cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two new buyer accounts, same address, no reply

A few weeks ago, I sold an item to a new buyer account, which marked their first feedback ever on their account. I shipped the item out, everything seemed fine. However, upon reaching the buyer's location, it was returned to me due to an "insufficient address" issue as indicated by USPS. Despite numerous attempts to communicate through eBay since the tracking showed the address issue, I received no response from the buyer. Consequently, I provided a partial refund last night upon receiving the item back.

In light of this situation, I'm wondering if it's appropriate for me to use the phone number provided by the buyer to contact them directly.

Adding to the complexity, I relisted the item since it was returned to me in the same condition as when I sent it out. Surprisingly, this morning, I woke up to another purchase of the same item, going to the same address and recipient name. However, this time it's from a fresh account, with the only feedback being the default message my system sends out when a purchase is made.

The only notable difference between the two accounts is that the phone number provided on the second account ends with ..46, while on the first account, it ended with ..42. Additionally, the address on the second account seems to have corrected what I initially believed to be the issue, namely the absence of an apartment number.

I'm beginning to worry that this individual might be attempting to scam me by seeking a refund and then potentially reversing the charge on their credit card. Am I overreacting, or is it common for a buyer to create a new account rather than simply fixing the address issue on the first account?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I would have added the person to my BBL when I received the first package back although that would have not prevented the current situation. It is difficult to say what the buyer is thinking or doing. If they are a new buyer maybe they didn't know how to change their address and simply created a new account and maybe they made a type when they put the phone number in. 

Depending on what the item is and it's value you need to assess your risk and make a decision. If you feel the risk is to high simply cancel the order using problem with the buyers address which is valid since you do not know exactly why the first shipment did not go through. If you think the risk is low enough then simply send the item and see if it makes it there. 

As a seller there is always a risk of being scammed on eBay about the best you can do is try to mitigate that risk but you cannot eliminate it completely. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

I would have added the person to my BBL when I received the first package back although that would have not prevented the current situation. It is difficult to say what the buyer is thinking or doing. If they are a new buyer maybe they didn't know how to change their address and simply created a new account and maybe they made a type when they put the phone number in. 

Depending on what the item is and it's value you need to assess your risk and make a decision. If you feel the risk is to high simply cancel the order using problem with the buyers address which is valid since you do not know exactly why the first shipment did not go through. If you think the risk is low enough then simply send the item and see if it makes it there. 

As a seller there is always a risk of being scammed on eBay about the best you can do is try to mitigate that risk but you cannot eliminate it completely. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply