cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS tracking not updating on eBay site?

I know there usually is a delay when checking tracking on ebay vs USPS, but I have multiple shipments with no update since 5-22, yet the USPS site has in some cases 4 more scans.

One item was delivered and tracking on ebay is still behind. Another item is showing "label created by seller" but it has multiple scans on the USPS site back for a day and a half.

Same thing with my purchases, no updates since 5-22, yet USPS has scan information on their site up to and including this am (5-24)

Is it just me? Can anyone confirm they are seeing the same thing?

I did not want to post in technical issues until I had some more info.

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Same here...small box USPS 1st class, shipped 5/15 from Florida going to Colorado...last update "in transit" on the 18th. Will be going to my local PO today...sometimes they show a whole lot more than shown to the consumer.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I just took a look at several packages I have en route, and they're all in synch with the USPS page, with scans as recent as the early hours of this morning.

I wouldn't worry about it; they should get caught up eventually. Don't contact your buyer with your concerns as they probably aren't following the tracking all that closely anyway (it's only been a couple of days so far), but if they ask you about it, you can point them to the USPS page for a more accurate update than what eBay is showing.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

I just took a look at several packages I have en route, and they're all in synch with the USPS page, with scans as recent as the early hours of this morning.

I wouldn't worry about it; they should get caught up eventually. Don't contact your buyer with your concerns as they probably aren't following the tracking all that closely anyway (it's only been a couple of days so far), but if they ask you about it, you can point them to the USPS page for a more accurate update than what eBay is showing.

I was not going to contact any buyers, I was just wondering how the system handles "late deliveries" on our seller metric if the item has been actually delivered yet eBay shows it still in process.

I guess I will just wait and see if it gets updated.

Thanks for the info!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I was not going to contact any buyers, I was just wondering how the system handles "late deliveries" on our seller metric if the item has been actually delivered yet eBay shows it still in process.

Good question, but if I remember right, there are several factors that can go into a late-delivery decision, especially if tracking itself isn't available. If the buyer says that it arrived on time, then it arrived on time.

Also, whenever the tracking data does eventually make its way over to the eBay side, its timestamps will be when the scans occurred, not when eBay received them, so again it should right itself. (Worst-case scenario: if the data shows up really late and the buyer doesn't mark the shipment as on time in their feedback form, you might have to get CS to fix it, and I have no idea how easy that will be, but I wouldn't worry about that this early in the situation. It's been only two days so far.)

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I know there usually is a delay when checking tracking on ebay vs USPS, but I have multiple shipments with no update since 5-22, yet the USPS site has in some cases 4 more scans. roadking - op - unquote -------------------------------------------------------------

I've been noticing the same thing since yesterday when I checked  . I usually call for carrier pick up  meaning the post office picks up my outgoing orders  at my door  while they're out  in our neighborhood .  I shipped out  a package with a tracking number on the 20th  and the tracking still  only says '' lable created ''.  It  shows no progress at all . Then I shipped out another package 2 days later  and the tracking still   just says package picked up by USPS . I know our carrier usually scans the packages when  he arrives . I can hear the little beep his scanner makes when I'm home .  So I don't get it either .  Perhaps there's a bug with their tracking system  ? tulips 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

I've been noticing the same thing since yesterday when I checked  . I usually call for carrier pick up  meaning the post office picks up my outgoing orders  at my door  while they're out  in our neighborhood .  I shipped out  a package with a tracking number on the 20th  and the tracking still  only says '' lable created ''.  It  shows no progress at all . Then I shipped out another package 2 days later  and the tracking still   just says package picked up by USPS . I know our carrier usually scans the packages when  he arrives . I can hear the little beep his scanner makes when I'm home .  So I don't get it either .  Perhaps there's a bug with their tracking system  ? tulips

They do sometimes have regional outages. I remember one in particular a few years ago that knocked out all their systems to many towns in the northwest Chicago suburbs for over a day. There were scattered towns in the area that were fed by a different regional center that was still operating, so if you had something important that had to be recorded as going out that day, they pointed you to the nearest town that was still on-line. (I remember watching the clerk trying to draw a map on a piece of paper for some guy who'd have to go 15 miles to make his dropoff.) Fortunately they haven't had anything that bad since then.

Anyway, I think we might be conflating two issues here. The OP says that their USPS tracking is fine; it's the download from USPS to eBay that's not working. Your description sounds like your local tracking data from your PO isn't getting uploaded to the network properly. I would hope it'll show up eventually, especially since you heard the scanner beep.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

brian@ebay tyler@ebay

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I never rely on ebay tracking.  It is pretty much always incorrect,

And for sellers like me who use online signature confirmation that can be a problem for buyers who try to have someone in the home to sign for it.

I always tell my buyers to go on the actual website for more accurate information.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

It's not only USPS, I've noticed it with Fedex too.

I always track on the carriers website and bookmark the tracking link for quick reference.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

Good question, but if I remember right, there are several factors that can go into a late-delivery decision, especially if tracking itself isn't available. If the buyer says that it arrived on time, then it arrived on time.

Also, whenever the tracking data does eventually make its way over to the eBay side, its timestamps will be when the scans occurred, not when eBay received them, so again it should right itself. (Worst-case scenario: if the data shows up really late and the buyer doesn't mark the shipment as on time in their feedback form, you might have to get CS to fix it, and I have no idea how easy that will be, but I wouldn't worry about that this early in the situation. It's been only two days so far.)

It now looks like all are updated, shipments outbound and purchases all are showing the correct up to date tracking. 2 days worth.

In the past I have seen a few update delays but for 7 items, (purchases and items I shipped ) was unusual.

I always use the USPS site, but it was the "seller has created a label" for 2 days that I figured buyers would wonder what I was doing.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

It's not just you. I had a pkg show it was picked up this morning, now ebay shows only label created! USPS show both the pick up and it having gone through a distribution center.

Considering ebay rates seller metrics on initial scans to meet handling time, they best get this fixed. It's not just behind, it's reverting backwards according to my pkg tracking!
Message 12 of 12
latest reply