cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vinyl Records, Need an Opinion

Vinyls are collectibles first and foremost! I want your opinion on this, my father big classic rock guy my grandfather was huge on Classical music...that being said keep them or sell? 

Ok, If I sell.. should I sell as a lot or indi?? Lottttttta cataloguing to do if individual which means alllot of .99 - 2.99 records and is it worth shipping?? 

Only asking because a friend of a friend is interested in buying the whole lot but haven't gotten a chance to meet yet, we're talking about 200 more or less mostly Rock from the 60's early 70's.

thx

I remain tru no matter what!
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Vinyl Records, Need an Opinion

I have about 500 45s no covers and they are yard sale fodder at a quarter a piece.  I think they are all ex-jukebox.  No time to go through such a pile to find an occasional goodie.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

You might do better selling them locally as a group to a collector or reseller. It's simply not worth the headaches trying to accurately grade individual records and jackets, and then having to pay fees to sell them here. Like most folks who still buy vinyl, condition of the record is everything. I have a manual turntable and only buy albums worthy of recording on my reel to reel. I gave up buying vinyl here. Some folks idea of "mint" is in fact only one step above "toss it".

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

Stick with selling what you know!

I'm not sure why someone would think the Beatles or Michael Jackson would be big money, on the contrary, the more popular an artist the more pressings, the less desirable, unless mint sealed.

There are way too many nuances with records, even if you see a title brought decent $. Maybe it was a first or special pressing, maybe it had an error cover, maybe there was a recalled cover because of something very minor which your not aware of.  As stated before, condition is everything!! You can't tell if a record will play correctly simply looking at it, are you going to play every record you have to be sure it doesn't skip or crackle? Record collectors are very particular, those who are just looking for some vinyl to party with, not so much...but they're the folks who will hit up thrifts or garage sales and only want to spend a dollar or two.

Packaging is another nightmare. Unless your going to ship priority, they go media mail and need to be shipped to withstand heavy boxes of books being tossed on them in the same bin! Do you really want to risk someone's 20 pound books landing on your fragile 2 pound packaged record if you don't know how to pack it right!

Let the friend of friend look at them. But if your going to cherry pick, he'll likely take a pass. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Sell what you know and are confident with. It's not worth the time and effort to venture into a specialized category when you lack the skills. Not to mention, there are many buyers who stick with purchasing only from those who do specialize, which is why these sellers may be able to fetch $10 for their vinyl and a novice can't even get $5. Remember a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

Good Luck!

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

sell it overseas the buyer only has to file SNAD or INAD and wait for you to not send a $25 overseas shipping label then they keep the record and the money. 

As a Canadian, I am obligated to detest the Global Shipping Program.

But.

If you decide to sell internationally, and vinyl is one product that probably should be offered internationally, particularly to Germany /Benelux and to Japan,  then look into the Global Shipping Program.

Your responsibility for delivery ends at the GSP plant in Kentucky. And any damage in shipping is covered by the GSP, which looks on refunds as a part of doing business. They will refund without demanding a return in most instances. After all what are they supposed to do with used sweaters, disco soundtracks, broken china, or paperbacks that were sold as hardcovers?

You are not penalized for the SNAD.  (There's more to it than that and we Canadians really do have good reason to detest it.)

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I recently acquired several cases of lp’s in very good condition. While I don’t know how to grade them, they look their age but are well maintained include inserts, no scratches. They are mostly classical sets, Jewish and folk music festivals and first edition recordings but overall very eclectic. 

Two questions: Does anyone in the metro NY area specialize in this and either want to be paid to help me evaluate what is here OR make a fair offer for the lot?

OR, can anyone point me to an online resource or guide to help me look up approximate values?

everyone I look up on eBay or Amazon values at least at $25-100 usually in much worse condition than I have so I’m very hesitant to just sell to a random store by the case. 

Any ideas, suggestions even partnership offers more than welcome. While I don’t have the time to catalog properly now, I am happy to FaceTime or if you want to have me hire a kid to catalog I could do that. 

Thanks in advance For any help. And btw will post elsewhere but in case you have ideas for me, I have the same issue with six cases of bagged and boarded comic books (DC from approx 84-95-2000) mostly mint including full Crises on Infinite Earth sets. And a huge case of sports cards again mint basketball baseball hockey ect. I just am over my head. The best thing have going for me is good storage space and they are all well boxed!

thanks!!

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Not trying to be a snob but seriously don't write "vinyls" haha. Most of them aren't worth much money. Don't touch the record or slide it in and out of the paper sleeve harshly. Handle them by holding your thumb on the edge of the record and putting your fingers on the center label. Grabbing the edge with your thumb and pointer finger I see done a lot even by supposedly seasoned collectors. It builds up crud along the edge. Most old records are not in the best condition but after cleaning them (I don't recommend doing this if you don't know what you're doing) and playing them on a properly setup turntable they'll play fine most of the time.

Arthur Brown record you posted is nice. I'd be interested in that and it makes me wonder what else you have. 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply