cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the American flag to sell foreign goods.

I would like to see the practice of using the American flag to show that the seller is in the states should be stopped. When you look at a ad and see the flag, you immediately think the item is US  made like you normally see in any box store. It is deception at its finest in my opinion. By rights, EBAY should require a line for "Country of Origion" on every item sold other than used. It makes for a more informed buyer. It would help with buyer disappoinment when buying an item and recieving a foreign made piece of garbage that is a copy of a quality made US item.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Using the American flag to sell foreign goods.

Thank you for your reply! You are absolutely right. Lots of major brands are made out of country. The difference is that in the store I can look at the packaging to see the country of origin. I should be given the same courtesy on Ebay.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Please reread my message. I think you missed my point completely. Thanks

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for writing!  I applaud you for not forgetting the 9/11 victims. I am right there with you.  I took another look at some ads and the country of origin is not listed on many ads with new items. It should be manditory as a courtesy  to the buyer. I also realize there are exceptions such as used items like you mentioned. The only thing that I take exception is the books. While the author may be an American and the book contains the words of the American, if the book is printed in China for example, them it becomes a item and that item is a import.  Trust me, I am not confusing the location of the seller and the origin of the item. I look. Thats why I wrote what i did in the first place!

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for commenting. Your right. Your list should be included as options for the listing. I have actually seen all the statements listed on products with the exception of the child labor, which by the way should be outlawed world wide. My " Made in xxxxx" was too narrow. Thanks for adding more options!

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@kuble wrote:

The difference is that in the store I can look at the packaging to see the country of origin. I should be given the same courtesy on Ebay.

You are given that courtesy, in a way. If a seller does not list the country of origin, move on to the next one. 

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

So if all the components are made in China, Canada, India or more... but it's assembled in the US. What do you want for the country of origin?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@kuble wrote:

I would like to see the practice of using the American flag to show that the seller is in the states should be stopped. When you look at a ad and see the flag, you immediately think the item is US  made like you normally see in any box store. It is deception at its finest in my opinion. By rights, EBAY should require a line for "Country of Origion" on every item sold other than used. It makes for a more informed buyer. It would help with buyer disappoinment when buying an item and recieving a foreign made piece of garbage that is a copy of a quality made US item.

I've got a big washing machine box out in my backyard, with a big American flag on it.  The fine print says the machine was desgined in America, and the final assembly was in America.   But the parts it was assembled from were clearly made somewhere else, and the sub-assemblies were done somewhere else, and then those were imported.  For all I know, "final assembly" is putting the brand stickers on the unit.

Perhaps we should see if the White House would be willing to file VeRO complaints with eBay over this matter.  If you do that, be sure to ask them to take a quick run through the U.S. coins category while they're here...  The government isn't very good at enforcing their intellectual property rights. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Thats easy. Assembled in US with foreign materials. Ive seen it lots in the stores.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@kuble wrote:

Thats easy. Assembled in US with foreign materials. Ive seen it lots in the 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@kuble wrote:

Thats easy. Assembled in US with foreign materials. Ive seen it lots in the stores.

That's not what the op was complaining about.

considering how spread over the world our consumer goods are now, I am more concerned as to where a seller is located.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 25 of 25
latest reply