cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated Sellers Beware - Shipping Changes Loom

I would like to voice my opinion on one change that this program has brought about that may have been poorly thought out. eBay is no longer valuing the SCAN form for USPS shipments, even if that form is scanned and all those shipments are dropped off, that is no longer considered the first scan and the item is not considered shipped in eBay's system UNTIL it receives another tracking update. For some of us, that is the next sorting center and may not receive a scan until the next day. This is extremely problematic, as eBay encourages using a SCAN form, however silently removed it's purpose from the site. It is now up to each person to force USPS to scan the packages, and do not rely on a SCAN form any longer. I can only speak for my local office, which is usually great about handling my shipments, but the postal employees are not happy about scanning each package now daily, I can only hope they continue to treat our packages well. If you haven't downloaded and examined your Late Shipment Rate report, then I encourage you to download the report because it gives you more data and check out each entry. I have found that nearly all of our late delivery shipments received an acceptance scan at the drop-off post office, then a scan at another state's post office and still considered as having firstly been scanned by the later. This change is brand new, I wish eBay would let sellers know these finer details, these changes impact lives.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Top Rated Sellers Beware - Shipping Changes Loom

Thank you, I've moved this thread over to that board with more specifics since I believe it relates to that program's changes to eBay.
Message 16 of 39
latest reply

Well, there are multiple ways that the first scan is displayed if you look up the tracking #'s on ebay. Not sure how it shows if you use a scan form.

For instance(from the past 2-3 weeks) - same PO, same people.

Acceptance

USPS in possession of item

ACCEPT OR PICKUP

I use a scan form every day and watch the postal worker scan it, then hand it back to me.  I do not have a single late shipment recorded at all.  I think you are mistaken on why you are getting these late shipment issues. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

This record is an example from our data, so you can see what I'm describing:

Check the tracking number on USPS website.

Region - United States
Transaction date and time - Jul 31, 2017 13:59:37 PDT
Payment cleared date and time - Jul 31, 2017 13:59:38 PDT
Tracking indicates late delivery - 1
Buyer indicates late delivery -
Transaction counted? - YES
Stated handling time - 0
Handle by date - Aug 01, 2017 23:59:59
First scan date - Aug 04, 2017 13:28:00
Handling time missed? - YES
Handling time missed by (Hours) 61.47
Latest tracking number - 9400109699938658152055
Tracking upload date - Aug 01, 2017 10:31:26 PDT
Max estimated delivery date - Aug 04, 2017 23:59:59
Delivery scan date - Aug 05, 2017 13:43:00
Carrier used - USPS
Carrier service used - USPS First Class Package
Item ID Category - Radio Control & Control Line

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

@usaquadcopter wrote:

Stated handling time - 0
Carrier used - USPS

Okaaayyy... I'm seeing two issues here. The first (and I think the key failure here) is that they missed the proof of first handling (by the USPS), which was an entry reading "Item Accepted/Picked Up for Initial Processing" at 4:52 p.m. on August 1st, and therefore their Handling Time Missed entry is incorrect. They're showing the First Scan Date as Aug 04, 2017 13:28:00 when in fact it was Aug 01, 2017 16:52:00 (the Acceptance scan). 

The next issue is that "Tracking indicates late delivery," which unfortunately it does: its "Maximum estimated delivery date" was August 4th, and its actual "Delivery scan date" was August 5th. That should have been cancelled out by the earlier scan within the initial handling time... except that they missed it... and thus you got penalized.

My suspicion here is this originates from the system's inability to recognize an Acceptance scan, possibly due to changes of wording in the log entries by the USPS. The tracking in this case shows the Acceptance as "Item Accepted/Picked Up for Initial Processing," which is a verbose bit of wordy glop that I can't say I've ever seen before, and I would bet dollars to donuts that the eBay programming is trying to look for key phrases and not finding them. I think that instead of a clean bit of database code or an Acceptance status flag being looked at someplace, the eBay side of things is actually trying to read the English in the tracking report, and failing to recognize it or understand what it's looking at.

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

Exactly, and up until a week ago it would have been exempt from defect since it received an acceptance scan when we dropped it off with the SCAN form. At this point, an acceptance scan doesn't even show up in eBay's shipping system whatsoever, but does show up on USPS, which leads me to believe it's intentional and a brand new kind of problem for sellers to prevent.

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

This isn't a glitch. This is what I received today from eBay because my shipping rate went from top rated seller to above standard.

The standards for shipping is not just uploading the tracking number it is the item being scanned by the post office

This is exactly what eBay sent to me.
How to Calculate Handling Time
Your handling time is measured in business days – weekends and major holidays don’t count. Remember, the handling-time clock begins once you receive payment from the buyer and ends when your shipping carrier scans the package. Be sure to check your shipping carrier’s business hours before drop-off, so your package can be scanned before 11:59:59 am PT that day. If the package isn't scanned before that time then you are late.

This part wasn’t sent to me but this is what I was told.
So just uploading the tracking number by midnight doesn’t count as meeting your handling time. Also you’ll be recognized for on-time shipping if tracking shows your item was either shipped within stated handling time or delivered by the estimated delivery date. If you can't show that your package was shipped within stated handling time and your package isn't delivered by the estimated delivery date that also lowers your rating. It doesn't matter if the post office shows that it sat somewhere for a couple days. If you ship priority mail and it says 3 days shipping if the delivered date isn't until the 4th or 5th day you get a negative mark in your dashboard. I was told by an eBay rep that maybe I should start sending FedEx or UPS. If I don't think it will get their in that alotted time then I should expedite the shipping.

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

You should be concerned because my rating was fine for years and now within a month I have numerous instances like yours. They have changed how they are determining handling and shipping plus they throw in delivery.

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@usaquadcopter wrote:

Stated handling time - 0
Carrier used - USPS

Okaaayyy... I'm seeing two issues here. The first (and I think the key failure here) is that they missed the proof of first handling (by the USPS), which was an entry reading "Item Accepted/Picked Up for Initial Processing" at 4:52 p.m. on August 1st, and therefore their Handling Time Missed entry is incorrect. They're showing the First Scan Date as Aug 04, 2017 13:28:00 when in fact it was Aug 01, 2017 16:52:00 (the Acceptance scan). 

The next issue is that "Tracking indicates late delivery," which unfortunately it does: its "Maximum estimated delivery date" was August 4th, and its actual "Delivery scan date" was August 5th. That should have been cancelled out by the earlier scan within the initial handling time... except that they missed it... and thus you got penalized.

My suspicion here is this originates from the system's inability to recognize an Acceptance scan, possibly due to changes of wording in the log entries by the USPS. The tracking in this case shows the Acceptance as "Item Accepted/Picked Up for Initial Processing," which is a verbose bit of wordy glop that I can't say I've ever seen before, and I would bet dollars to donuts that the eBay programming is trying to look for key phrases and not finding them. I think that instead of a clean bit of database code or an Acceptance status flag being looked at someplace, the eBay side of things is actually trying to read the English in the tracking report, and failing to recognize it or understand what it's looking at.

Hate to add to an older thread, but you're probably right. Of course, when retrieving the delivery status for a single or daily batch, a corresponding code is also passed back that equates to the verbiage, but seeing how ebay codes, they probably ignore that.

@gerberdecoyrigs wrote:

This isn't a glitch. This is what I received today from eBay because my shipping rate went from top rated seller to above standard.

The standards for shipping is not just uploading the tracking number it is the item being scanned by the post office

This is exactly what eBay sent to me.
How to Calculate Handling Time
Your handling time is measured in business days – weekends and major holidays don’t count. Remember, the handling-time clock begins once you receive payment from the buyer and ends when your shipping carrier scans the package. Be sure to check your shipping carrier’s business hours before drop-off, so your package can be scanned before 11:59:59 am PT that day. If the package isn't scanned before that time then you are late.

This part wasn’t sent to me but this is what I was told.
So just uploading the tracking number by midnight doesn’t count as meeting your handling time. Also you’ll be recognized for on-time shipping if tracking shows your item was either shipped within stated handling time or delivered by the estimated delivery date. If you can't show that your package was shipped within stated handling time and your package isn't delivered by the estimated delivery date that also lowers your rating. It doesn't matter if the post office shows that it sat somewhere for a couple days. If you ship priority mail and it says 3 days shipping if the delivered date isn't until the 4th or 5th day you get a negative mark in your dashboard. I was told by an eBay rep that maybe I should start sending FedEx or UPS. If I don't think it will get their in that alotted time then I should expedite the shipping.

@gerberdecoyrigs

That isn't a change, it's been like that for a while. There are two standards for shipping in order to remain a trs.  You have to upload tracking within your handling time and that item has to scanned by usps at least once. It doesn't matter when it is scanned.

The other shipping standard is on time shipping which is what you are referring to. All sellers are affected by that rating but the trs percentage and above standard rate can be different.  Your package has to have an acceptance scan by the shipping company within your handling time OR a delivery scan within the estimated delivery time.  If the acceptance scan is within your handling time, you don't get a late shipping mark if the item is delivered after the estimated delivery time. If the acceptance scan is late but the package was delivered in time, you don't get a late shipping mark.  If there is no tracking the buyer is asked when they leave feedback if the package arrived by a certain date and if they yes, there is no mark against you.  I can't remember how it works if the buyer is asked and tracking shows the item was late.

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

I don't believe we are talking about the same thing or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. I was told that it doesn't matter necessarily when you upload your tracking number because EBay now goes by the the date and time the post office scans your item. They gave me the example that if I sell Friday, Saturday, or Sunday then the post office has to scan it by 11:59:59pm Pacific standard time on Monday with one day handling. I believe this all changed August 1.

I was also told that if the post office did scan my item on Monday and the package stated 3 day shipping that if it went past the 4th day then the shipment was late. I live in a rural area and all post offices in my county go to one central post office and are loaded on trucks at approximately 3am. The individual I spoke to said the day the customer receives it is what their system tracks. I gave the example of me mailing it the day I got the order but it not being received by the customer until 6 business days later. According to him that goes against me. He said that I should bring my package to a different post office that scans and ships more frequently or use a different shipping company.

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

This is what happened to me on 9-5-17 - I dropped off my packages at the local po. I always stand in line and wait for each item to be scanned. I have the po receipt in hand for all packages.  Checking on tracking next day I see nothing for one specific item - all the rest showed up. Perplexed I worried it was lost but how could it be lost since  it's on the receipt? It showed up as scanned at the regional office on the 6th. Took receipt and tracking printout back to the PO on the 6th and asked for the manager. We went over the whole thing and he just had to shake his head and state he had no clue what happened.

So is ebay counting this as a late shipment for me? Guess I'll have to wait till October to see if that item turns up a a ding on my dashboard and if it does what can I do about it? I do have the receipt and it clearly states it was shippon on the day purchased. So there is a problem between the po and ebay.

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

There's a thread on a hidden board concerning same-day shipping that the cut-off times *MUST* be set to PACIFIC time or you will have late shipments, apparently that selector that allows you to set other timezones isn't working correctly.

It's under your Site/selling preferences, open Shipping preferences and then 

Order cut off time for same business day handling.

This one:

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

@gerberdecoyrigs

What you were told is partially correct. All sellers have to meet the on time requirements and that's what you are referring to. If your package isn't scanned during the handling time, it may still not be considered late if it is scanned as delivered before the est. arrival date. So  you need to have either an on time acceptance scan or an on time delivery scan.  But as I said, that is not new, it has been like that for a year or two.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html

Top rated sellers have to meet  on time shipping but they also have to upload the tracking number within their handling time and that package has to be scanned sometime during the shipping process. It used to be that 90% of packages had to meet that critieria but now it is 95%....that is the only recent change to shipping metrics that I'm aware of.  Perhaps you lost your trs status because of the change to 95%?  It's always a good idea to keep an eye on your dashboard as that tells you when you are getting close to having a problem.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html

For at least 95% of transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months, you must:
Upload a shipment tracking number to My eBay within your promised handling time, and
Have the shipping label scanned by the carrier. (Note: The carrier scan does not need to occur within your stated handling time to meet this requirement.)

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

Why not just have your mail carrier scan each package when they deliver your mail?

My carrier has no problem scanning packages I leave on the porch for him to pick up.

Message 30 of 39
latest reply