cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated Sellers Beware - Shipping Changes Loom

I would like to voice my opinion on one change that this program has brought about that may have been poorly thought out. eBay is no longer valuing the SCAN form for USPS shipments, even if that form is scanned and all those shipments are dropped off, that is no longer considered the first scan and the item is not considered shipped in eBay's system UNTIL it receives another tracking update. For some of us, that is the next sorting center and may not receive a scan until the next day. This is extremely problematic, as eBay encourages using a SCAN form, however silently removed it's purpose from the site. It is now up to each person to force USPS to scan the packages, and do not rely on a SCAN form any longer. I can only speak for my local office, which is usually great about handling my shipments, but the postal employees are not happy about scanning each package now daily, I can only hope they continue to treat our packages well. If you haven't downloaded and examined your Late Shipment Rate report, then I encourage you to download the report because it gives you more data and check out each entry. I have found that nearly all of our late delivery shipments received an acceptance scan at the drop-off post office, then a scan at another state's post office and still considered as having firstly been scanned by the later. This change is brand new, I wish eBay would let sellers know these finer details, these changes impact lives.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Top Rated Sellers Beware - Shipping Changes Loom

I am sorry but that isn't the information I was told. I looked at your links and that is what I have done. My numbers were always above 95% and I verified that with the rep. 

I was pointed to this link which is the same one you have in your message.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html

I was told the acceptance scan is the post office scanning the item not the tracking number being uploaded. The package has to be scanned by the post office during your handling time. So if you have 1 day handling and someone purchases Monday the post office has to scan it before 11:59:59pm Tuesday.

Almost all of my late handling was the below situation. An item was bought on Saturday or Sunday and I bought the label and uploaded it on Monday before 5pm. The item was brought to the post office and scanned Tuesday before noon. My package was considered late. I have 1 day handling so I had always thought and was never given a late mark before if something was bought on the weekend and I shipped on Tuesday. I was told the one day handling is that it has to be shipped and scanned by the post office on Monday.

I talked to a representayive on a team that handles the seller dashboard. I was told the wording acceptance scan means scanned by the post office not tracking number uploaded. When you upload a tracking number it says pre-shipment and that doesn't count for anything in the metric.

When you say that the tracking number has to be uploaded within handling time and then scanned at sometime during the shipping process that is not what I was told, emailed, or pointed to on the page we both provided to be linked. 

I looked more into it and I find what you are stating in many places but I received late tracking. I will call again to ask the questions.

This is the part on that page they directed me to and I was on the phone when they explained it.

Shipments will be considered late only when:

• Tracking shows item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time, or there's no confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery, or
  • Buyer confirms item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time or there's no delivery confirmation by the estimated delivery date
Message 31 of 39
latest reply

"Almost all of my late handling was the below situation. An item was bought on Saturday or Sunday and I bought the label and uploaded it on Monday before 5pm. The item was brought to the post office and scanned Tuesday before noon. My package was considered late."

Orders received on Friday, Saturday or Sunday must be scanned before midnite on MONDAY!

Why are you waiting until Tuesday?

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

A follow up to your comment. I have been in discussion with ebay and I was told the acceptance scan is not uploading the tracking number it is the post office accepting it within your handling time.

I have 20 items with the same issue since June 8th that are marked as late shipment that aren't according to the below policy. However if they are going by the post office scanning the item during the handling time then yes all of these are late.

For example this is one of my items that I have a negative mark for a late shipment. I am attaching a picture of the details. I just sent another message to eBay with the below information plus a screenshot of the order. I uploaded the label the day the order was placed and brought the item to the post office on Friday. They didn't scan it until Monday.20170913_094749.jpg

Below are what your standards state. It specifically says that you must upload a shipment tracking number to My eBay within your promised handling time and to have it scanned but that does not need to occur during your handling time to meet the requirement. I have not looked at all of my late tracking items but I did look into the order on June 8th. The picture of the transaction is below (in this response it is above). The order was placed on the 8th and the tracking number was uploaded on the 8th. The item was also delivered within 4 business days from when the item was bought.

Please review all of my transactions to see how many of these have the same issue.

