cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venting...Buyer opens chargeback at 121 days and I lost

Buyer files a chargeback with their CC.  The purchase was from July when I was still using PP instead of MP.

It was an "unauthorized transaction" so I thought I'd win because I'd only have to prove that I shipped it, not that it was received.

CC won against PP and I get a negative balance in PP because I can no longer prove tracking.  How convenient to suddenly notice a charge you didn't authorize from JULY

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

PayPal and most credit cards allow refunds up to 180 days, always been like that. And with "unauthorized transactions" disputes, tracking doesn't matter. They're saying someone used their cc without their permission. They'll win those every time.

My understanding was Paypal Seller protection with Unauthorized Transactions was that you had to prove you shipped it and that's all.  I have won 4 cases that way.  This one, they said I need to prove it was delivered.  Why would that even matter?

I found the "buyer" on Facebook and scrolled through pictures looking for my shoes on her.  I guess she never takes pictures that include her feet lol

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I am sorry this happened to you. These CC companies are a load of poopoo.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Some people may use their credit card to steal. However, they can only do that so many times and then they are in trouble. Thank GAWD!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

USPS has what is now called tracking extortion , rather Premium Tracking, for which you pay.......  I checked and I could still get it for a # 90 days old, but how long forward it will be offered, I don't know.......  Option is at the bottom of the option list on the tracking page.  

Your item is eligible for Premium Tracking: Extended History. Purchase the extended tracking history for your item to be sent via email upon request. Choose the length of time you would like to extend access to this tracking history and select for purchase. You can only purchase extended history once, so all orders are final and are not eligible for a refund. Based on your tracking number, your regular tracking history is available only until January 6, 2021 without this purchase. You may purchase Premium Tracking for only one tracking number at a time.

6 Months

$2.10

1 Year

$2.59

3 Years

$3.59

5 Years

$4.59

7 Years

$5.59

10 Years

$9.99

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

By any chance, did the buyer leave feedback for you?

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Hi, your statement that "TRACKING DOES NOT MATTER" and They'll win those every time" is simply FALSE. I have never lost a single Chargeback case for Unauthorized transaction and I have had around a half dozen or so over the last several years. As long as the item shows as "DELIVERED" to the Pay-Pal protected address and you can show this the SELLER WINS THE CASE, not the other way around.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Just a hint - anytime you ship an item you most likely get an email saying you paid for a label, etc. The receipt for shipping paid contains the tracking number. Keep all your shipping receipt emails in a folder for 7 months. 

( I forward all those receipts to myself altering the subject line to note the item name.  This just helps in locating that receipt later if I need to. )

Doesn't help you much this time, but you'd be ready next time!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Unfortunately you're doing a lot of work that isn't going to help you in the end.  In the OP's case, for some reason PAYPAL required tracking showing delivery.  USPS recycles the tracking numbers after 120 days or so according to what I read.  So there's roughly 60 days (TWO MONTHS) where you are in danger of losing for unauthorized use or especially INR.

It's a bitter pill to swallow but that's how the rules are stacked against us.

Joe

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Oh and I can assure you the OP's buyer knew exactly what s/he was doing.

Joe

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@picknparley wrote:

Just a hint - anytime you ship an item you most likely get an email saying you paid for a label, etc. The receipt for shipping paid contains the tracking number. Keep all your shipping receipt emails in a folder for 7 months. 

( I forward all those receipts to myself altering the subject line to note the item name.  This just helps in locating that receipt later if I need to. )

Doesn't help you much this time, but you'd be ready next time!

I just checked my emails - both the ebay one and the paypal one. Neither show the tracking #. I'm in Managed Payments, so that possibly could make a difference.

But I just thought - I could take screenshots of my paid and shipped orders. That shows both the tracking #s and the delivered dates. I can only get 5-6 per screen shot, but I think I'll try it.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

What a lot of work the scammer buyer went to just to get the price of a pair of shoes back.

Keeping the exact date that the USPS would no longer keep records for three months.

Contacting the customer service of the card.

Filling in all the forms.

Hoping the seller didn't keep the appropriate records.

You'd think honesty would be less work.

But the jails are full of guys who steal $10,000 and spend 20 years imprisoned for it.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

. I'm in Managed Payments, so that possibly could make a difference.

In cases of "unauthorized use"  PayPal only required proof of SHIPMENT to the address provided for purposes of seller protection.  That could be in the form of a physical postal receipt as well as online tracking. 

eBay managed payments requires proof of DELIVERY for same.   

Did this claim come through as a MP payment dispute even though the transaction was made PRIOR to you being enrolled in MP? 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I think you can only do the Premium Tracking extension during the first 120 days.  I think the number gets reset after 120 days.  Tracking for this items shows that the label is created and no update available.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply