cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are a few sites that are seller friendly for used men's clothes especially shoes and boots?

I am sorely disapointed in my Ebay sales. I sell men's used clothing and especially shoes and boots. I keep my prices on thr low side of average price. I give very accurate descriptions and very good photos. I try to follow all of ebay's seller rules. When I first started selling I offered free and fast shipping only to discover I was making very little per sale. I no longer offer free shipping. I am doing every thing I'm suppose to do. 

I am now lookig for one or two sites to sell my items that are more seller friendly than ebay and with better potential sales. Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

What are a few sites that are seller friendly for used men's clothes especially shoes and boots?

Please see # 13

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Rules-of-Engagement/td-p/26164369

Sorry but you can google what you seek. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Can anyone help?

I am sure there are people that could help.  However, this is an eBay board, and thus they are not allowed to say. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

OP, I sell clothing and can pretty much tell you that no matter where you go, the same thing will happen.  The problem isn't the site, it is what you are selling.

I sell clothing and do very well with mens and I can tell you that most of your items have low desirability in the marketplace.  Example, you ave a pair of size 8 shoes, there are very few men that wear a size 8 today they are way too small, I won't touch anything under a 10 unless it is so high style, it can be used for display AND I am getting it so cheap, I can afford to give it away.

What you need to do is analyze the genre you are selling in, figure out what they are buying and why - and what isn't selling and understand that, also.  Another site isn't going to help you much.

(*Bleep*)
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

When I see posts about selling used clothes I tend to automatically think sellers are getting their inventory from Goodwill and other thrift outlets.

I see the two threats to success in this market.

1. There are now too many sellers competing for a shrinking number of buyers because of number two.

2. More potential eBay buyers are themselves buying directly from Goodwill and those other thrift outlets. 

A bonus when buying from Goodwill is that they have fitting rooms, ergo no returns.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@duggmills wrote:

When I see posts about selling used clothes I tend to automatically think sellers are getting their inventory from Goodwill and other thrift outlets.

1. There are now too many sellers competing for a shrinking number of buyers because of number two.

2. More potential eBay buyers are themselves buying directly from Goodwill and those other thrift outlets. 

A bonus when buying from Goodwill is that they have fitting rooms, ergo no returns.

I would respectfully add a third point to the above.

• Buyers can find brand new clothing at deeply discounted prices when big-box stores like Target, Shopko, and dozens of others, constantly offer sales with reductions of 50% and more.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@duggmills wrote:

I would respectfully add a third point to the above.

• Buyers can find brand new clothing at deeply discounted prices when big-box stores like Target, Shopko, and dozens of others, constantly offer sales with reductions of 50% and more.

Which is why sellers of tagged deadstock and used clothing on the internet should stay away from common stuff that is mid price range brands..which is a lot of what the OP has.

If you want to sell, then get the unusual, the quality higher priced brands, and styles that are going to be trendy, not last years leftovers.

And unfortunately, thrift shops are the best place to get clothing after a retail shop.  I hit an estate sale last weekend and the prices for clothing were higher than I can get it at Salvation Army and with 2 exceptions the closets were a waste of time.  The nice thing about thrifts is that there is a variety of thousands of items to choose from in all styles and sizes, you are not stuck with one size range and style.  And if you plan ahead and buy off season, you can get great stuff cheap because no one wants to buy a bulky sweater in June, but when I list my stash of sweaters in Sept, I make a killing.

The buyers buying on the internet are the same type of buyers that are starting to pay Uber to deliver a Big Mac to them, or have the grocery store fill their orders because they don't want to go out and do the work themselves.  They won't go to the thrift shop themselves unless slumming becomes a trend.  And when I shop at the thrift, I enjoy the people who look but don't actually shop because everything isn't sorted to their sizes and favorite colors and they don't want to invest the time and work to dig out the goodie they really want.  They graze through a couple of racks, get fed up and go to the mall, or hit the internet and buy it there.

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Thank you. I appreciate you help.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@penwolf wrote:

I keep my prices on thr low side of average price.

There are thousands of the same shoes you are selling that are cheaper. Other sites will most likely not help you as buyers want the lowest price. You are not competing with store prices; you are competing with other Ebay sellers who are offering for less.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@penwolf  Consider diversifying what you sell.  As to other sites, it is not permitted to discuss selling on them here. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I'm not sure what the others are talking about in telling you don't have the right stuff.  Appears to me you have plenty of sales.  I'm guessing your average sale must be in the $20 to $30 range?  I doubt you'll retire off your ebay sales, but it likely gives you a little spending money and a nice home office deduction.  Ebay is probably the best online marketplace for what you have.

The mid range will give you volume, while the higher end stuff will sit there a long time.  So you're no better off going with expensive things IMO.  Forget about offering free shipping, but you might do some calculation to come up with a flat rate shipping price, perhaps as a % of each items price across the board.  Your shipping prices look high for used clothing.  You don't ship to PO boxes?  Are you only using UPS or Fedex?  Even with rising prices, USPS is still the lowest out there and the ebay discount will cover your supplies.  Add 1 or 2 dollars to the item price and get the shipping down.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I'm not saying that they don't have the right stuff - I am saying that they have some things that are not going to sell.  Not everything sells, especially if you have a variety of different items. 

Since the OP only has selling feedback for the past 6 months, I believe what has happened to their sales has been commonplace on ebay - a newer seller lists what they have, the good stuff is picked off and they are left with the hard to sell stuff. 

Combine that with the also commonplace reports that new sellers get boosts in search of their stuff for the first few months and in 6 months, their sales fall to ebay seller average.

OP, I have a less than 10% sell through in the clothing category.  That category is glutted, and if you search in completed and compare the numbers listed compared to the numbers sold of basic items like polo shirts and you will see that clothing is a hard category to sell in.

And their ship costs are right on average.  Most mens shoes weigh well over a pound and factoring in cross country shipping, and there are few ship prices the OP has that seem gouging.

For what the OP is selling, ebay is actually the best place to be.  The problem is that there are hundreds of thousands of sellers that know the same thing.  The OP just needs to experiment and then apply the experience that comes with every sale to tailor their stock so that it is of interest to the most available buyers.

(*Bleep*)
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Just another quick comment.  The most valuable real estate on Ebay is the primary photo and the TITLE, make good use of them both - especially the title because that's pretty much the only thing Google SEO may pick up.  But even in ebay search, it's gold, don't waste it on words and numbers that don't matter to buyers.  Drop your inventory number and use the best key words.  Here's an example, cowboy boots that don't have the word "leather" in the title.  Anyone searching for leather cowboy boots will easily miss yours.  And in some you use nubuck but not leather, use them both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAN-POST-MENS-WESTERN-COWBOY-BOOTS-10D-BEIGE-TAN-BEAUTIFUL-523186/323285203...

Message 13 of 13
latest reply