cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking Number

I sell Military Sholder Patches, I Pay $ 1.75 for the Patch I charge $5.50 E-Bay collects Sales Tax and E-Bay charges about $1.00 Final Fee. $5.50, minus $1.75, minus 1.00 I give FREE SHIPPING cost $.66. Leaving me a balance of about $2.00. In order to add a TRACKING NUMBER it would cost about $4.00 Leaving me -$2.00

How do I do it?

I have an idea If I could sell  4 patch to a customer that would makeup for the Tracking Number Cost. But how do I add it to my ad.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Tracking Number

Rarely can you make any profit selling items under $25.  If you only want to sell 4 patches (you need to create a new listing showing 4 patches for $22).   The other option would be to charge for shipping or raise your prices to cover your costs.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Since the price is so low in the first place you can just put them in an envelope with a stamp. Ship them and mark them as paid. Most buyers are honest so you have about 99 out of 100 would be OK with that. The savings would make up for the one person who says they did not get their patch. There is no other way to make any money on Ebay selling things for under $10-20 dollar range.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

A sale calculation based on your info: (5.50 sale - 1.50 cost - 7% avg sales tax - no shipping calculated)

eBay Fee: $1.08

Fee percentage: 13.24% + $0.30

Sales Tax: $0.39-Charged to buyer only

Total Profit: $2.92

Profit margin: 53.09% of sold price

I am not sure of the options you have for shipping for tracking (maybe that envelope with tracking  they offer?)

but...lets setup a listing (variations)  or lots of (3) that allows the customers to buy more than 1

assuming the buyer gets "3" items.....

eBay Fee: $2.64

Fee percentage: 13.25% + $0.30

Sales Tax: $1.16-Charged to buyer only

Total Profit: $9.36

Profit margin: 56.73% of sold price

lots of room for tracked shipping .....

just thinking out loud for you........

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I started out charging the full price including the cost of Tracking number, the sales went to none. I ship today USPS First Class with no Tracking Number. Maybe 1 out of 10 indicate did not receive and it cost me.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Is there a way to add the lots of 3 to my current listing?  I have over 1300 patches listed and I can see allowing a customer to buy 3 but I can't see how to add it to my listing?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I have sold dozens and dozens of military patches and just mailed them out in an envelope without tracking and have only lost one envelope in over 20 years.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@tomtabco_4u wrote:

I sell Military Sholder Patches, I Pay $ 1.75 for the Patch I charge $5.50 E-Bay collects Sales Tax and E-Bay charges about $1.00 Final Fee. $5.50, minus $1.75, minus 1.00 I give FREE SHIPPING cost $.66. Leaving me a balance of about $2.00. In order to add a TRACKING NUMBER it would cost about $4.00 Leaving me -$2.00

How do I do it?

The solution is simple - raise your prices. If sales go to zero, then you made a poor choice of what to sell.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@tomtabco_4u wrote:

Maybe 1 out of 10 indicate did not receive and it cost me.

Sorry for your bad luck. I have only had maybe 3 people say they did not get their item without tracking in years. In fact, the first 15 years of Ebay there never was tracking. Patch people must be hard core thieves. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply