cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptable case closed, buyer refunded, buyer kept item

hey everyone

So to make a long story short, i sold a item on here. The buyer picked it up, it was a large item. Days later the buyer messages the item works but not to his specifications. He takes the item apart, send pictures, then wants to return the item. Ebay sends me a email to provide shipping label. Item weighs 2000+lbs, he took states away. A week later ebay does not look at facts, closes case, and refunds buyer, is able to keep item and ebay charges a fee of $123 for sale on top of all. This is very unacceptable. 

Thank

Message 1 of 102
latest reply
101 REPLIES 101

hlmacdon
Scout

Ebay for business on Facebook. It sounds like this could qualify as a buyer physically modified item.

Either way Ebay messed the hell up on this one and just points out how useless their outsourced customer service is and how they are stealing from sellers by automating their case responses to save money on labor costs. Slimey as it gets.

Message 2 of 102
latest reply

@princo53 wrote:

hey everyone

So to make a long story short, i sold a item on here. The buyer picked it up, it was a large item. Days later the buyer messages the item works but not to his specifications. He takes the item apart, send pictures, then wants to return the item. Ebay sends me a email to provide shipping label. Item weighs 2000+lbs, he took states away. A week later ebay does not look at facts, closes case, and refunds buyer, is able to keep item and ebay charges a fee of $123 for sale on top of all. This is very unacceptable. 

Thank

He took it apart and sent photos, so his buyer protection should have been void on the spot. Do not let eBay tell you otherwise. You are not responsible for a single dollar of that refund, eBay already threw the money at him, so now it's their obligation to return the money to you. It's black and white, open and shut.

MAKE them follow their own policies.

Message 3 of 102
latest reply

I have tried , dozens of times, they will not budge, so i contacted Payapl, they said they would have closed it right after, like you stated, it was taken apart. I have recorded calls with over a dozen managers from ebay, they lied to be several times on the phone. Paypal told me to file ebay with the FBI or FTC or Take legal action. Ebay did not want to hear any of this, they did not care, they stated the case ruling, i have a email says ruling stands, case closed, so i am now looking at more options. Thank you so much for all the replies.
Message 4 of 102
latest reply

He took it apart and sent photos, so his buyer protection should have been void on the spot.

Not anymore.  eBay now allows SNAD claims on items that are 'picked up'.  ebay does not want to take any monetary hit.   

eBay does not understand why sellers no longer want to use this venue.  What the rules "say" and what actually happens are no longer in sync. 

Message 5 of 102
latest reply

Did you respond to the case when it was opened?

Since you didn't provide return shipping, buyer had Ebay step in and when they do, it hardly ever turns out good for the seller.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 102
latest reply

yes, many times, i called, they gave me excuses, the case is being reviewed , awaiting buyers response. Thats how i caught them in a lie over the phone, in my account i took a screen shot, said awaiting buyers response. On the phone, one manager says waiting for proof the item is not working. Then a few days later another manager says ebay does not look for proof.

Message 7 of 102
latest reply

I know ebay makes up the rules as they go along, have personally experienced it over the years.

My question would be, the item was local P/U, there was no shipping involved, why would you be asked to provide a return label? and were you asked to provide one?

If so that would be one of the most ludicrous things I have heard, but honestly with ebay wouldn't be shocked I guess.

Message 8 of 102
latest reply

I had a CSR tell me there is ebay "one time use" clause, in this case the buyer placed a new item on their auto, modified and did not like it, wanted to return. 

The CSR told me they can do that as long as they return in the same or like condition even after they stated in messages it was now screwed up, they simply had to provide a tracking # they sent me something and they were home free.

This was about a year or so ago.  

Message 9 of 102
latest reply

Thats the question paypal asked, the buyer was at our warehouse for 20 mins, we loaded it on a flatbed, with our forklift, he strapped it down, signed our pickup receipt, waved and left. When he stated he took the item apart, and sent us in ebay the pictures, that should have been the end of it, it wasnt.....

Message 10 of 102
latest reply

My question would be did you allow them to return it?, or did you fight the return of the item? If you were willing to accept the return then, there would have been the chance to get that item back. Huge responsibility for the buyer since this was a HUGE HEAVY ITEM. How in the world can you ship back a 2,000 lb item? It would have had to be transported back to you from wherever it was and I wonder if the “postage” if you could call it that, more like freight train rental, would have been worth it. Just WOW!

Message 11 of 102
latest reply

@princo53 wrote:

When he stated he took the item apart, and sent us in ebay the pictures, that should have been the end of it, it wasnt.....

If they admitted they took the item apart, Ebay should have taken your side.

But, I think Ebay is so desperate to get buyers, they'll screw sellers any way they can to keep the few buyers they have.

Have a great day.
Message 12 of 102
latest reply

Yes, local pickup, does that mean that if returned, buyer needs to drive it back to the seller? Just wondering?

Message 13 of 102
latest reply

Exactly, WOW, yes at first, we were considering allowing the return, UNTIL the buyer shows he took the item apart, he sent pictures in ebay, in the case, showing it was now disassembled. Yes, he took it 4 states away, it is 8ft tall, 2 ft wide, 2000 lbs, would have costed a lot, freight, yes, exactly. Postage is the email we got from ebay while the case was open, as if no one at ebay even read the case. The email stated to provide the buyer a return shipping label. So i was forced to call, a dozen times and explain this. Then i was lied to by many ebay managers.

Message 14 of 102
latest reply

Yes , exactly, i agree completely, they are desperate for buyers, they are scr*wing their sellers. There is pictures, the buyer sent to me in ebay, and it shows the item was taken apart, Its beyond ridiculous... I have spent over a month, being lied to by ebay, loss of fund, loss of item, and on top of all charged a fee for the sale.

Message 15 of 102
latest reply