To become a Top Rated Seller, your eBay account must have been active for at least 90 days. You must also meet certain sales, tracking, and performance standards requirements.

Sales requirements

Tracking requirements

For at least 95% of transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months, you must:

Upload a shipment tracking number to My eBay within your promised handling time, and

Have the shipping label scanned by the carrier. (Note: The carrier scan does not need to occur within your stated handling time to meet this requirement.)

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

You are typing too many words that just confuse you more and make my head hurt.

It looks like you are not aware that there are TWO separate shipping metrics.

The "Late Shipment Rate" metric requires you upload tracking and get a scan within you handling time to provide automatic protection against the carrier delivering late or the buyer saying it was late when leaving feedback.

Then there is the TRS "Tracking Uploaded and Validated" metric that applies to your TRS status and must remain above 95%. What you quoted is correct - tracking must be uploaded within your handling time, but validation scan by carrier (any scan at all) can occur anytime.

I will repeat what has already been said here numerous times - 1 day handling means a Fri, Sat, or Sunday purchase must have tracking uploaded by midnight Monday, and must be shipped and scanned by midnight Monday to satisfy the "Late Shipping Metric" automatic defense criteria.*

*You can ignore that and hope the buyer doesn't ding you or the carrier doesn't send it on a grand tour, and get you a late shipment ding, but I personally think it's better to consider the Late Shipping requirements an absolute deadline and get the items shipped asap to not leave things to chance.

Determining On-time Shipping

You'll be recognized for on-time shipping if tracking shows your item was either
shipped within the stated handling time or delivered by the estimated delivery date.
If there's no tracking available, we'll check with your buyer. If your buyer confirms
the item was delivered on time, you'll be recognized for on-time shipping.
Shipments will be considered late only when: Tracking shows item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and
there's no acceptance scan within your handling time, or there's no
confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery, or
Buyer confirms item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and
there's no acceptance scan within your handling time or there's no
delivery confirmation by the estimated delivery date
Message 34 of 39
latest reply

Since when did eBay's process make common sense?  Just another example of ebay sticking it to their sellers.  Here's another example:  I've been told numerous times by "the Phillippines" that eBay is doing away with the "Top Rated Seller" statis which means you will lose the USPS Priority Mail insurance bump up of $100......so my automatic insurance is now only $50.  Thank you eBay!  I'm sure they researched this change with their top sellers and was told we don't need the extra $50 anymore.  Thank you for valueing our opinion.

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

I have the same problem. I was a top rated seller for a couple of years. Last year they took 1% of the top rated seller discount from all Top Rated Sellers. I just lost another 1% discount because they wrongfully took away my Top Rated Seller Status. They claim my last shipment rate is 4.54 percent (The threshold is 3% or below), and that I have had 20 late shipments this year. The problem I have with that; is I know for a fact that I packaged, printed and shipped all but 1 of those 20 packages within 1 business day of payment, and a lot of times, the same day. I also know for a fact that those 19 packages were picked up by the Post Office by the next business day.  My seller dashboard shows that tracking was uploaded on time, 100% of the time, and that 0 buyers had complained of recieving the package late. So why was my TRS taken from me you ask? Because eBay says I have a late shipment rate??? I have been to the post office and spoken to the Postmaster there, who assured me she would have my packages scanned at pickup. Unfortunatley that information isnt always being uploaded to the Post Office main computer that day, so it is showing my items first scan the next day (and in some cases, up to a week later). That alone, in eBays opinion, constitutes late shipment. I've argued with several eBay employees over this and their answer is always the same; That I need to take all of my packages to the post office every day, wait in line, and have them scanned, to prevent this. What??? I've even had a couple of packages that I shipped internationally, that never recieved a first scan until they got to the destination country. It's ridiculous. The way I look at it is this; I fullfilled my responsibilities, in order to qualify for that discount, and eBay has unfairly taken it away from me, through no fault of my own.  So now I have decided it's just not worth it. They can steal another 1% from me.  In response, I just changed my handling times from 1 day to 10 days.  Why should I worry about timely shipping if there is nothing in it for me?  

