cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Damaged Item Claim Process

I have received a message from a buyer letting me know that their item was received damaged. The buyer says the box is damaged and the plates are shattered.

I am receiving conflicting information on how to deal with this. Does the buyer need to send the product back to me? An Ebay representative told me to have the buyer return the item by selecting "Arrived Damged" from the drop down menu and that Ebay will send the buyer a shpping label. Others are telling me that pictures will suffice.

Does anybody have some advice on how to handle this and what the process is for filing a claims with USPS?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

You received incorrect information from ebay CS. If the plates are returned to you, it voids your insurance claim. 

Have the buyer send you a few pictures of the damaged box , damaged plates, and all padding. The damaged box will probably mean your claim will be granted. Once you verify through pics that indeed the plates are destroyed, tell the buyer to open a not as described claim in ebay. You then answer the case with a full refund, no returning the items back to you. (Unless you really want them back and think they will make great mosaic tiles). 

Then you file online at USPS with the pictures. You must supply the link to the ebay sale for value purposes. 

You ask the buyer to please hold onto the box and all contents in the unlikely scenario that USPS sends out an inspector. 

Then you wait...and wait...and wait...

Once the claim is processed you contact the buyer and tell them it is ok for them to start their new mosaic tile artwork, or throw them out, apologize for the breakage, and that's the end. 

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

This makes more sense than what I was told.
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
It's actually very easy to file the USPS online claim, and they are handled very quickly. File it via Customer Service/File A Claim.

It's important you provide the proper proof of value with price paid. If you don't submit exactly what USPS wants they will auto deny, you get a chance to appeal providing other proof. Believe it or not the ebay sale page will NOT suffice. You need to supply the actual paypal payment page showing completed transaction, price paid, identifying the item, buyer, seller and tracking. An ebay page doesn't reveal this info, simply that an item sold and not the legal names of buyer/seller. Get a screen shot of the paypal transaction page and submit it along with the damage photos.

I went through a damage claim in March, this is how I'm able to share the info. Once I provided the correct proof of value, it was approved in 2 days! USPS badly damaged the box. (Probably drop kicked). If it says denied, you have to wait for their letter in the mail explaining why, pretty silly they won't provide the info online. You will have the decision online usually in less than 48 hours. I then had my check a few days later.
Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up!

This is my first damaged claim. I have had buyers message me to tell me their is something wrong with product and ask for a partial refund. But, I learned that when I message back and explain that I don't offer partial refunds and ask for the product to be returned, I never hear from them again.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Unless you bought insurance when you shipped the item, your claim against the USPS will likely go nowhere. However, if you did, here's how I handled it when a cookie jar was busted in transit:

First thing I did was refund the buyer. It was obvious to me what had happened, and it took the pressure off both of us as far as forcing her to open a claim against me. Incidentally, she left positive feedback, which I wasn't expecting, but it was nice she did, considering it wasn't my fault (I wrapped that thing like a mummy, and the USPS STILL managed to destroy it).

Then I asked the buyer to send me pictures of the open box with the busted cookie jar still inside. She took lots of pictures, which I saved to my computer. I then went to the USPS website to file a claim. I uploaded the pictures, including screenshots of the auction and what the item sold for (this is proof of value), then added my tracking number, which was also my insurance confirmation. Two weeks later, I got a check, minus the shipping costs (irritating they didn't pay for that, as well, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms).

Couldn't have gone smoother.

Good luck to you.
Message 6 of 34
latest reply

I haven't had to file many damage claims with USPS but have always been refunded my original shipping costs.  I ship over the counter so I have always included a copy of my post office receipt showing what my shipping cost was.

I haven't had to file one for a long time~~the last one was from before USPS offered the free insurance on priority packages.  I was refunded the value of the item and my shipping cost but not the amount I paid for insurance.

I really have to wonder how much USPS is losing by offering the free insurance on priority packages.  I also have to wonder when they will realize they are really losing money & when will they decide to make us pay for insurance on packages we want insured again?  UPS & Fed Ex are really tight with their money and refuse a LOT of damage claims but it appears USPS is a lot more lenient in settling insurance claims.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

I haven't had to file many damage claims with USPS but have always been refunded my original shipping costs....I haven't had to file one for a long time~~the last one was from before USPS offered the free insurance on priority packages.....

The policy has changed.  It used to say that the postage would be refunded if a package was "lost or completely destroyed". Now the reference to compensation for postage is only under the section for lost packages (5.4):

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#ep1097274

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:
 ... I haven't had to file one for a long time~~the last one was from before USPS offered the free insurance on priority packages....  UPS & Fed Ex are really tight with their money and refuse a LOT of damage claims but it appears USPS is a lot more lenient in settling insurance claims.

How do you know that, since you haven't filed a claim in years?

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

I read the boards.  I see MANY complaints from sellers who are denied compensation on insurance claims through UPS & Fed Ex but rarely see a claim having been denied through USPS.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet

I wanted to complement your post.  You gave an excellent and accurate overview of the process.

The only thing I would add is that USPS has a reputation for long waits to settle insurance claims that I have not experienced ... and, so, it is not necessarily true.  For example, with my most recent claim (about 4 weeks ago), I had a check in hand within 72 hours.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Great job and dealing with the false damage claim partial refund scammerWoman Very Happy

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@kattinsanity wrote:

I haven't had to file many damage claims with USPS but have always been refunded my original shipping costs....I haven't had to file one for a long time~~the last one was from before USPS offered the free insurance on priority packages.....

The policy has changed.  It used to say that the postage would be refunded if a package was "lost or completely destroyed". Now the reference to compensation for postage is only under the section for lost packages (5.4):

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#ep1097274

I would appeal  the postage costs.....with a copy to US reps/senators if they didn't refund it.....raise some stink even if it might seem useless.  Totally unacceptable they keep postage for an item they destroy....... 

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Exactly - we PAY them for safe delivery.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

@ellis61 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet

I wanted to complement your post.  You gave an excellent and accurate overview of the process.

The only thing I would add is that USPS has a reputation for long waits to settle insurance claims that I have not experienced ... and, so, it is not necessarily true.  For example, with my most recent claim (about 4 weeks ago), I had a check in hand within 72 hours.

I'm very glad to hear that because I am filing a claim today after not having filed one for several years! 

Message 15 of 34
latest reply