cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNFAIR! Ebay adds buyer's sales tax to final value fee, then charges sellers more!

UNFAIR!  Ebay is taking more in seller final value fees by adding in the buyer's sales tax to the sale total, then charging the seller fees on the higher amount.  This stinks!  Sellers have nothing to do with the buyer's sales tax.  Sellers should be charges fees based on their sale price without the sales tax.  Greedy, ebay - not nice.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: UNFAIR! Ebay adds buyer's sales tax to final value fee, then charges sellers more!

I don't have so much beef with the few extra cents it usually adds to my fees, but what I DON'T like about it is how, once it rolled out, it stopped showing a dollar amount next to the Promoted rate option in List view.  In other words, because the bot has no idea where a buyer may live, it can't calculate the exact amount that the promotion will cost, just based on your chosen percentage rate alone.  Could I do on a calculator myself?  Sure, because I'm not spending a ridiculous amount of time filling in all the required stuff when I create listings already!  
Edit: I just realized the OP is talking about final value fees, not promotions fees.  But jeez they've been charging FVF's on sales tax for ages, how did they not know?

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

Re: UNFAIR! Ebay adds buyer's sales tax to final value fee, then charges sellers more!

Yeah I noticed as well and contacted them complaining and asked why are they taking money out of my pocket based on how much the buyers sales tax is?? (Money that I don’t even touch) This penalizes us more for selling to buyers who live in higher sales tax states. Discriminatory much??? They don’t give a crap, gives em more money. LOL.  For all the sellers defending this, if you don’t mind donating more money to eBay, fine, but they should at least make it easier to track for profit purposes and give us a flat rate on sale price pre tax. Sales tax calculations should not figure into my profit if I don’t even touch the sales tax.   If they want to charge us a 14% fee (which is about what it comes out to when adding on the 12.9% of sales tax) then just charge us that based on our final sale price, not make some extra complicated misleading fee percentage that scales differently depending on where you sell to.  I think the issue is they don’t really want you realizing the true fee percentage based on sales price, and most people won’t do the math but it does come out to ~14% fee on sale price for selling to my state. They take that much out of our pockets but 14% makes them “look worse” so they come up with a misleading way to make it look like they are charging us lower fees by charging us fees on the sales tax as well. It’s not like we can cheat the system by collecting and setting our own sales tax to pad profits. That’s the main issue for me other than the fact that 14% fees are misleadingly written in their TOS as 12.9% and are the highest in the market…

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

Yes, it's a way for eBay to jack up the fee percentage and milk every seller for every penny, even for pennies they never receive!    Unethical billing practices are nothing new on eBay.  

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 34 of 34
latest reply