cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users can't find item because algo treats specific search terms as generic.

I have a 19th century clarinet for auction right now.  This is the second or third time I've relisted it. I've identified it, along with the maker, as a "5 key boxwood clarinet." The clarinet is made from boxwood, which is a specific kind of wood that was only used in the 19th century before it was superceded by African Blackwood. I have had several other clarinets for sale during this time, and some very average ones were getting 40... 100... 250 views while my beautiful boxwood antique is getting 3... 8... 17 views. Puzzeled as to why this was happening, I put in a search for "boxwood clarinet." And the results are.... every kind of wooden clarinet. The ebay algo for some reason is equating "boxwood" with simply "wood."

As a result I am losing valuable engagement with a rare item that could end up costing me hundreds of dollars in bids. I am extremely upset about this. Can ebay please do something about this, now?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Ebay has had a problem with showing the accurate number of view for a while now.  So views don't always equal sales.  Over the years I have had many items sell without having one single view on the listing.

Maybe it is time to try a Fixed Price listing for this item.  Determine a fair price for it and then post it with a Fixed Price.  See how that works out for you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

what I see are clarinet listings containing the word “box”, not all clarinets. So even a box of clarinet reeds shows up. 

Using quotes around “boxwood” fixes that problem, but most buyers aren’t aware of that workaround.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

That makes sense, but that's not how it should be. That's not how the English language works. If you're searching for a firetruck, you don't want a fire! This is currently an instrinsic problem with the ebay platform. Is there any way to give them direct feedback and attempt to ask for a resolution?

Message 4 of 4
latest reply