cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I missing in selling these items?

I have a bunch of boxed toner catridges for printers. Specifically, they are GPR-23 Cyan, Yellow, Magenta and Black that I'm trying to sell as a set (4). Like other items that I have sold successfully, I went into the completed listings/sold listings and looked at what previous items sold for and when. These are all over the place, however.

I see listings for a single one of these where one sold for about $55 as "New Other" (whatever issue they had listed with it) and others sold for $75 for a single one brand new without any issues.

Yet I saw someone put four of them up the other day for auction and they got about $78 for all four of them. I'm kind of curious how listings like item# 122775793039 sell for $273 for four of them and I can't seem to sell them at $199 for four with free shipping, even with a "boosted" listing.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. How did they get someone to pay that price for it? Was it just a lucky break or something?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Could have been someone who needed those cartrides ASAP, found that seller and went for it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Sometimes a buyer will look at proximity of an item to their location. Or familiarity with the seller.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hi, I took a look at your feedback and find you have sold the cartridges successfully at that $199 pricepoint. Is your concern that you aren't selling more, or aren't meeting those amounts right now? I see they sold at 199.99, 329.99, and 260.55 in various quantities in the recent past. Your sales seems pretty good to me.

To answer your question about how the other seller got a higher dollar amount than you, it could be that he is more established with a wider customer base of loyal repeat buyers. Perhaps it is because his feedback score was higher. Perhaps it is because his listing was higher in Search and more eyes landed on it. Or perhaps his buyers did not do their due diligence and just bought the first set they found, without comparing prices. Or perhaps his listing gave more pertinent information regarding the items. For example, he has listed the compatible model numbers to the printers those cartridges fit, while your description is very lean. (However, i would never buy from a seller who fills his listing up with negative verbiage regarding his terms of sale such as he did. Which by the way, are unenforceable and some even against eBay policy.)

How long has your listing been up compared to his?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Hi, I took a look at your feedback and find you have sold the cartridges successfully at that $199 pricepoint. Is your concern that you aren't selling more, or aren't meeting those amounts right now? I see they sold at 199.99, 329.99, and 260.55 in various quantities in the recent past. Your sales seems pretty good to me.

Those were different models of toner and probably a bit more popular. The GPR-23s are still used by a lot of people, just not as popular as the previous models that I sold. Also, I have used the "boost" option to improve my views (which has helped), but no buyers in particular.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Who knows how long someone else had to wait to get that $273. If you expect to get near full retail value then you will need to wait your turn until the next buyer comes along who is willing to pay full price and who really needs 4.

But as you wait, other sellers will continue to pop up and sell for less undercuting your price and this will cause you to have to wait even longer.

The best solution is a gradually lowering of your price until it sells.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply