cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Locate Photo Album Sold on Ebay Naval Aviator WWII & Family Photos Lt. Commander Melhorn

Hello  - I'm trying to track down a family photo album that was sold on Ebay on

June 13, 2017.  It was a photo album featuring the photos of Lt. Commander Charles Melhorn - US Naval Aviator.  The album was sold for $129.50  under the title:

PHOTOGRAPH ALBUM U.S. NAVAL AVIATOR USS PHILIPPINE SEA

original photograph Album Naval Aviator Lt. Commander Charles Melhorn. Family photographs mixed in with military. Highlights Caterpillar club membership card. Invitation and photographs Aly Khan & Rita Hayworth

This album originally belonged to my uncle Charles Melhorn and I would love to buy it from the person who purchased it on Ebay.  This item is VERY meaningful to me. Unfortunately, I do not have the name of the seller.  Hoping someone can help me track this down.  

Thank you very much!

Pamela

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Trying to Locate Photo Album Sold on Ebay Naval Aviator WWII & Family Photos Lt. Commander Melhorn

Since the seller already sold it, contacting him is moot.

And if I were him, I would not give you the contact information of the buyer as that is not ethical imo.

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

You never know, that may come back up on Ebay for sale. You could also do a google search that would encompass all sites. I hope you find it.

But sellers don't generally give out any information on a buyer. That would be against the privacy policy, and the fact that ids are masked.
Message 3 of 51
latest reply

Take a little time to figure out where it went. Do you know the zip code of the town it was originally in where the seller purchased it to sell on ebay?

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

Also depends on how it was sold to begin with working from that angle might be faster unless it was in a garage sale...

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

For all you know it could have been sold and resold since then.

Yes keep an eye out for it to see if it is relisted.

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

For all you know it could have been sold and resold since then.

Yes keep an eye out for it to see if it is relisted.

Or even worse, broken up and the photos/entries sold individually.

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

Worthpoint has an entry for that auction - I don't have an account so can't see the details.  Maybe someone else who does know can tell you if it's worth it to get a free trial membership to see if it gives the ID of the seller, and not just the selling price.

As for the seller giving you any information about the buyer that is unlikely, as others have stated.  You may find the seller would be willing to contact the buyer (if they still have it on their records) on your behalf. 

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

If this is a family member photo album and you know it was sold on Ebay why do you not know who sold it and/or how do you know it ws sold on Ebay ?

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

Instead of being negative, mentioning rules from Ebay, yada, yada, yada......try to be a human being once in your life and try to help. 

My dad, a telegraphist in Guatemala sent a condolence letter to JFK for the death of one of his kids. He got a reply from him, with his own signature and he was pleased that somebody from that country, in the rural areas had the opportunity to approach the strongest man on earth at that time. 

When he told me of such important event, I asked him where he kept that letter. "somewhere, I think it got lost many years ago" was his answer. He, even though he never went to school, taught himself in the art of poetry and became an owner of his own newspaper, so he had hundreds upon hundreds of books. We browsed through them big time but the letter was never found. Smiley Mad

So, to the OP, sorry for that loss, I wish I could help you. 

Perhaps addressing your concern to Ebay could gain some consideration?

Good luck!

latest reply

@escuintla

The person gave their opinion so why would you start your "helpful" reply with negativism about negativism.

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

If this is a family member photo album and you know it was sold on Ebay why do you not know who sold it and/or how do you know it ws sold on Ebay ?

Things sometimes get separated from family.  Sometimes legitimately, sometimes not.

It may have been stolen and sold.  It may have been sold by one family member who didn't know or didn't care that others may have wanted it.  It may have been sold if an estate was ordered to be liquidated.

She may have found out it was sold through the same google search and worthpoint listing that I saw.  or another similar search.

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@escuintla

The person gave their opinion so why would you start your "helpful" reply with negativism about negativism.

I wouldn't be citing Ebay rules, this may happen because of Ebay, yada, yada, yada. 

Let's try to help the OP, and if you can't, just keep going. 

I tried to offer a solution.  That's all. 

latest reply

Putting your story out there on Facebook is your best bet. It's amazing how fast an interesting story can take off and many people are more than happy to help. Someone will know someone who knows someone that's heard about the album, 6 degrees of separation and all.

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

It is not a matter of being negative.  Is a matter of running a business here, and sellers do not giveup their buyers' names.  Buyers' names are scrambled now for a reason so ebay is not going to give out this information either.

We are just being honest with this OP.

Message 15 of 51
latest reply