cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venting. Stock images should be banned from Ebay

It's extremely aggravating when Ebay sellers use stock photos.

I'm looking for a book, there are 8 available on ebay but every one has only the stock image.  The only ones that have sold have real photographs of the actual book.

I'll save the search and wait for a seller that isn't so lazy.

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Venting. Stock images should be banned from Ebay

And furthermore, I don't think I have ever listed anything with detached pages or cracked spines. And if I did, I wouldn't even call it a reading copy.

Message 76 of 88
latest reply

@castanea_sue wrote:

I find it is easier to take pictures of books with indirect light near but not too close to a window. And a gray day is best. Lights always leave reflections. Maybe not if you have one of those photography tents, and the light is muffled through cloth. I actually bought one but didn't set it up yet. With the indirect light photos, if it looks a little dark, I just adjust the brightness and contrast. It's a little bit of a pain, but worth it imho to avoid the glare.

Thank you. That's helpful.  And your pictures are showing minimal glare which is great.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 77 of 88
latest reply

@castanea_sue wrote:

@city*satins wrote:

@castanea_sue wrote:

When I sell books (even lots), I always take pictures of the spine, back, and edges. And inside pages if I have enough pictures to spare. I don't find it boring, and it's what I would want to see if I were buying the books.

And since we're on the topic of condition, I have to say that personally, I would never describe a lot of books with waterstains, detached pages, cracked spines and multiple permanent creases on the covers GOOD to VERY GOOD.

So I'm glad that you take as many pictures as you do to make up for your choices about condition.  While there's often room for disagreement, you seem to think some books are in good condition that I would describe as so poor as to barely qualify as reading copies since trying to read them risks them further disintegrating in the reader's hands.  JMHO 

Really? I only have one set of books listed right now. They belong to my sister, and they're pretty darn nice.  Did you buy something from me you didn't like?  I did a lot of reading before I tried describing used books. I do try to be honest.

I was looking at the Andre Norton lot of paperbacks. Already ended.  I don't doubt your honest  intentions.  

Message 78 of 88
latest reply

@castanea_sue wrote:

And furthermore, I don't think I have ever listed anything with detached pages or cracked spines. And if I did, I wouldn't even call it a reading copy.

notgoodtoverygood.jpg

Message 79 of 88
latest reply

Okay, I forgot about that. Here's my description. NOT you will notice, Good to Very Good.

Breed to Come, First Ace Books Edition, 1972. Ace 441-07896-150. No ISBN
Acceptable/Worn (1st 6 pages are loose, cover creased, spine worn, (see photo) printing top & bottom, a few stained pages

Message 80 of 88
latest reply

@castanea_sue wrote:

Okay, I forgot about that. Here's my description. NOT you will notice, Good to Very Good.

Breed to Come, First Ace Books Edition, 1972. Ace 441-07896-150. No ISBN
Acceptable/Worn (1st 6 pages are loose, cover creased, spine worn, (see photo) printing top & bottom, a few stained pages

You called the lot Good to very good. Everything in the lot should have fallen into that range.

Message 81 of 88
latest reply

I said "mostly" and immediately noted the exceptions, in the condition line under the title:

"Books are mostly good to very good. Breed to Come has several loose pages, although all are present. Some have yellowed pages,one or two with names, stains or other marks. Details below. Please see pictures and feel free to ask"

I'd like another opinion here. Was I out of line with this type of condition description? What should I have said? I gave a detailed description of each book in the body of the description.

BTW tried to take this out of the public arena, but am having trouble with the PM.

Message 82 of 88
latest reply

AMEN!!!! I feel when you buy something on-line, especially a pre-owned item, you need to "put it in the buyers hands" the best you can.  I sell vintage vinyl record LPs, among other things,  and try to get the best pictures possible on my listing and NEVER use stock photos.  Stock photos SHOULD be banned!!! They are useless. It's why I don't use Discogs to sell vinyl.  All they have are the most generic of photos and you can't use your own (last time I looked)

Message 83 of 88
latest reply

@castanea_sue wrote:

I said "mostly" and immediately noted the exceptions, in the condition line under the title:

"Books are mostly good to very good. Breed to Come has several loose pages, although all are present. Some have yellowed pages,one or two with names, stains or other marks. Details below. Please see pictures and feel free to ask"

I'd like another opinion here. Was I out of line with this type of condition description? What should I have said? I gave a detailed description of each book in the body of the description.

3 have cracked spines which moves them right out of GOOD. Added to their other problems, they're acceptable at best. 

Detached pages aren't considered "loose"  - and move them below ACCEPTABLE.  Since fewer than half qualify as good, the entire lot can't be considered mostly good to very good.  

If you read my message, you'll see that I advised you - and I advise anyone here who sells books, not to make allowances for age when selecting condition.  A paperback book with a cracked spine and yellowed inside cover and creases doesn't get upgraded to GOOD merely because it's from the 70s or 80s.   

Message 84 of 88
latest reply

@castanea_sue wrote:

I said "mostly" and immediately noted the exceptions, in the condition line under the title:  "Books are mostly good to very good. Breed to Come has several loose pages, although all are present. Some have yellowed pages,one or two with names, stains or other marks. Details below. Please see pictures and feel free to ask"

BTW tried to take this out of the public arena, but am having trouble with the PM.

In general you did this the right way, with detailed condition descriptions of each book in the lot, and additional photos clearly showing damage details. You just need to fine-tune your condition grading skills, which everyone needs to work on.

For a lot, the primary condition you choose for the whole lot should be the worst condition in the lot, even if there's only one book in that condition. No surprises for buyers who don't read everything.

When the condition seems to be in between, choose the lesser condition. It's better to have a buyer be pleasantly surprised by an item in somewhat better condition than they expected.

Lot books together by both author/topic/genre and condition. I think it's best not to combine too broad a condition range, no more than two (e.g., Acceptable to Good; Good to Very Good; Very Good to Like New).

Sell the poorest-condition (Acceptable) books together in a separate lot, but first research to check whether they're desirable / saleable in that condition.

Keep in mind buyers often don't read descriptions or click for more details (on a phone), so the approach in your general condition description for the lot is OK. You just needed to fine-tune the condition grades. 

Look at the criticism in a positive way. This is an opportunity to show in public that you're a seller who will handle problems and unhappy buyers with professionalism and courtesy, not defensiveness or anger.  Show others that you're willing to listen and learn, even when the constructive criticism is harsh.  Better to hear criticism on the boards than to hear it from an unhappy buyer who wants to return for refund.  Also, you're helping others by providing a practical example of what the OP and others are saying about stock photos for books, and hopefully others can learn from your example.

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 85 of 88
latest reply

Thank you, Jen, for your measured and professional input. I don't mind constructive criticism and will take into consideration what has been said here.  I guess people might not look at your details (even the second half of the first sentence - which is kind of sad in my opinion) and I definitely agree with the idea that you want people to pleasantly vs. unpleasantly surprised. Although perhaps better to avoid the element of surprise at all.

The  part I found objectionable was being suddenly, unexpectedly, and publicly called out for assigning a book with detached pages good or very good condition. Which I did not do.  I felt I needed to defend myself when I thought I was in the company of colleagues.

What I did was call some average, run of the mill used paperbacks (not the one in the picture) good. As do many, many on Ebay. Maybe that's not correct. I guess it isn't. I will try to be more conservative with any future condition gradings. And continue to use as many pictures as I can.

Message 86 of 88
latest reply

Jen is 10X kinder and more tactful than I am.  I am sorry if what I said was hurtful or embarrassed you.

Message 87 of 88
latest reply

Thank you. And thank you for your advice.

Message 88 of 88
latest reply