cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Limits On Your Listings

Well- here's a rule that eBay does not inform sellers- they simply hide your listings in eBay searches due to time limits .  All of my listings are BUY NOW. I compare my listings with other eBay seller's listings to see how mine perform.  Just completed a search on an item and it was not listed in IE, Chrome, Firefox.  Thinking I needed to add more key words, I tried again in the three platforms. NOTHING. I called eBay and explained my situation. WHAT!

I was astounded at what I heard the eBay rep say, 'That there are time limits on how long a listing will be seen on eBay searches. The rep did not respond when I asked, What is the time limit?'

The items still could be seen in my eBay store, but would not be included in eBay searches.

Has anyone else experienced this rule with your listings?  I have been selling on eBay since 2001 and have never experienced a problem as this one. **bleep**!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@shavingshop wrote:

Well- here's a rule that eBay does not inform sellers- they simply hide your listings in eBay searches due to time limits .  All of my listings are BUY NOW. I compare my listings with other eBay seller's listings to see how mine perform.  Just completed a search on an item and it was not listed in IE, Chrome, Firefox.  Thinking I needed to add more key words, I tried again in the three platforms. NOTHING. I called eBay and explained my situation. WHAT!

I was astounded at what I heard the eBay rep say, 'That there are time limits on how long a listing will be seen on eBay searches. The rep did not respond when I asked, What is the time limit?'

The items still could be seen in my eBay store, but would not be included in eBay searches.

Has anyone else experienced this rule with your listings?  I have been selling on eBay since 2001 and have never experienced a problem as this one. **bleep**!

Based on what another long-time seller here recently told me, I believe the time-limit you are referring to has to do with two things: stagnant and stale. If it did not sell at the first time, it becomes stagnant (but still exhibited in search, just not so highly). If, after three months the FP listing is still unsold, it becomes stale, at which point, ya know how it goes. I have zero evidence, just sharing what he told me. 

I wish search would return to generic, so every buyer could see ALL available items in the category they search for. However, it does not seem like eBay's love-affaire with Cassini will decline, soon, despite the loss in $$$ which many attribute directly to search issues. Have a nice evening

PW

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I am a low volume seller, selling in a niche market, so I need the "right" buyer to come along.

Since all fixed priced listings are GTC (Good Til Cancelled), where they show up in a search is dependent on many things.  I try to rotate the items I have by ENDING them at some point (3 months/4 months/etc) so they get a new item number and will be "newly listed" again.

I have a number of listings that will end on Feb 9 around 11am.  Do I end them now, or wait until tomorrow morning, when perhaps someone will find an item because it shows up in "ending soon" ?

In my Seller Hub, I added a column for End Date and Start Date, so I can see at a glance which listings might need ENDING before they renew again.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

This is an issue that has been very frustrating for me,  both as a seller and as a buyer.  ESPECIALLY as a buyer, because I keep my searches as non-specific as I can (I mostly buy clothes), and still, not a lot of items show up.  When I search again, suddenly there are a ton,  using the same parameters.  What makes it frustrating. is that, as a buyer, I am not being shown all options. Assuming this also happens to buyers looking for items (I also sell mostly clothes), it becomes even more frustrating  when I think somebody out there is looking for something, and there it is  in my listings, and they may never see it.

The only solution I have found to this is to push listing me as a favorite seller, which I don't like to do.  I put this in each of my listings, and hope it makes a difference:

"Did you know?  Ebay doesn't show all items matching your search criteria.  Click the “see other items” link to view ALL my inexpensive new and pre-owned items."

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I just searched for an item which I have had listed since 2015.........it showed up in the search.........fourth item down from the top.  I did not expect to find it.  Go figure.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Yes this all Started with GTC last March and what other "CHANGES" since that we don't even know about ...I believe my newly listed items are only shown 100% for first 2-3 hrs and then go to some sort of abyss/disappear near the Bottom if at ALL till near the end....Been here since 2004....I have Changed Nothing but EBAY Does....So Yes I Totally Agree That Our Items are not on Display 100% of the Term of the Listing...You will never know the whole truth ..Kind of Like either watching CNN or Fox News....Believe What You Will....I no it's Tough but Good Luck Everyone....😀😀
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks to all who  responded.  The one listing I was referring to did have a long list time but sold over 400 items. I always thought as long as an item had continuous sales it would be OK.  Obviously  not.  I ended all of my listings and a few hours later relisted them and will now do once a year.  Sales have not been good since- don't know why.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Have you ever really read the user agreement????

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259

6. Listing Conditions

When listing an item for sale on eBay Services, you agree to comply with eBay's Listing policies and Selling practices policy and that:

• You are responsible for the accuracy and content of the listing and item offered,
  • Your listing may not be immediately searchable by keyword or category for several hours (or up to 24 hours in some circumstances). eBay can't guarantee exact listing durations,
  • Your fixed-price listings currently renew automatically every 30 days, based on the listing terms at that time, until the quantities sell out or until you cancel the listing. Effective July 1, 2019, your fixed-price listings may renew automatically every calendar month, based on the listing terms at the time, until all quantities sell or the listing is ended by you or eBay, in its sole discretion,
  • Content that violates any of eBay's policies may be modified, obfuscated or deleted at eBay's discretion,
  • We may revise product data associated with listings to supplement, remove, or correct information,
  • We strive to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for. Therefore, the appearance or placement of listings in search and browse results will depend on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to:
    • buyer's location, search query, browsing site, and history;
    • item's location, listing format, price and shipping cost, terms of service, end time, history, and relevance to the user query;
    • seller's history, including listing practices, Detailed Seller Ratings, eBay policy compliance, Feedback, and defect rate; and
    • number of listings matching the buyer's query,
  • To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer,
For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply