cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS scans Out For Delivery then Your Package Delivery Has Been Delayed (anyone seen this before)

Sent item to buyer via USPS Priority Mail.  USPS tracking scans show normal activity: Arrival At Unit then Out For Delivery, but then Your Package Delivery Has Been Delayed.  This is a new one for me as I have never seen this particular scan before.  Has anyone had any first hand experience with a package being scanned Out For Delivery then a little while later scanned Your Package Delivery Has Been Delayed.  It has been a few days since this last scan with no new updates.  I'm getting worried as I did a search on the internet about this scan and from the other posts it doesn't look very good.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

USPS scans Out For Delivery then Your Package Delivery Has Been Delayed (anyone seen this before)

I think you're fine. It can mean a lot of things. Like it's Friday and there's no OT. Or it was on the wrong truck, or there was something in the way of delivery, or lots of reasons. They will attempt to deliver again, and it doesn't hurt to sign up for text or email notifications using the tracking number on the USPS home website.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I have one of those also. Item went to California. Four weeks ago. Still says your delivery has been delayed. I thought that maybe the buyer went on vaction and put their mail on hold.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I don't think I would have given it 4 weeks, maybe one at most. I have a package coming from Oakland, CA, that just got scanned in Memphis? Um, I'm in Colorado.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

O wait, I read that backwards. They probably got it on the redeliver, but it was handed over without a scan or something like that. IF the buyer doesn't ask where it is, I'd assume they received it.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Yes I have had it happen and despite what others say about it showing up soon IT IS A PROBLEM !

I had that about 4-5 weeks ago and the package has still not shown up. I filed a lost package report with the post office and 4 weeks later I got a note saying that they were still looking for it and they would let me know.

My buyer, knowing the package was coming and knowing it could not fit in her mail box, watched for and met the carrier at the curb. They thoroughly searched the truck and could not find it. Then she visited the post office and they could not find it either.

I asked as to how they could scan it and not actually have it. It was explained that they work off of "scan sheets" which tell them what SHOULD be there, but it is no guarantee that it actually IS there.

And sad to say this is not the first time.

Have your buyer jump on their carrier and their post ofice management.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I had it happen once when they missorted the package to the wrong post office and sent it out for delivery in the wrong town.  They caught the error, sent it back to the sort center, and it was delivered the next day.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

Have your buyer jump on their carrier and their post ofice management.

Why?????????

It could easily be delivered tomorrow, it could have already been delivered.

While I understand why sellers (me included) sometimes follow tracking to see what "normal" delivery looks like and to see examples of how things can interupt normal delivery I DO NOT understand why anyone wants to makes an issue of something that isn't especially when that involves contacting buyers or filing complaints for no reason.

I'ver seen this type of scan a few times and in every case the delivery was either made in the next day or two or no further scans were ever done. Since the buyers involved never contacted me it certainly means it was delivered.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Exactly.  Don't poke the sleeping bear.  The buyer will most certainly let you know if there is a problem.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

To add to that, I had one package that was NEVER scanned as "Delivered."  But the buyer left me positive feedback for the item, so they obviously received it.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I thought you were in Hawaii!

Rocky Mountain High!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

I had it happen once when they missorted the package to the wrong post office and sent it out for delivery in the wrong town.  They caught the error, sent it back to the sort center, and it was delivered the next day.

That has happened to me several times.  It gets sent to one of the surrounding towns.  Then sent back to a hub, then back to the correct PO, then out to delivery.  Takes a little side trip.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

To add to that, I had one package that was NEVER scanned as "Delivered."  But the buyer left me positive feedback for the item, so they obviously received it.

I've had this happen a few times as well.  Leaving feedback is a priority asap there in case the seller is concerned about no delivery showing yet.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I have had that happen several times with Amazon packages. I am not sure what goes wrong, but I have gotten the package the next day on all but one order. That order made it to the Cabot post office and then disappeared. Never was delivered and I fought with Amazon for a week for a refund. Amazon is trying to do too many things at once, their packers are horrible and the 2 day Prime delivery is a joke most times. I guess it was good while it lasted.

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404
'They won't get it all, and they won't have it long.'

'You gotta see those creeps crawl...' Echo & the Bunnymen-"Crocodiles'
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I know this may not be very helpful since it was a different delivery service, but I too had one of these strange things with a package I was waiting for recently.

I was following the package, and it said it was expected to be delivered "by end of day" on (I think May 8th). Anyway, I waited all day and early evening for it, finally I checked the tracking again at about 8 PM and saw the message you see there.

I talked to someone from FedEx with their little online chat thing and gave them the tracking number, and while they never would elaborated on exactly what may have happened, the assured me the package had been turned over to the USPS for final delivery and that I would receive it in a few days.  Sure enough, I got it a few days later.

I still wasn't happy mind you, this took about 2 weeks to arrive and was a lot later than the estimate, and then what I received was faulty on top of that! Smiley Frustrated

Message 15 of 17
latest reply