cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated Seller doesn't mean anything to eBay when you get scammed

Hello guys,

We're a long-time eBay seller. We just want to warn people about this scam that has happened to us.

Recently a buyer with zero feedback purchased two new Apple watches from us. We had a gut feeling because the buyer's address was at a warehouse. Long story short, he opened a return on the same day the item was delivered. His reason was "Sorry, some happens and I dont need it anymore. I didnt unpack anything".

Ebay provided the return shipping label with our correct address on there that we paid for it.  On July 01, 2021, he opened another case "Doesn't match the listing". Ebay went ahead and refunded the buyer the money. And yet we still haven't received our package back.  

We then checked the tracking number. The package is now going back to the scammer. We have reached out to the post office supervisor. The package has an "insufficient address" after scanned at the station. And was not attempt to deliver.  Also, the post office can't retrieve the package back to us.  In the past 18 years of doing business on eBay, we never have that issue.  

After providing all the evidence to eBay. They still side with the scammer. No luck after many appeals with eBay. We felt defeated. We have worked so hard by providing the best customer service on eBay.

We're now out of more than $1300. The scammer got his money back and two free brand new Apple watches.

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 16.57.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 11.09.50 AM.png

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Top Rated Seller doesn't mean anything to eBay when you get scammed

The only way to have seller protection on expensive items is to sell it in person and take cash, or USPS money orders.   That way eBay has no control of the money and cannot just refund the buyer, and there's no credit card or PayPal to go to either.  Which is probably part of why eBay banned mailed payments so long ago.  

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 

You know I've never been in this situation but OP should find out if that buyer scammer indeed sent back the two Apple watches ( I doubt) or did he just mail the OP a box of rocks? If OP could just get a hold of the postmaster that it's going to in NY and maybe the police would like to take a look at this package with the fraudulent address label. Geez what a mess.

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@mtgraves7984 

You know I've never been in this situation but OP should find out if that buyer scammer indeed sent back the two Apple watches ( I doubt) or did he just mail the OP a box of rocks? If OP could just get a hold of the postmaster that it's going to in NY and maybe the police would like to take a look at this package with the fraudulent address label. Geez what a mess.

Maybe a box of mangos? Lots of great tips. Thank you, everyone. 

We honestly don't want to spend any more time on this. Hopefully, the scammer enjoys his free brand-new series 6 Apple watches. 

Please add this buyer to your block list.  Hope everyone has a great 4th of July. Stay safe!

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

I'm confused..

If the package never made it back to the seller why can't they appeal the return?

Get real eyes on it- not just bots.. APPEAL

Message them on Facebook for business https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness 

There is something very VERY wrong here..

If you have tracking, showing the item is headed back to the "buyer" you should be able to get eBay to reverse that refund. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

I'm confused..

If the package never made it back to the seller why can't they appeal the return?

Get real eyes on it- not just bots.. APPEAL

Message them on Facebook for business https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness 

There is something very VERY wrong here..

If you have tracking, showing the item is headed back to the "buyer" you should be able to get eBay to reverse that refund. 

You would have thought right? But after many appeals, eBay kept telling us to change our return address and still side with the scammer.

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 18.11.58 PM.png

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

The only way to have seller protection on expensive items is to sell it in person and take cash, or USPS money orders. That way eBay has no control of the money and cannot just refund the buyer, and there's no credit card or PayPal to go to either. Which is probably part of why eBay banned mailed payments so long ago.

Each point you write is spot-on.

I had about 100 sales at a flea market last weekend.

Not one thing came back.

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

"Lots of great tips. Thank you, everyone."

@oldtechgadgets 

You are humble and loveable, just like Shoe Shine Boy. I bet you'd make a great Underdog, too. Godspeed.

P.S. There's a Super Energy Pill in your ring... 😉

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

UPDATE:  July 10th, 2021

Good news,  guys!

After submitted more evidence from the post office supervisor to Facebook eBay's page. eBay refunded the money back to us without any explanation.

The scammer altered both the "from and to" address numbers on the return shipping label provided by eBay.  He probably sent back an empty box. Once again, thank you for all your help.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 15.54.29 PM.png

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

I just KNEW you had some Underdog in you! Thank you for checking back in, @oldtechgadgets!!!

P.S. Never, ever underestimate the power of a Super Energy Pill. We all have them! 🤗

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

Oh thank God you notified Ebay on Facebook. Guess we all will have to do that and keep those people very busy with all the current scams that exist out there now and there are plenty of them involving mail fraud. Do not let this customer, get away with this crime. Report them for mail fraud to the postal service with all your evidence. This stuff stops one by one eliminating people who do this by putting them in jail.

Message 40 of 47
latest reply

@oldtechgadgets 

Yay!!!   Excellent news!  So glad they helped you!!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 41 of 47
latest reply

Thanks for updating us. I am glad to hear it was resolved in your favor. 

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

Right!  It's like they don't hear you or they are all bots.

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

@oldtechgadgets wrote:

UPDATE:  July 10th, 2021

Good news,  guys!

After submitted more evidence from the post office supervisor to Facebook eBay's page. eBay refunded the money back to us without any explanation.

The scammer altered both the "from and to" address numbers on the return shipping label provided by eBay.  He probably sent back an empty box. Once again, thank you for all your help.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 15.54.29 PM.png

I'm late to the party but had to comment.

So ebay clearly knows the buyer is a scammer yet the buyer is not NARU? Why not?!?!

I'm so glad this ended in your favor. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

I think there is at least one post a day on these Boards reporting some version of this scam, although the put the wrong address on it is a new one.

eBay has to be aware this is happening.  And you have to assume for every one rport on these boards there is some multiple more that are not is 10X, 50X 1000X times more?

One piece of advice, in addition to all the great advice others have given,  to the OP is make a report to the Better Business Bureau (bbb.org). These are public and eBay will likely have to respond.

eBay's mechanisms for returns is clearly deeply flawed. eBay want a trusted marketplace. However, they fail to see that seller trust is just as important as buyer trust. It used to be that way but eBay got off track.

There is absolutely NO way that any refund of money should take place until seller confirms receipt of the item /full stop. That is the way all retail including Amazon and Walmart works. Oftne with those kind of sites it can several weeks to process a refund.

Losses are a part of business so that you have to account for that. But they should be legitimate losses something breaks,  is really lost, loses value because was new when sent opened when returned, etc.. Most sellers can deal with that.

Sellers should not be subject to scams like the OP. eBay needs to make this a priority.

Message 45 of 47
latest reply