cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Happens If You List An Item In Two Different Sales?

Can aqnyone tell me what happens if you run two different sales and an item gets included in both sales?  I have been putting a lot of items on sale lately, and when choosing items individually, can't remember sometimes if I included an item in the previous sale.  If you do happen to include an item in two different sales, I'm sure eBay has a default for it, does it just default to the greater priced sale, or does it just stick with it's first sale listing?  (For example, a pair of shoes listed in a 25% sale, then it's also listed in a 20% sale when the sales are running at the same time)?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What Happens If You List An Item In Two Different Sales?

@supersavingsdepot-9

There's a filter when you use MDM.  You can "exclude listings on sale" and it will only pull up listings that aren't currently on sale or scheduled to go on sale.  It helps a lot.

I rely on it heavily else I wouldn't know what I was doing half the time. Smiley Happy

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Delete one of them before one sells and then you have no stock for the 2nd one. You would then have to cancel the 2nd sale and get a dreaded defect. A couple of defects and you are no go.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@supersavingsdepot-9 wrote:

Can aqnyone tell me what happens if you run two different sales and an item gets included in both sales?  I have been putting a lot of items on sale lately, and when choosing items individually, can't remember sometimes if I included an item in the previous sale.  If you do happen to include an item in two different sales, I'm sure eBay has a default for it, does it just default to the greater priced sale, or does it just stick with it's first sale listing?  (For example, a pair of shoes listed in a 25% sale, then it's also listed in a 20% sale when the sales are running at the same time)?

If you run the same pair of shoes in two listings you risk that both will end with sales, but since you only have one pair you will get an out of stock defect for the other transaction.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It shows whether the item is on sale.  But, it will likely list with the first discount since  items cannot be discounted twice.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@supersavingsdepot-9 Are you talking about Markdown Manager?

You can see all of your sale items by going here:

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Online-Toy-Box/_i.html?rt=nc&LH_SaleItems=1

Why not give it a quick glance before running a second markdown? Currently you only have 1 item marked down and overall you only have 144 items so it shouldn't be difficult to manage.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Pretend you sell both of them at the same time - either to one person, or maybe 2 different people.  How would you fulfil both orders? Never list duplicates - especially if you don't have the inventory.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Okay, let's do it this way - what happens if you run a shirt in one sale at 25% off and the same shirt in a sale at 30% off, and both sales are running at the same time?   I'm not talking about an item selling twice, as once it sells, it sells.  I'm just wondering what happens if you run an item in two different sales -  which sale is the item included in since it can't be on sale for 20% off and 30% off at the same time?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Have you ever actually done this? Did the system allow the item to be added to a second markdown while the first was running? I think the system would give an error message, though I can't be sure since I've never tried it.

Check out my above post. With the number of listings you have something like this should not be difficult to manage & avoid a duplicate markdown.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@supersavingsdepot-9 I looked at your items and you are fine, no duplicate sales running on any of your items.  You have incremental sales going from 20%, 25% and 33%.  

Good luck with your sale, I love using the MDM and found an uptick in my sales.  I hope the same for you!

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I've done this. Had items in one sale and tried to start another. The Markdown Manager won't allow it. The item will remain in the first sale it's put in, and will get kicked out of the second if you add it by mistake. There will be a message when you start the sale that x number of items can only be in one sale and won't be added.

Be aware you can only mess with 250 listings in one 24 hr period.

You can also clear an item from one sale and decide to add it to another. This would count as 2 towards your 250 markdown manager daily limit.

I now avoid the choose by entire category option, as there's just too many errors. Items getting missed by the program.

If you use the choose by individual item option, all your listings will show with thumbnails, and prices already marked down if you put them in an earlier sale. Easy to see what's already on sale, and a good overview of what your listing will look like to buyers.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Thank so much!  Yes, I run three or four different sales concurrently, and it does get confusing at times.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Thank you a ton!  Exactly the info I was looking for!  I really appreciate your quick response also.  It gets pretty confusing to remember what was in one sale  when scheduling three or four different sales.  Really appreciate your info and detail!

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

You are very welcome!

Also, you can't cancel a sale once it's started. If you clear ALL the listings in a sale, it all counts. The sale will still be active, but show 0 items. They still count towards your 250.

When I've had more listings up, I've hit the daily limit a few times just by fat fingering the percentages. Started the sale, noticed my mistake (prices were TOO LOW)....and cleared a bunch of listings from that particular sale. I was then borked from putting those items back on sale for 24 hours, because I didn't have any of my 250 left.

Be patient with yourself, and get it right the first time. Have fun!
Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@supersavingsdepot-9

There's a filter when you use MDM.  You can "exclude listings on sale" and it will only pull up listings that aren't currently on sale or scheduled to go on sale.  It helps a lot.

I rely on it heavily else I wouldn't know what I was doing half the time. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I believe you are are referring to mark down manager.  If an item is already in a mark down sale it can't be added to the new sale.   

I think some of the other comments thought that you'd double listed an item 😉 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 15 of 17
latest reply