cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY IS IT ALLOWED FOR SOME SELLERS WHILE OTHER SELLERS HAVE THEIR ACCOUNT RESTRICTED

Can someone explain to me why in the  "sports cards, baseball " or any other sports category some sellers can constantly list reprints of authentic cards while other sellers are not allowed, and if they continue will get their account restricted or banned. To see this for yourself just type in reprints and you willl see plenty of results, while there are legal legit reprints a vast majority of them are as ebay says "illegal unauthorized reprints". when I go to list a reprint it does ask original or reprint,so of course I put reprint but ebay tells me reprints are not allowed. I've spoken with ebay customer service and get no where with them.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

WHY IS IT ALLOWED FOR SOME SELLERS WHILE OTHER SELLERS HAVE THEIR ACCOUNT RESTRICTED

I have a dumb question.

Are people taking sports cards and copying them on their own without permission and selling them?

That would be against copyright laws and completely illegal, I think.

I did look out there and people are listing these reprints and listing them as reprints rather than original. I have no idea why ebay, or anyone else, allows this.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

In some cases the reprints are issued by the cards manufacturer and are legit
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@stepmea10 wrote:

How would you be able to tell the difference, since both are an exact replica of the original.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I can't speak for cards, but it is not unusual for a postal authority to reprint stamps.

Sometimes this is because more are needed for postal use that was anticipated.

Sometimes an older stamp is reissued or reprinted from the original plates for collectors.  (This is very uncommon today, but happened a lot in the 19th century and early 20th century.)

And sometimes they are counterfeited.

But.

The reprints will have differences.

The paper is different. (laid paper thick paper india paper-- it's endless) A reprinted card may be on a lighter weight card or a greenish rather than a cream coloured one.

The ink colours are different (red, red-orange, claret, dark red )

Engraved stamps may have re-entries where the plates were re-engraved after wear. On a card, this could mean the reprint was made by photographing a particular card rather than using the original plates or photos.

Different printing types (engraved, photolithography)

Different sizes. Even from the same manufacturer, the reprint may be cut larger or smaller, although the difference may be less than a millimetre.

Perforations-- this is peculiar to stamps but the teeth on a stamp may vary.

Philatelists will tell you all about it. Excellent cure for insomnia, actually.

There is a perfectly respectable sub-gentre of philately called "Fakes, Forgeries and Cinderellas".  Sometimes the phoney stamp is worth more than the original!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Vintage plastic toy soldiers are sometimes modern recast (people need BIG armies and the old stuff is hard to find). But the tradition was that beneath the base would have a marking like 'recast'. So they wouldn't be confused with the collectibles.

Maybe these cards have the word 'reprint' somewhere (and with permission from the copyright holder, I'd assume). And, maybe, you need to apply to ebay for permission to sell?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@iart wrote:

Vintage plastic toy soldiers are sometimes modern recast (people need BIG armies and the old stuff is hard to find). But the tradition was that beneath the base would have a marking like 'recast'. So they wouldn't be confused with the collectibles.

Maybe these cards have the word 'reprint' somewhere (and with permission from the copyright holder, I'd assume). And, maybe, you need to apply to ebay for permission to sell?

Yes the legit ones would have reprint, but what about the ones printed on a copy machine?  How would you tell the difference.

I collect keychain puzzles, and when I am lucky they come with the original card.

One seller is selling repros.  They look exactly like the original.  But he is honest in calling them reproductions.  Now they cannot be reprints because the company who made them I believe is long gone.  So where did they come from?

Slippery slope here.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Most copy machines don't run card stock paper
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@stepmea10

And the printing process is different.

A magnifier would show the differences between a card run on a Webb press (which I assume would be used in mass production) and an office copy machine .

A few weeks ago the grocer was showing me a counterfeit $50 bill he had confiscated earlier . It was pretty obvious since it was on paper, the holograms didn't work and it didn't smell of maple syrup. (Canadian money is *p*s*y*c*h*e*d*e*l*i*c* .)

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Manufacturers re-pop/reprint their own stuff all the time. The items your are speaking of are original manufacturer reprints as opposed to fakes. Ebay should have a criteria for it for original manfacturer reprints/re-pops. I can understand the want/need to combat fakes but the only way to really combat that is knowledge.

I don`t know why ebay will take down one without taking them all down or why they seem to rely on 1 report and not on another. It seems to me it`s another " 1 bad apple spoling the bunch" type scenario in which there are millions of bad apples spread over all catagories. It`s a shame because good sellers will suffer.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@stepmea10 wrote:

As little as most cards are worth these days I would think that would be (most cases are legit). I would think counterfeiters would counterfeit originals....not reprints of originals. I know very little about cards though.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@stepmea10 wrote:

As little as most cards are worth these days I would think that would be (most cases are legit). I would think counterfeiters would counterfeit originals....not reprints of originals. I know very little about cards though.

A few years ago I went to a garage sale where the guy had a whole box "Joe DiMaggio rookie cards" only the image on the front was Mickey Mantle.

All I could do was shake my head and walk away.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply