cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Buyer - Should I Cancel The Transaction?

I sold something worth really little value, $9.99, less than 10 bucks with free shipping. It's a shape slip, BNWT.  The buyer hasn't paid for 3 days, but today I got a message from her  "Hey, I'm going to pay tonight but if product is used and has been worn or has any effects from being worn then I will return product and/or contact eBay for my full refund.

I don't know if I have become over-sensitive or something, this message really irritated me. 10 plus years on eBay I have never met a buyer like this. I mean she hasn't even paid while already laying out the grounds. My slip is BNWT, never worn, never used, but I doubt it will meet her expectation judging from the way she's interacting with a seller on eBay. I feel like cancelling the transaction and telling her she'd better go regular retail instead of eBay. You know, sometimes, when things starts off, will end off. I just don't think it worth the hassle for merely $10. But I am on the fence on this one, not sure what is the proper thing to do.

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

I would not cancel, but I would report a non-paying buyer ... if she still doesn't pay, terminate quickly.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

I don't know.  If I got an email like that from a buyer I would assume they must have had a really bad experience with an eBay seller.  I'd reassure her that is brand new with tags and you're confident she will pleased with it, then quickly close it off by telling her as soon as she pays you will ship.

I think you may be taking it a bit too personal but that's just me.  I can't tell you how to run your business -- however, will say if you cancel the transaction you will end up with a defect for a OOS/

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Sounds like she's gearing up for something all right I wouldn't cancel because that will impact you negatively. I don't know if ignoring her or politely responding to her "concerns" would be the better way to handle this. What kind of feedback has she left for others? Can you see if she's in the habit of returning purchases? She may have buyer's remorse and is looking for a way to get out of her commitment to pay. I'm wondering what would happen if you expressed sympathy for her concerns and offered her the chance to retract her bid... Just a thought. I don't have personal experience with this yet, so probably better wait for some responses from more experienced sellers. I do understand your frustration, though, and wish I had some real help to offer.
Belle
Message 4 of 40
latest reply

She sounds like a scammer to me over $9.99 already thinking of a refund before item paid or sent, I would be inclined to cancel the sale through ebay and block the id. If you do this they should not be able to neg you. Its not worth the hassle of dealing with someone like this as chances are she may swap your new item you send for a used item then raise an ebay case on you to get her money back. That is the vibe I get from her message. I'd just rather not deal with people like this. If you bid or buy it now on an item you agree to sellers terms and not state your own terms
Message 5 of 40
latest reply

@duncanvr wrote:
She sounds like a scammer to me over $9.99 already thinking of a refund before item paid or sent, I would be inclined to cancel the sale through ebay and block the id. If you do this they should not be able to neg you. Its not worth the hassle of dealing with someone like this as chances are she may swap your new item you send for a used item then raise an ebay case on you to get her money back. That is the vibe I get from her message. I'd just rather not deal with people like this. If you bid or buy it now on an item you agree to sellers terms and not state your own terms

You are suggesting the OP cancel the sale and up with a serious defect on their account for doing so as it is a oos?  And you are wrong: buyers CAN and DO leave feedback for buyer cancelled transactions -- and they are usually pretty ticked off about it.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 6 of 40
latest reply

I would as another poster suggested by letting her know once again that it is new with tags, but offer to cancel if she would like.  If the buyer wants to cancel you can then use "buyers request" as the reason.

Personally, with my selling volume I would cancel as soon as I got that message.

Had a guy here tell a prospective contractor that if he did not like the way a project came out that he would just sue him.  Contractor of course just walked away at that point.

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

She sounds like trouble.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

It sounds like trouble to me but certainly not worth a cancellation defect over 10 dollars.

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

I'd send a polite note back, repeating that the item is New Without Tags and asking if she would like any more information or pictures before paying, because rather than disappointing her I would happily cancel the transaction.

If she then agrees (with or without the extra info) you should be able to cancel as Buyer Request with no penalty.

Block Bidder.

Relist.

Pain in the patootie, but bullet dodged. Not every sale is worth having.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

I would reassure her that your listing is accurately described, and then state that if she's having second thoughts about the purchase, that you will be happy to accommodate her and cancel the sale. Or if not, then you will ship the item as soon as payment is rendered. 

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

What serious defect? Cancellations happen all the time I am telling the OP this person is not worth dealing with if he sends her the part she will complain and ask for her money back. Seller can cancel sale for item lost or broken. I don't see a serious defect for doing that I would rather do that than have the loss of the item and the money. I've never seen a neg from a canceled sale. Beware the original message indicates she maybe a scammer I would not send period.
Message 12 of 40
latest reply

If the op cancels the sale, the op will get a defect, too many of those gets you suspended.

And the buyer will be able to leave neg feedback.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I'd send a polite note back, repeating that the item is New Without Tags and asking if she would like any more information or pictures before paying, because rather than disappointing her I would happily cancel the transaction.

If she then agrees (with or without the extra info) you should be able to cancel as Buyer Request with no penalty.

Block Bidder.

Relist.

Pain in the patootie, but bullet dodged. Not every sale is worth having.

Try this advice...

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Since your two latest sales have been shapewear and both have had offers accepted, I'd say that your buyer is laying the groundwork for a scam.  Once they know that you are willing to deal, many will continue to negotiate.

BUT there is an implication with using catalog pics that someone wore your item for the pic.  The buyer may not know that it's a catalog picture and many sellers are using it.

If you do not have any other selling violations (and ebay doesn't tell you about some of them) then you can cancel and get the defect without damage to your account. 

If you bought it at the store on clearance you can know that you didn't wear it, but you can not know that others haven't tried it on, so you can not be sure that the buyer isn't going to find something wrong with it, it is lingerie after all and some buyers are fussy about what is going to be near their private parts.

You should explain how and where you got the item, make any reassurances you can and then ask the buyer point blank if that is ok with them and if they have any apprehensions, you will cancel the transaction for them.

And block the buyer.

(*Bleep*)
Message 15 of 40
latest reply