cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning to Sellers, check the payment is there before shipping out!

I don't know if this is something new, but a customer just bought something, and in the payment center it says "processing payment will be complete on 09/27". I only accept immediate payment, so why are they allowed to not pay 3 days?

The item is also in my to be sent list. I'm able to print a shipping label and just luckily I noticed this before I printed it. So I could have essentially sent it out before I even got paid for it. When did this change? Has anyone else seen this?

Why am I even allowed to print a label for something I haven't been paid for yet? There is no warning that the payment hasn't fully processed. So you won't know this unless you look through your payments? What if they cancelled and I already shipped the item out? What the heck?  

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Warning to Sellers, check the payment is there before shipping out!

Once the buyer has paid and eBay says ready to ship,  the payment is on the way and the buyer can't stop it or cancel it. You can safely ship it.

Think of it like this. When you pay for something in a store using your debit or credit card you walk out with the item and the store doesn't have the cleared payment in their bank account yet but they let you take the item.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Did you just switch to managed payments? There is a time delay for money to be available.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

If your Seller Hub is saying “ready to ship”, then you have been paid.  Isn’t the processing date you are seeing the Managed Payments delay? 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

You were paid immediately by the buyer and will be paid in a few days by eBay's managed payments.  You can ship now, you don't have to wait for the process to complete.  I've never read of a single incident where the money did not end up with the rightful owner.  The shipping label will default to Paypal but at the bottom of the label page you change it to be bought from the pending funds.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

-

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

This is nothing new since managed payments.

There is a few days delay/processing before your money hits your checking account. 

You are expected to ship when payment is made by the buyer.

Are you one of those who don't trust ebay and don't want to do that?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

I don't know if this is something new, but a customer just bought something, and in the payment center it says "processing payment will be complete on 09/27". I only accept immediate payment, so why are they allowed to not pay 3 days?

The item is also in my to be sent list. I'm able to print a shipping label and just luckily I noticed this before I printed it. So I could have essentially sent it out before I even got paid for it. When did this change? Has anyone else seen this?

Why am I even allowed to print a label for something I haven't been paid for yet? There is no warning that the payment hasn't fully processed. So you won't know this unless you look through your payments? What if they cancelled and I already shipped the item out? What the heck?  

@monstertoybox  this is something I noticed eBay added a while back and I actually think it is a great change as it gives more transparency and visibility to the payment processing flow for sellers in Managed Payments.

In Managed Payments, it's always been true that you get the "paid, ready to ship notice" and then the payment actually takes a few days to process and be paid out. The only difference is now eBay is making that explicitly clear on each transaction and giving us more detail about exactly how long the process takes - that's a good thing!

Some sellers are not comfortable shipping before funds are actually in their bank account - I'm not going to start a debate about that because it's been beaten to death around here already lol.  But I will say, if you are one of those sellers, just make sure you have your handling time set appropriately to allow for time for the payments to arrive in your account so you don't get late shipment defects.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Hi @monstertoybox 

You've been on Managed Payments for at least 3 months ... so you must know about that delay.

From what I understand, you wouldn't have been notified that you've been paid if the payment hadn't cleared ... so the 'processing' date must refer to when the money will be in your checking account.

The buyer can't 'cancel' on their own ... and they would be able to do a 'chargeback' even if the money had entered your account.   If you were told it's okay to ship ... then you should ship.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for this info. I guess I just haven't been paying attention. Since Ebay is so sparse with sales, I'm barely over here anymore. I have a long lead time, so normally with that, I guess, gives the payment time to fully process. I was just thinking of shipping this out early and that's when I happened to notice the "processing" message. As long as it's not the buyers taking their time paying, it's all good. Thanks again. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Once the buyer has paid and eBay says ready to ship,  the payment is on the way and the buyer can't stop it or cancel it. You can safely ship it.

Think of it like this. When you pay for something in a store using your debit or credit card you walk out with the item and the store doesn't have the cleared payment in their bank account yet but they let you take the item.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I wanted to add, I think it confused me because with this particular item I didn't receive an email notification and the notification at the top of my computer still says "awaiting payment", while my other items say "paid-ship now". That is why I think the "processing" notice caught my eye. It still is saying "awaiting payment", but the item is in my list to ship out, which is strange?

EBAY.JPG

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

When it's processing, eBay has the money, they got it from the customer. It's just a delay in it being available for you to move to your bank account. (And it's only sometimes 3 days, most of my payments clear in 24 hours, except on weekends).

C.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@monstertoybox 

>So I could have essentially sent it out before I even got paid for it.

Yes that's a problem with Mangled Payments. For years eBay preached, "Don't ship until you have received payment". Now with MP (since it's to eBay's advantage to hold your buyer's payment), they expect you to ship when eBay receives payment, not when their payout finally reaches your bank.

I handle this a little differently. I set all my items to 15 days handling time and in my descriptions I state, "Item(s) prepared for shipment on my receipt of cleared payment from eBay. Up to 15 business days handling time."

I usually ship on the same or next day eBay's payout hits my bank. This also has the advantage of keeping the scammers from running a SNAD or return request before the item ships. Been doing it this way since the beginning of this year and absolutely no buyer complaints. HTH.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@fab_finds4u 

>Once the buyer has paid and eBay says ready to ship, the payment is on the way and the buyer can't stop it or cancel it. You can safely ship it.

Nonsense. The buyer can and sometimes does (in my personal experience) request a refund and eBay does nothing to stop it even though the item hasn't shipped yet.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Unless a fraudulent buyer decides to call their credit card company and claim that charge is fraudulent. If the buyer does that, the processing funds will be denied and the seller is out of luck because he already shipped. It has happened to many sellers. The scammers are getting smarter. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply