cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total selling fees much higher than 10% on several listings.

I've been a casual seller for over decade. The total selling fees I am paying on recent sales are averaging 14% and I can't figure out why.  Yes, I realize ebay is handling payments instead of Paypal these days. No, I don't incur any listing fees. Yes, I realize there is a 30 cent per transaction fee. But I'm not coming out anywhere near 10% in total fees as I've been told to expect.  Example #1: item sold for $75 including shipping. No listing fee, so final value fee should be $7.50 + $.30 but amount ebay deducted was $10.08 which is 13.4%.  Example 2: item sold for $45 including shipping.  No listing fee, so final value fee should be $4.50 + $.30 but amount ebay deducted was $6.28 which is 14.0%.  I have a dozen sales like this and I can't be the only one noticing the new math problem.  Can anyone explain this to me?  No luck reaching ebay all week.  I'm not listing any items until this gets cleared up.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Managed Payments? 

12.35%

Some categories are 14.35% 

If you are now in managed payments did you read the breakdown of fee structure? 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ten percent is the old ebay fee, and then you had paypal fees on top of that.  Managed payments have a new combined fee.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It's no longer 10%. And don't forget that PayPal took 2.9%, too. Check the Simplified Fees for MP sellers. I'm sure you're aware that the FVFs are charged on the total sale... item + s&h + sales tax, then add the .30 transaction fee.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

if you came up with 14 percent fees you are closer than most estimators.

when selling to California they can add 10% taxes and then you pay the percentage after its all jacked up with taxes.

take price + shipping and add 10 percent to it then take out 12.35% and also 30 cents

the fees look much better with MP when selling to states with no taxes

keep on ebayin

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Instead of paying a transaction fee to PayPal, that money is now going to eBay's payment processor, and eBay is collecting it. So the fee collected by eBay is 12.35% plus 30 cents, compared to the total of 12.9% plus 30 cents when PayPal was the processor. You're now paying FVF on sales tax, which means sometimes you'll pay slightly more than you used to, and sometimes slightly less, depending on the sales tax rate of the buyer's state.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@withinreachco wrote:

Example #1: item sold for $75 including shipping. No listing fee, so final value fee should be $7.50 + $.30 but amount ebay deducted was $10.08 which is 13.4%.  Example 2: item sold for $45 including shipping.  No listing fee, so final value fee should be $4.50 + $.30 but amount ebay deducted was $6.28 which is 14.0%.

Example 1:

[$75 (item including shipping) + X (sales tax)] x 12.35% +.30 = $10.08

So sales tax must have equaled about $4.19? 

Example 2:

[$45 (item cost including sales tax) + X (sales tax)] x 12.35$ + $.30 = $6.28

So sales tax must have equaled about $3.43?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@withinreachco wrote:

But I'm not coming out anywhere near 10% in total fees as I've been told to expect.  

That is because whoever told you to expect fees under Managed Pyments to be 10% was lying to you. 

If you even took a casual glance at the Managed Payments fee schedule on the eBay site you would know that. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply