cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victim of buyer fraud

I recently sold a BRAND NEW $6500 embroidery machine. The customer had the machine for 2-3 days then opened a NOT AS DESCRIBED case. I sent return FedEx label and received the return a week later. when I opened the box there was a very used $1500 embroidery machine inside. I immediately contacted eBay and gave them the serial number of the item I shipped and the serial number of the item that was returned. I sent pictures of the item that was sent and pictures of the item received on the return. I filed a police report. I contacted FedEx and found the return shipment weighed 15 pounds less than the original shipment. I contacted the customer to see if there was a mistake on the item the returned. They told me they did not know what I was talking about.

This is what eBay told me... There was nothing we could or would do. because the customer did not admit to the fraud in the emails. They told me I was on my own and that they would send the full refund! at the end of the case's waiting period.

I then contacted Paypal and was told they only protected buyers and that sellers are on there own. And that I should hire a lawyer and open a civil case against the buyer. MY HEAD ALMOST POPPED OFF!

So sellers, I would just like you to know you are not protected from buyer scams on expensive items... by eBay or Paypal and for you scammers buying expensive items and then returning inexpensive items...IT WORKS. And works very well! 

Need to upgrade your equipment? just buy new and send back your old wore out item. Ebay and paypal will help you. Just remember never admit to what you are doing in email! And you will get it for free!

Message 1 of 296
latest reply
295 REPLIES 295

Victim of buyer fraud

Smiley Surprised

Message 256 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

It would seem the only way to sell expensive items safely is via your own website. Then it's just you and the customer. I would imagine the money you save in FVFs would more than pay for the website hosting fees. The risk factor plummets immensely.

Message 257 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

"Seller Protection

We've got your back so you can focus on your business.

When you sell on eBay, you're protected by policies, transaction monitoring, and data systems that make eBay a safe and vibrant community.

You can sell with confidence, because our dedicated seller protection team works around the clock to enforce policies and track problems before they start."

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/get-started/seller-protection.html

Message 258 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

Since you have all your proof.
Definitely make sure you file with the Post Office, Police Dept here and there, IC3, and where ever else to file.

Since they have a business and you have the names, I would be leaving reviews and I would blog with your proof of how this company/person scammed you.

As long as you have all the facts and proof in favor of you.

I would go to the Attorney General and send them information of how eBay "scammed" you on refunding on their stupidity

Years ago, I was forced to refund an item the buyers has. I knew I was in the right and I blogged using their name and city/state. I had all the evidence and posted it. A year later, I received an email about this and it was the girl that "stole" the item and she did admit she was wearing the item. She asked for me to remove my blog and I asked her why when it's the truth. She was job hunting the a future employer saw it. LOL  I told her to pay for the item and I will update the blog that you finally made payment and after 6 months, I will take down the post. (I wanted time for the updated blog to go through the searches). She asked me how I can trust her. I told her I trust myself more than her.  I did receive payment and updated the blog and then took down the blog.

Blogging and reviews can do damage.

Message 259 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

@readabouthorses wrote:

@jester-king wrote:
if that were true they would NOT refund the money and have the buyer take the seller to court. Instead they became an accessory to theft and fraud by choice having seized money from the victim and given it to the criminal.

I agree. Ebay may not think they are involved in the actual crime but they are driving the getaway car.

The eCommerce Site is having a hayday with this one alright.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Throw me to the wolves and I'll come back leading the pack.
Message 260 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

i'm actually very confused here....

my first impression is the seller did not really know what and how this stuff works.... expensive item...and not "local pick up"--cash in hand...and buyer inspects and decide right there on the spot.

BUT ok --shipped...so the seller took on the responsibility to send this item and took chance the itenm didn't get damaged in shipping...ummmm... sounds risky a bit.

SO ok..the buyer says Not as described and so the seller sends a fedex shipping label..WHY? because the case was opened...WHAT was the not described part? no challenge to it by seller?--was it not described correctly in first place?

SO when it comes back the seller looks and call ebay saying it is not the item, correct?

AND doesn't ebay have a way and upload to challenge these things?    THERE is NO procedure for items being sent back with wrong or no item in box?  

well $6500 item, someone should have looked up the info...i know i would know it....and sorry but trying to find your answers after is never a good thing....

site map, google, community....which i always wonder why members can find this and use it, but couldn't before or find lots of information on their own.... site map does help...and its on bottom of most pages....nar community

I would be throwing up about this too..and i'm sure the seller has, But gotta do the homework and learn ...and LOCAL PICK up is best...but there are things to know/learn there too --to do it correctly.

Message 261 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

I wonder if you file a police report of theft in the seller's and in the buyers states / municipalities and then give the buyer's police station the Sewing Machine ID number. Then have those police offices go to the place of buyer's business and do a search for the machine/ ID.

Probably need a search warrant, but it would be interesting.

There was another ebay member that had expensive coins sold through eBay and basically stolen. He actually had the police go and arrest him. Too funny that this seller had all his ducks in a row and went after the buyer.

Message 262 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

Wow, I’m so sorry, Unfortunately you’re correct and I’ve been through this too, my #1 reason I quit selling on eBay, you can see by my profile sales, I left long ago. I’m unsure what you can you to recoup the money other than sue in court and push the police issues. But Get off eBay if you value your money and sanity. They are a sinking ship anyway. They hold no merchandise, they have zero risk. They only consume.
Message 263 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

Once on their radar, you will stay. Loss of sales, they are hiding your listings and no telling what else. From reading several e-commerce sites it looks like they are manipulating thousands of sellers by hiding them from view. They won’t admit it so even if you complain it won’t change.
Message 264 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

@oceanviewbeauty wrote:
Once on their radar, you will stay. Loss of sales, they are hiding your listings and no telling what else. From reading several e-commerce sites it looks like they are manipulating thousands of sellers by hiding them from view. They won’t admit it so even if you complain it won’t change.

@oceanviewbeauty

And you know this to be true / a fact because of what?  Gossip, because someone else said so or is there proof?  If Ebay won't admit it, then how do you know this to be a true fact?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 265 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

I am done with Ebay Something Seems to have Changed In the last 3 months as Far as Management and Seller Protections.

I Didn't Know you could just Buy what you needed, Then say, Item Not received Or Item Not as Described, and get to Keep The Item And Get a Refund. I need Lots of things that I Don't have The Money For, But I thought That was ''Fraud''.
Apparently Ebay and PayPal thinks Differently!
Message 266 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

@jcol22720 wrote:
I am done with Ebay Something Seems to have Changed In the last 3 months as Far as Management and Seller Protections.

I Didn't Know you could just Buy what you needed, Then say, Item Not received Or Item Not as Described, and get to Keep The Item And Get a Refund. I need Lots of things that I Don't have The Money For, But I thought That was ''Fraud''.
Apparently Ebay and PayPal thinks Differently!

That is pretty generic and without details, we can't help you to understand.

However I can with certainty commen on what you said about an INR.  If you have a buyer that files an INR and you used shipping with online tracking, which is ALWAYS what a seller should do, and that tracking shows that the item was deliver, your buyer will NOT get a refund.  Ebay will NOT force a refund.  In fact you can call Ebay and get the INR closed because per tracking it was delivered.  

As SNADs.  Those can be problematic from time to time.  But Ebay will ONLY force a refund, possibly without the item being returned in specific situations.  If you resolve the SNAD while it is in the Request stage, you can require the buyer to return the item and then you refund.  If you are trying to battle the SNAD, that usually doesn't turn out well for a seller and will give the chance for the buyer to escalate the Request to Ebay.  Then Ebay makes the decision for you.  You just need to know how to handle these situations as they arrise.  And NEVER assume or treat SNADs like they are all alike.  You need to approach them on a case by case basis.

Message 267 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

I was Referring to the Original, Posters Post.

Message 268 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

@mam98031 wrote:

@oceanviewbeauty wrote:

@oceanviewbeauty

And you know this to be true / a fact because of what?  Gossip, because someone else said so or is there proof?  If Ebay won't admit it, then how do you know this to be a true fact?

Actually ebay tells you they are doing or will do that.

Message 269 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

@monster-deals wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@oceanviewbeauty wrote:

@oceanviewbeauty

Actually ebay tells you they are doing or will do that.

That is single subject, NOT everything pertaining to a given seller.  For example:  if you get a Vero violation for posting some fragrance that they don't think you should be posting.  Even years later, if you try to post that fragrance they will again bring it down.  The same holds true for duplicate listing and the such.  Once you violate a certain policy, then they are watching you for further violations of the same policy.  They most certainly do that.

Message 270 of 296
latest reply