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

In the past sellers printed the label, uploaded tracking but then didn't actually ship the item for days. To prevent that eBay started requiring a scan within your handling time OR a scan showing delivery within the estimated delivery date. If you get one of those scans at the right time, the package is not considered late.  I realize that some packages are not scanned immediately but eBay really has no other way of knowing if the package was shipped when the seller said it was.

As far as having a 10 day handling time...imo that is like cutting off your nose to spite your face because some buyers do not want to wait that long so they will go to a seller with a faster estimated delivery date...eta to California on your lisitngs right now is January 8-12. I can't imagine you are going to wait 10 days to mail a purchase so even if you aren't going to worry about TRS, it would still make sense to have a shorter handling time so that buyers don't see such a long estimated delivery date.

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

I have been selling for almost 20 years. I am a powerseller. I have 100% feedback...over 9,000 feedback . I WAS a Top Rated Seller as well, for YEARS....until TODAY.

EBAY finally got to "ME"...and demoted me. I've actually been waiting for it, only a matter of time!!!!! these days.....because of the way that Ebay operates anymore....it's obvious that Ebay could care LESS about it's sellers., and the Powers that Be know nothing about what it takes to make and take a sale successfully to completion, in the REAL WORLD...

I lost my standing because of this 'late shipment rate' thing??!!! I mail our items within 'hours' of lisiting completion, same way  we always have.. Report says that 8 out of 220 packages didn't arrive at their destination on the date that Ebay decided they should. The weather across the country has been terrible!!!! Doesn't that get taken into consideration!!!  We all have NO CONTROL over the Post Office OR the WEATHER.

Frankly, the only thing that makes me feel better about this, is, that I'm not alone., and as I said...I was expecting 'our number' to be up at some point. RIDICULOUS  CRITERIA FOR TOP RATED SELLERS!!!!!

We have no unsatisfied customers!! No one wrote looking for their item, therefore. how LATE could they have been?????  Customer dissatisfaction should be the deciding factor when Top Rated Seller standing is taken away??!!., but,..... what do I know?!!. I'm just another struggling hard working seller trying to make some money to live.  

I know Ebay is trying to compete with Amazon. Amazon screws the little guy too. Ebay is not even in the same league as Amazon, ...which is evident by these impossible rules they are constantly imposing on us...rules that we have  no way to make consistantly happen, as there IS a 'real world' out there, that we have no control over.  Ebay has become like school over the years. They give you 'Gold Stars' and then take them away.

When Ebay first started....if you did something really wrong as a seller...ie: not ship item, misrepresent, steal, mistreat buyers, something 'really' wrong...you got Suspended. (They took your stuff down, just gone!.) After awhile (perhaps a week or two) they'd let you get back in the game again. If you ended up with three suspensions......you were OUT of the game, period. Couldn't sell on Ebay anymore. That proteced the buyers.

Remember....the infractions at that time....very extremely reasonable. You'd be out of business, brick and motar, as well, if you broke Ebay rules. Honest sellers  would never do these things.

Past that...Ebay left us alone and did not butt in, in any other way.  No extra pressure or chaos from them.

Question: If I deliver a package to the Post Office within HOURS of auction ending, I'd like Ebay to tell me, what more I have to do to get it where it has to go, on the date they specify in order  to not not get demoted.....ie" get my pre-school 'Gold Stars' take away.

If they have the answer to that....I would really really like to know.

At the end of the day...we USED to make really good money online, when Ebay was run right, and not on Crack. ....Sigh...Those days are over. If  being run right were still the case, I'd be crushed by this demotion.

Today I'm just disappointed and frustrated, along with everyone else. Definitely takes away any motivation to comply with Ebay's many many many ever changing, expecting us to bend over backwards, demands. I for one, have enough work to do.

I don't expect Ebay will change anything about this **bleep**, as it might  be helpful..they obviously could care less.,  don't know, what they don't know....and don't want to find out, what they don't know either.

(How many HSN/QVC packages do not arrive on time!! How late are their packages? They make billions....).

Rant is over too, lol. Good luck to everyone.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

I'm pretty sure the new eBay TRS rules for on time shipment aka "Late Shipment Rate" are less than 3% or 97% and up have to be updated "on time".

Message 39 of 39
latest reply