cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble uploading video to listing

I've been in a chat with a customer service rep for over 30 minutes right now, but I decided I'd try here as well.

The video I'm trying to upload keeps getting rejected, the message just states the following with no further info: "Your video wasn't posted. Here's why: Your video was not approved. You can learn more about our policies here." I tried uploading it twice, then I reached out to customer service.

The video is showing that an Xbox console is in working condition, I turn it on, put a game in it, run through the menus and then load the game and stop the video after the "press start" button comes up. That's all.

The CS rep has had me upload the same video twice now. It got rejected with the same message and now she has me trying on Chrome (was on Firefox). I'm still sitting here on the 4th attempt. I'm sure the reviewer is getting tired of me, but how can I fix the issue(s) if they won't tell me what, specifically, is wrong?

To clarify, the video is mp4 format, 13.5 MB, 720p, 35 seconds. There are no links or anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Update: The 4th attempt is still under review, the CS rep created a ticket and closed the chat...so I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

My only guess would be that showing the game load violates: "Infringing content – Video, images or audio content that is used without permission from the respective rights owner is not allowed", but how else can I show that the console will run games / the disc drive works?

If that is the case, wouldn't even showing a still image of the game (which is much less effective of proving working condition) also be a violation?

I was really excited to start using videos in my listings, but this is kind of a bummer, especially because I have already taken the time to make & edit like 10 videos of console, console related items, or consumer electronics to show they are working, but they all include a game, movie or music being played.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Ok, got rejected again, same message, no clarification.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@else-bay Just to be clear: the video is uploading to the listing form, correct? But then the uploaded video is "under review" and it is rejected some time after the review begins?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Yeah. I've trimmed the video game part out and am trying again without it. We'll see what happens this time.

It's just really frustrating that they're not giving me a specific reason why it is getting rejected. I could most likely fix the issue if they just told me what it was.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiquesLooks like it went through this time, my listing is active now and the new trimmed video is on there. So I guess my guess was correct, still kind of annoying they wouldn't let me know right out what the problem was, I could've saved about an hour's time with the CS rep chat.

Also a bit annoying is that if this is the case, I guess I won't be able to show VHS tapes/DVDs playing to show that the players I have are working, or play music on a radio system to do the same. I also have some used game controllers I'd like to show all the buttons working, but those require me to show the game running. Wonder if I cut the sound will that be okay...probably not.

Thanks for replying, I finally saw the other topic you were commenting on about the clunkiness of eBay's video upload system. It still has some way to go.

I'll try with some other videos and see what happens.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiquesI just created a listing with me testing a controller and it let it go through with no problem on the first submit. Now I really don't know why the first vid was rejected.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Hey,

Did your issue resolve?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Issue is still pending i Think otherwise the thread  mark as solved.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@else-bay  Sorry, I couldn't get back to you last night. I've had one or two videos rejected during the review stage. I was pretty sure there was no reason for their rejection, and so I did what you did: I resubmitted.

BUT...I also changed the file name of the video before submitting, because I figured it was possible that , having rejected File ABC once, ebay would reject it again...but ebay would see File DEF as a different file, and might approve it. The renamed files were both approved.

I do NOT know if renaming the files actually helped, or if they would have ben approved anyway. But it wouldn't hurt to try that next time.

To its credit, at least in my recent experience, the review process is MUCH faster than it had been....something many of us had been requesting. However, they still have not provided a useful method of dealing with rejections---sending a seller to the rules page is not very helpful. We've been asking them to provide an actual REASON with the rejection.  

Whether they ever will or not, I don't know. Best advice I have is: in the future, if you feel pretty confident that the video should have been approved, try resubmitting it with a new file name. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@hut_5210  Just a quick heads up: Many threads are resolved that are NOT marked solved. Others are marked solved incorrectly. Don't rely on that if you need to know the answer to a thread's question.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

So I listed all my consoles, and accessories last night. 3/4 console videos got rejected, but they were accepted after I trimmed the game loading screens out of the videos. The other console video was accepted without issue.

The 3 game controller & the 1 accessory videos were also accepted without issue, even though the controller videos showed me playing a game & the accessory showed game loading screens, etc.

IDK why sometimes showing the game(s) was okay and why sometimes they got denied. The only other things in common that the rejected videos had were: they were EA Sports games I was using to show them working, and two, they had "black" loading screens that had like legal/warning info or whatever.

IDK if there are people looking at each of these videos or if it is an algorithm, but either way it's somewhat inconsistent. Like I said, eBay's video system still has a way to go, which is funny considering it is 2022.

I've got a several consumer electronics left to post that rely on showing CDs/DVDs/VHS tapes playing in the video. I'll try posting them today & I'll let you know how it goes.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques @cap8995 @hut_5210 

The issue is still on going, I'm going to test several other videos today (hopefully) since I've got several consumer electronics items to list that rely on playing CDs/DVDs/VHS tapes (or even the radio) to show they are working.

I think this will probably end up being an "unsolved" issue even if I figure out how to get all my videos posted because eBay's video system will still be inconsistent & nitpicky on some videos but not on others. I'll post again after I've tried submitting those other videos. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques @hut_5210 @cap8995 

Ok so this will probably my last update.

I finally was able to getting around to trying to upload these videos, and it seems to still be the same. If there is some sort of loading screen, or some sort of "title" screen (e.g. the Paramount logo), the video gets rejected. Oddly enough, I was able to upload videos of movies playing without the other stuff and that was just fine. I was also able to upload videos of music (CD/Radio/off a plugged in device) and those went through.

It's obvious eBay's video system is still clunky, which is a shame seeing as were in the year 2022. I'm sure it works fine for other things, I've listed videos of toys, music boxes, etc. with no trouble, but these last few categories I've been listing in have been burdensome.

Good luck to you all.

*edit* Oh, I will say that the approvals/rejects come through pretty quickly, but I had to constantly refresh, or save as draft and go back into the listing for it to finally show an update. It wasn't just popping up while I was working on the listing, so that was a bit annoying as well.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

My video is within the paremeters set by ebay  as MP4 and no larger than 150mb So I tried loading mine into ebay add. it is MP4 and 142MB, and it was rejected. Why Ebay?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply