cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS 1st Class Shipping Max. 16 oz. now only 15 oz.?

Up until today, I had always know the maximum allowable weight for USPS 1st Class on Ebay to be 16 oz. Today I tried to input the weight at 16 oz. and it would not let me (only showed Media Mail). I then put in 15 oz. and it accepted it. Did they lower the maximum allowable weight for 1st Class Mail on Ebay?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Are you talking about printing a label or making a listing?   I printed a label this week for 1st class by picking 16oz and it printed the correct 15.9oz on my label.

When I create a listing I always input 13oz for anything to cover calculated 13oz to 15.9oz. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I am talking about printing a label.
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

The max allowable weight is 15.9 ounces, not 16.  Sixteen rolls up to one pound.

On the listing form, you have to put 15 ounces, you can't enter fractional weight.

When you actually print the label from Ebay, enter 16 ounces, and FCM will show up correctly.

Just noticed that shows one pound. When I entered 16 ounces I had to enter package dimensions, and click update. When I did that it changed it to one pound, but still calculates at the FCM price.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I use the classic print label version.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

That's not how it used to be. I previously would enter 1 lb. and 0 oz. and it would work. Now you can no longer do that.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

It has always been a bit confusing to me when sellers reference first class as being up to (including) 16 oz...I have never been able to choose over 15.9  It will always turn it into 1 lb otherwise (Ebay labels). Strange that it would work for some and not others..thinking I have no doubt that my post office would charge me the lb rate difference otherwise.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@goldrushfinds wrote:
That's not how it used to be. I previously would enter 1 lb. and 0 oz. and it would work. Now you can no longer do that.

If you enter one pound, you get Priority/Parcel rates, at least that's how it was last time I used Ebay shipping. I don't have too many packages in the 15-15.9 ounce range, though.

I usually use stamps.com and just enter 15.9 oz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

If you print your shipping label from Paypal you can still print your 1st class shipping label at 16 oz but the label will say 15.9 oz. We been using Paypal shipping labels instead of Ebays for a few years now ever since we had a customer open a  unauthorized Payment thru Paypal while Ebays awaiting shipment page still said ok to ship. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Another thumb's up for the classic print label version.  I am always given the option of choosing 16oz there.  It is the one page on Ebay where I have rarely experienced any glitches.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I use the classic label flow, and the last 15.99 oz FCP label I created had 16oz entered in the label form, and printed it as 15.9 oz on the label. In the listing it was entered as "1lb or less" 0lb 16oz

I never tried specifying one of those as 1 lb 0oz in the listing or on the label flow, but I think doing that may be breaking the label logic.

Interestingly, when I go to the change dimensions option on the label page, it shows it as 1 lb 0oz there, but back on the label creation page it shows 16oz.

No idea what you may be doing, but I can't make it do what you are saying.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I see the 1 pound option is NOW available for first class for all items.. is it safe to use it (instead of comitting to the 15.9??) TY

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I've had no problems with first class packages slightly over 16oz due to inserting a packing slip and taping the package AFTER weighing it. It may have been 16.5 or 17 oz. Obviously I wouldn't risk sending it at a pound and a half, but slightly over shouldn't be an issue, at least it hasn't been for me.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

443BCF7B-7083-4238-9E7D-003852A93048.jpeg

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

You haven’t been caught yet.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply