300 since they paid Global fees, whats going to happen with that?  Am I going to have to fork out the $200 plus lose the $50 I paid for the item, and another $80 for shipping  that I never recieved?? So I will be out a total of $550--

If that happens, there shouldn't be a seller left on here that would use the GSP.

Plus the $20 chargeback fee. I am sorry you're dealing with this gjlutz - I didn't realize it was a pitfall of the GSP either.

Message 13 of 191
latest reply

@Anonymous- Is it possible for the buyer to cancel the chargeback and instead initiate a regular PayPal SNAD case? Could this be an option for the OP to work with the buyer, explain the 3rd party insurance and try to get cooperation?

Message 14 of 191
latest reply

Hi @gjlutz, while eBay and PayPal are able to hold the third party shipper accountable for any damage or loss in transit through the Global Shipping Program, it does look like a chargeback was filed for this transaction, so the Financial Institution would be in charge of the investigation. They would not have the same agreement with the third party shipper and subsequently, PayPal is not able to offer the same protections as they work with you regarding the chargeback.

Interesting...so the GSP protections for an  ebay seller are down the ah hem DRAIN if the buyer goes directly to their c.card processor for redress?   All c.card issues come via PayPal.   Why are not sellers forewarned about this GSP loophole?   Been holding off buying from the UK...I see it as viable now /sarcasm. 

Message 15 of 191
latest reply